Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merit Placing

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JP84

i read on another thread that a NRC merit list of 235 from last years campaign just got a call on tuesday and they had been waiting 18months!! dont understand why they ran another campaign if they still had people to take from last year!! how far down the list are they going to go???

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

JP84 wrote: »
    i read on another thread that a NRC merit list of 235 from last years campaign just got a call on tuesday and they had been waiting 18months!! dont understand why they ran another campaign if they still had people to take from last year!! how far down the list are they going to go???

Someone people take over year to clear vetting thou and the freeze has had a knock on effect as if I'm right c16 was first due to start in Oct .

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

somebody just got the call with a 900-1000 merit placing
    not begrudging the candidate, if it was me i wouldn't be complaining like!
    with that said, answer me this,
    "what is the point in merit placing at all?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

somebody just got the call with a 900-1000 merit placing
    not begrudging the candidate, if it was me i wouldn't be complaining like!
    with that said, answer me this,
    "what is the point in merit placing at all?"

He was a RC.

So it all depends on how many RCs were above him.

If he had been an NRC, he would have recieved a dear John letter about a year ago.

50/50 adds another dimension to the merit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Maybe the RC-NRC ratioo is final merit pool is something like 1:4

My merit score was crap but I hope I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Not wanting to add to the whole 50/50 debate (something I've pretty much stayed out of while at the boards) BUT..........

The simple fact of the matter is there are far more NRC's than RC's that apply for the PSNI. That very simple fact means that there will inevitably be RC's with much lower (or higher, whatever way you want to look at it) merit scores than NRC's getting offered places.

Its a fact of life, whether you agree with it or not, and my personal opinion, being a serving member now for almost 2 years, is that no matter what your score in the IST and the Assessment centre to be given a place on that list reflects how you will perform as a police officer. Somebody right at the top of the list could be an absolute tool who just knows what the markers are looking and be a sh*t cop. Somebody, like my soon to be coleague who is in the 900 - 1000 bracket might be one of the best to come out of Garnerville.

How you perform as a train station manager or whatever in the AC doesn't set you up to do well in Garnerville. And better still, how well you perform in roleplays etc in Garnerville in no way sets you up to be a good peeler. You're training starts once you hit your station, and by that stage nobody will care one bit whether you are RC/NRC or number 1 or 1000th on the merit list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Agree with all of the above.

ok, fully understand the boutye post, i have thought the ins and outs of what you posted a million times, but the fact is, this is a merit placing system, which means there is a bench mark process in place, on the "drumed up merit placing list on these boards" there is half a dozen rc's with a far higher score than 900, with a rough intake of 50 canditates is the suggestion from recruitment people telling us that there was only 25 suitable candidtates at this time, one of which had a merit placing in the 900's last year and 1000's this year.
    and, i'm sure there is plenty of peelers out there who did well in their role and are crap cops, i'm also sure there is plenty of people out there how should be cops and aren't, for what ever reason they've been deared john'd. read back through a load of posts from one patricular candidate, pure sense and logic all the way through, admired some of them actually, dear john this year.

50/50 is harsh, but i think deep down we all understand the bigger picture on that score.

again, no offence to the candidate, you but yourself in for this process and got where you wanted to be. good luck and be safe i to really mean that, would hate to think of somebody who maybe sat in a room with me getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Having spoken to a few friends in the job, they all agree with what Boutye said. The IST and AC are taken in artificial environments and don't really reflect how suitable somebody is for the job and from past experience, the more you do it, more confident you are the next time round (although I managed to disprove this in this year's ac!). i know of only one person who got in on their first attempt. I also heard that this is one of the reasons that GV is so tough. Ultimately, the recruitment process is there to allocate places. I don't know why those RCs with higher merit scores weren't called this week, but to everyone who was phoned, congratulations!!

• Advertisement

ok, fully understand the boutye post, i have thought the ins and outs of what you posted a million times, but the fact is, this is a merit placing system, which means there is a bench mark process in place, on the "drumed up merit placing list on these boards" there is half a dozen rc's with a far higher score than 900, with a rough intake of 50 canditates is the suggestion from recruitment people telling us that there was only 25 suitable candidtates at this time, one of which had a merit placing in the 900's last year and 1000's this year.
    and, i'm sure there is plenty of peelers out there who did well in their role and are crap cops, i'm also sure there is plenty of people out there how should be cops and aren't, for what ever reason they've been deared john'd. read back through a load of posts from one patricular candidate, pure sense and logic all the way through, admired some of them actually, dear john this year.

