Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio News

• 31-08-2010 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

So, listening to a few news bulletins this morning and nobody calls a spade a spade, so to speak. Especially concerning the death of someone: One said that ********** had 'passed away' another said that "The death has taken place of ***********". What's all that about? "Death has taken place"? Passed away? Why not just say what happened? Such and such a person died today!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

You have a lot to be worried about, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

'Fell off the twig' is my favorite euphemism or this side of the country a lot of people say he's 'gone west' .... Dead just sounds so final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Ah now, in fairness. If they reported it as “XOXOXO IS DEAD ! “ You would be giving out at the tabloid nature of the report. They are trying to give a little respect to a talented actor, and breaking the sad news in the best way they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Callan57 wrote: »
    Dead just sounds so final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And it's not final?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm, I agree but I'm a nasty atheist Brit so have no time for this euphemistic BS that the media deal in.

"He's dead Jim"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I dunno... I reckon that saying someone "passed away peacefully in his sleep" (which, if you're talking about Mick Lally, apparently he did) sounds better and more respectful than "died last night", "dropped dead" or just "IS DEAD!!!"...

News script writers and readers (generally) choose their words quite carefully.

"The death has taken place of..." does sound a little cold though alright, especially when it's a much loved and respected personality...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Callan57 wrote: »
    'Fell off the twig' is my favorite euphemism or this side of the country a lot of people say he's 'gone west' .... Dead just sounds so final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like "Popped his clogs"

Well, I don't expect the news reader to say "dropped dead". Even I'm not that callous;). I just reckon they should say it staright: 'the person died' rather than the ould beating about the wotsit as they do.

Well, I don't expect the news reader to say "dropped dead". Even I'm not that callous;). I just reckon they should say it staright: 'the person died' rather than the ould beating about the wotsit as they do.

The news would be very boring if scripts just contained strictly exact terms with no euphamisms. If I was scripting and reading today, I'd have probably used a mixture of "has passed away..." and "has died..." in different bulletins.

"Popped his clogs" and "fell of the twig" PROBABLY wouldn't get into the script, I reckon...!

They should though! Although I'd expect it from Spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

yeah, in news reports people don't get arrested, they "are helping the gardai with their inquires".

Bobby42 wrote: »
    yeah, in news reports people don't get arrested, they "are helping the gardai with their inquires".

Ha that's my favorite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭coletti

I often hear the news readers saying that a car crashed into an obstacle. It's never said it was driven into an obstacle. Which, of course, it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Bobby42 wrote: »

Helping or assisting the gardai is legally a world away from being arrested.

It isn't scripted that way for the laugh, newsrooms go on what they get from the Garda Press Office, if a release says a "47 year old man was arrested" the script will say that.

giftgrub wrote: »
    It isn't scripted that way for the laugh, newsrooms go on what they get from the Garda Press Office, if a release says a "47 year old man was arrested" the script will say that.
    Sadly, most Newsrooms in Ireland work solely from press releases. The days of the reporter going digging for a story are gone. Hence why they are at a loss when the Dail is on holidays. No press releases whizzing in from our hardworking politicians. More laziness in our media.

Sadly, most Newsrooms in Ireland work solely from press releases. The days of the reporter going digging for a story are gone. Hence why they are at a loss when the Dail is on holidays. No press releases whizzing in from our hardworking politicians. More laziness in our media.

The resources arent there for "digging".

But my point on the issue of saying "arrested" or not still stands. Someone "helping with enquiries" is not under arrest.

The resources arent there for "digging".
    Really? The great hacks of the past didn't need much "resources". Just a good pair of legs and a little intelligence. CJ Haughey must be spinning in his grave to think if he'd been around two decades later nobody would've noticed his little misdemeanours.

There's more resources at the disposal of a good Journalsit now than there ever was. For research purposes, they have access to F.O.I. material, Internet etc etc. They just have comfier chairs now in air conditioned newsrooms. And bosses who don't expect too much from them.

Really? The great hacks of the past didn't need much "resources". Just a good pair of legs and a little intelligence. CJ Haughey must be spinning in his grave to think if he'd been around two decades later nobody would've noticed his little misdemeanours.

There's more resources at the disposal of a good Journalsit now than there ever was. For research purposes, they have access to F.O.I. material, Internet etc etc. They just have comfier chairs now in air conditioned newsrooms. And bosses who don't expect too much from them.

Thats all well and good in a national newspaper where they can afford 15 euro a pop for dozens of FOI requests and the time to work on a story.

However in a commercial radio newsroom, you have three to 5 minutes an hour to fill to make up your 20 percent under BAI regs.

There isnt the time or cash for long haul work

Press releases do play a part, but there is leg work too. Standing in the p**ssing rain outside government buildings waiting on pay talks, heading to some kip estate at 5 in the morning for a shooting.

Believe me I've been there!!

Press releases do play a part, but there is leg work too. Standing in the p**ssing rain outside government buildings waiting on pay talks, heading to some kip estate at 5 in the morning for a shooting.

