Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC with 2 Phone Lines

• 31-08-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

For those of you with UPC who have a phone service can you explain how it is configured? i.e. does the phone line run off the router they supply for broadband? What if you want the phone downstairs and the broadband upstairs BUT you do not want the phone connected to the router upstairs e.g. there is no signal from upstairs to downstairs for example?

I have requested a second phone in a home/office in a shed to the side of the house. I have paid for an engineer to run a cable to it. How will they connect a phone to the end of the cable? Will they have to place another router at the end of the second cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are two rj11 sockets on the modems that UPC provides, so I'd imagine that they can be used to provide two separate phone lines if you want. As for the phone connection downstairs, if you have a phone connection upstairs then you could always isolate the external phone line and then plug the modem into the phone line. Then all the phone ports around the house should work as they did when you had a line with eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are two ways to do this:
    1) Extend coax cable and have a 2nd modem with ATA (phone port). The router features are only for user broadband.

2) Or add a Cat3 or Cat5 phone cable to 2nd ATA port on existing Modem/Router.

I have two phone ports on a Modem (not UPC). One is a local DECT base with two handsets. The other goes via Cat3 cable to another room which has a Fax. The "handset" port of the Fax has a 2nd DECT base with two handsets. The non-Fax number is my original eircom number ported.

I have no idea which solution UPC use. They may even do one or the other depending on circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hmm.. Need to get back onto them to confirm so.

Guessing it means I need 3 routers so if each location has no wired / wireless access to the other. One for broadband upstairs, one for phone only downstairs, and one for phone only in the office / shed. Seems a bit excessive tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Probably phone wires from the SINGLE Modem/Router to the two phone locations is cheapest and best method. But it's up to UPC.

Advertisement