Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Agressiveness between dogs

Options
  • 31-08-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im pretty familiar with the reasons and the theory behind food agressiveness between dogs....the whole establishing the pack leader etc etc....but Id appreciate it if anyone had any tips or advice on how to alleviate it.

We have a 9 month old GSD, ruby (female), who is a star of a dog. On sunday we brought home Marlowe (male), a 2-3 year old recsue white GSD. They get on like a house on fire and Ive never seen two dogs sooo loved up....until it comes time for feeding time or treats etc. Marlowe is extremely aggressive towards Ruby at this point.
    Ive been feeding them separate to try and stop this, but in the long term Id prefer to remove this problem.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Food is the one item where even the most friendly and placid of dogs may get a bit aggressive.

With our three, over time, we have reached a point where (boring) kibble can be left there for all and sundry to "graze" on without trouble. But as soon as anything out of the ordinary appears in the bowl, we still have to separate them.

Save yourself the trouble and hassle of festering resentment among the dogs and keep feeding them seperately ...it helps immensly to establish and keep calm between dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

do you know Marley's history? He may have had to fight for food in the past / gone without food for long periods of time.

I would definitely agree and say just feed them separately and plan on doing it long term, its not really fair on them to be stressed during dinner time.

is it just with their dinner that they are fighting, or are they beginning to guard toys / people / other resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

He's had a pretty rough time of it Creedons. He was rescued from a druggies house by the Gardai in an awful state. Had been very badly neglected for a long time and is still on medication.
    Aside from the food the two dogs cannot get enough of each other. I think you guys have answered my question for me and it looks like feeding separate from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I have the same issue with my Jack and the 2 dogs we have just moved in with, I have had her since she was 12 weeks old and have never had this problem before but all of a sudden she is protective over her food and her highest value toys (frisbee)
    We have decided to continue to feed them in seperate rooms most or the time and she only gets to play with her frisbee when she is on her own.

It does seem to be improving over time (it's only been 6 weeks so far) so fingers crossed it will continue to get better. Everytime she reacts negatively to the other dogs she is put in a room on her own for a few minutes to calm down.

I haven't figured out how to improve the frisbee issue yet though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I haven't figured out how to improve the frisbee issue yet though :o

More frisbees than dogs ;)

Its difficult to carry more than one in your mouth at a time.

• Advertisement

haha she puts them around her neck!! we have 3 and as she catches them she throws her head back and puts them on like a necklace :D we then have to bribe her to sit still so we can take them off and start again:o

Attached pic show her with one of them around her neck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Attached pic show her with one of them around her neck :D

Ah that's cheating...clever dog ! :D

Advertisement