Believe me I've been there!!
    So have I :(. The points you make, though, are about stories that are all well covered by press releases. No Politician farts in Leinster House without his flunkies knocking out a press release to announce it. Pay talks etc and even the mob killings are all well covered by press officers. I'm talking about hacks going out and finding a story that hasn't been flagged up.

Maybe the mods might prefer to break this off into a separate thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Sadly, most Newsrooms in Ireland work solely from press releases.... The days of the reporter going digging for a story are gone.

Don't you know Facebook needs updating and the weekends photos need to be uploaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

So have I :(. The points you make, though, are about stories that are all well covered by press releases. No Politician farts in Leinster House without his flunkies knocking out a press release to announce it. Pay talks etc and even the mob killings are all well covered by press officers. I'm talking about hacks going out and finding a story that hasn't been flagged up.

Just aint got the money for it no more, there's maybe 4/5 people working in Newsrooms to fill the whole week now which really doesn't give ya much scope for running around trying to dig up a story which may or may not be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Just aint got the money for it no more, there's maybe 4/5 people working in Newsrooms to fill the whole week now which really doesn't give ya much scope for running around trying to dig up a story which may or may not be there

Same constraints on the drivetime shows as well. I'm sure we've all played Done to Death Bingo with Matt/Hook/PBH when they announce their evening line-ups. Its a rare day you'll get a story at 4.30pm on any station that hadnt been battered to within an inch of its life, possibly 5 times, earlier in the day.

Amazing the way you'll, ok i'll, still listen, even unto Coleman at 10.00 o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭coletti

Helping or assisting the gardai is legally a world away from being arrested.

"helping" or "assisting" the gardai is a term which has no legal standing or consequences.

While we are all aware it is code indicating that the gardai think the person helping or assisting them is guilty, many who help or assist the gardai walk away with no charges or associated guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

coletti wrote: »
    I often hear the news readers saying that a car crashed into an obstacle. It's never said it was driven into an obstacle. Which, of course, it was.

Of course it wasn't!!!

Maybe it skidded out of control into an obstacle.

It certainly wasn't being driven in that situation

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bard wrote: »

"The death has taken place of..." does sound a little cold though alright, especially when it's a much loved and respected personality...

The job of the news reader is to deliver the news in a matter of fact way
    without emotion of opinion.

One man's much loved and respect personality can be anothers annoyance.

coletti wrote: »
    "helping" or "assisting" the gardai is a term which has no legal standing or consequences.

While we are all aware it is code indicating that the gardai think the person helping or assisting them is guilty, many who help or assist the gardai walk away with no charges or associated guilt.

My point is that you cant say someone is under arrest when they're not.

Garda Press will tell you if they're under arrest, if you ask they'll tell you under what act (Offences against the State etc) and they'll give you a period of detention.

CJ Haughey must be spinning in his grave to think if he'd been around two decades later nobody would've noticed his little misdemeanours.

Do you honestly believe that there's is less of a focus on the activities of Politicians today that there were in C.J's days ? Sounds to me like you're out of touch with reality on this subject.

The Muppet wrote: »
    The job of the news reader is to deliver the news in a matter of fact way
    without emotion of opinion.

No offense but I know what the job of a newsreader is.

While emotion or opinion are generally not part and parcel of bulletin scripts, whether they factor at all into a newsreader's on-air performance is more down to the style of the particular station. It will be different, say, if you're on Newstalk to how it would be if you're on Spin or iRadio.

Given the choice of saying "the death has occurred of X", "X is dead" or "X has passed away", I'd still go with whatever sounded right to me, dependent on who "X" is, how sensational a story it is, and what they meant to my target audience.

All that said, "the death has occurred of..." always reminds me of a death notice on a community station...

Bard wrote: »
    No offense but I know what the job of a newsreader is.

While emotion or opinion are generally not part and parcel of bulletin scripts, whether they factor at all into a newsreader's on-air performance is more down to the style of the particular station. It will be different, say, if you're on Newstalk to how it would be if you're on Spin or iRadio.

Given the choice of saying "the death has occurred of X", "X is dead" or "X has passed away", I'd still go with whatever sounded right to me, dependent on who "X" is, how sensational a story it is, and what they meant to my target audience.

All that said, "the death has occurred of..." always reminds me of a death notice on a community station...

IMO news should be read not presented. I understand this may not fit into the Youth stations format.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 websitedesign

For about 26 years between 1949 until 1985, Radio adhered to a government policy called The Fairness Doctrine. After it was eliminated, conservative talk radio made a stunning rise in popularity, led by Rush Limbaugh. Now, some critics are calling for The Fairness Doctrine to be brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

For about 26 years between 1949 until 1985, Radio adhered to a government policy called The Fairness Doctrine. After it was eliminated, conservative talk radio made a stunning rise in popularity, led by Rush Limbaugh. Now, some critics are calling for The Fairness Doctrine to be brought back.

That only applies to the USA. In the Republic of Ireland the BAI still regularly listen to stations outputs to make sure news and information content is not biast.

Advertisement