50/50 is harsh, but i think deep down we all understand the bigger picture on that score.

again, no offence to the candidate, you but yourself in for this process and got where you wanted to be. good luck and be safe i to really mean that, would hate to think of somebody who maybe sat in a room with me getting injured.

Forgive if I've picked you up wrong but you seem to have missed the point of my post. Its just shear bad luck for NRC's trying to get in because there are so many more of them applying. Thats why so many more of them have higher scores than RCs - its an enevitability.

Ultimately, yes your merit place makes a difference on whether you are offered a place or not, but in the same token, ultimately your Merit place doesnt make one single bit of difference on how good an officer your going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Yamman

goodness me, I seem to have caused quite a stir :confused:, I didnt mean to get anyone's back up or rub anyone with a good merit score's nose in it, all I was doing was giving people (who like me this time last week, thought all was lost due to a rubbish merit score,) a bit of hope to know that all isnt lost and as boutye said, rubbish merit score, could be a great cop, how does answering few questions and doing a few role plays prepare you for what you could face on the street, like a serving officer said to me, "garnervilles hard, but wait to your on the street, thats when the real training starts"

so again sorry if anyone seems to thing I'm gloating or whatever it definately wasnt the case, all I was doing was trying to give people in similar boat to myself a bit of hope.

Yamman wrote: »
    "garnervilles hard, but wait to your on the street, thats when the real training starts"

Exactly right. Congratulations and welcome to the team :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Yamman

BoutYe wrote: »
    Exactly right. Congratulations and welcome to the team :D

Thanks buddy, to say i can not wait is an understatement

you have picked me up wrong

i totally agree with what your saying about merit placing and actual policing. (i have thought the ins and outs of what you posted a million times, was what i meant by this)
    i'm sure in the past its been the case many times that high merit placing = crap cop and vice a versa.

what i was trying to get at and i can understand why you may have picked me up wrong, (i should have been clearer) is

RC, no real merit placing, whoevers paper work clears fast (for whatever reason, and i'm been told on the phone from appointsments that it is the case if you've moved around, big family etc your application is disadvantaged over a, live at home, one brother for example applications) and your in.

NRC, merit placing actually counts

i'm RC by the way, i'm just pis**d off that that my addresses and family addresses read like a phone book!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

You have given me hope, Yamman:) My merit score is rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

Gave me some genuine hope also. I do appreciate you lettimg me know Yamman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 zzz101z

Hey people, just got word from a reliable source that there will be at least six more intakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭JP84

surely they are bound to start taking people from C16 soon. what was the point in even opening up a new campaign if they still had people to call up from C15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Yamman wrote: »
    "garnervilles hard"

The only hard part about garnerville is getting accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

hi all im so new to this its rediculous, i dont really know were to start here, i think im in the same boat as you, ive had my vetting and medical and passed etc but dont really know where i stand now anybody give me any info??

help?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 lushguy57

Hi all,
    I'm merit placing 450-460

What does this actually mean? Like is that my own individual number, or could 5 people share the same one?

Say I got 58 in ist and same in ac, i'm sure tons of people recieved exactly the same score as me because I assume scores are fairly similar accross the board, why would they have a higher or lower merit place??

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

The merit placing is your unique place on the list.

It goes by AC score first, then IST score, but I don't really know what they do if you get exact same in both.

Did you by any chance score 55 in AC and 57 or less in the IST?

My merit place is just above yours.

lushguy57 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm merit placing 450-460

What does this actually mean? Like is that my own individual number, or could 5 people share the same one?

Say I got 58 in ist and same in ac, i'm sure tons of people recieved exactly the same score as me because I assume scores are fairly similar accross the board, why would they have a higher or lower merit place??

Something not right with your figures. I got 57 in AC and I'm over 150 places higher than you in the merit list.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

They didn't say they got 58 etc, they said 'say i got 58.........'

With that merit place they probably got the same ac score as me - 55

wanadrum wrote: »
    They didn't say they got 58 etc, they said 'say i got 58.........'

With that merit place they probably got the same ac score as me - 55

I see. I picked their post up wrongly.

Advertisement