Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you head off, into the wilderness... With Bear Grylls?!

• 31-08-2010 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hellz yeah I would.. We'd be making night traps for predators eating worms and killing crocodiles on the harshest terrain.. then I'd ride him in his sleep..

For those of you who don't know this living legend. Have a look here.

So.. Would you do it for a few days?

Would you go into the wilderness with Bear Grylls? 112 votes

Hell yeah
    0% 0 votes
    Hell no
    58% 66 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    41% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I dont like eating faeces... so NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hes a fraud, so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Hell yes

Think of all those 5 star hotels you get to stay in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Sykk wrote: »
    Hellz yeah I would.. We'd be making night traps for predators eating worms and killing crocodiles on the harshest terrain.. then I'd ride him in his sleep..

you're a chick right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Yep, the only thing is i would probably die out there because there is not a hope i would kill anything except fish, and i would not eat anything raw except fruit n veg. I would go for the adventure....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd rather head off into the wilderness alone... or at least with someone who isn't so smug and irritating.

Also, I'd go to the ACTUAL wilderness.

EDIT: Is that just a white box for everyone else? Can't seem to embed youtube videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Only if his cameraman was there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

His brother, Wolf Stirfry, is much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Would you head off, into the wilderness... With Bear Grylls

Prefer Wolf Stirfry to be honest.

*Looks up at Brendogs post*
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I've entered the MATRIX.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'd rather go into the wilderness with Brutus the bear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Give me Les Stroud or Ray Mears anyday...although if you like 5 star hotels by all means go with "Poo Bear".

"Hello! My name is Bear Grylls. I'm gonna show you how to survive in increasingly less dangerous areas, while doing thing a survivalist wouldn't do"

" First we'll cross the vast desert of the Sahara with nothing but the clothes on our back, and a pocket knife. Stopping to examine everything that can kill me in detail."
    "After a couple of seasons I'll show you how to survive if you happen to be 5 miles outside of glasgow. Like the Sahara, I'll be stopping to eat everything that can kill me, including berries, ivy and chipper food."

"I'll also show you how to scale cliffs larger than my nose and pretend to slip. When we get back to civilisation I'll then show you how to edit in a G note on a violin to make the scene tense!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I'd rather go into the wilderness with Brutus the bear

Da ya think hes done it with the bear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd go anywhere with Bear Grylls!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus one on Ray Mears. None of this jumping around for him. Oh no. The lad likes his comfort. He doesnt just survive in the wild, he lives in it. He sets up a proper shelter, not just some lazy lash up of twigs, gets himself nice and snug and then gets a slap up meal together. Then whittles up a telly for entertainment. None of this, living in damp clothes, biting the heads of snakes, eating rotten sheep and drinking your own píss stuff of the Bear fella. I read somewhere oul Ray went off into some wilderness for a month and came out a few extra kilos heavier and he's not a scrawny bloke to start with. Nuff said really.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus one on Ray Mears. None of this jumping around for him. Oh no. The lad likes his comfort. He doesnt just survive in the wild, he lives in it. He sets up a proper shelter, not just some lazy lash up of twigs, gets himself nice and snug and then gets a slap up meal together. Then whittles up a telly for entertainment. None of this, living in damp clothes, biting the heads of snakes, eating rotten sheep and drinking your own píss stuff of the Bear fella. I read somewhere oul Ray went off into some wilderness for a month and came out a few extra kilos heavier and he's not a scrawny bloke to start with. Nuff said really.

And he can always get a cup of tea out of something or somewhere....Thats the fella ye want surviving the apocaplypse, not sea-water up the hole Grylls....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Grylls is a twat. Honestly, there's probably people who would take his advice (despite the warnings on the show) when in a survival situation and end up worse off than if they hadn't. It's entertaining and cringe-worthy to watch but that's about it

He always talks about everything he did in the army.

Everything except the butt-shecks

I think its a great show I didn't realize the dislike people appear to have for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Would rather be with Ray Mears instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd like to head to the West of Ireland with him, and then point out that there is, in all likelyhood, a house just down the road that would have people willing to put him up for the night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its a bit of escapist crack alright and Bear's a good one for it and seems a nice bloke, but survival info? Naw. The Ray Mears lad gives you so much more. History, real info, less hype. Plus like I said, if given a choice to head off into the bush between the two, I'm calling shotgun on the taking it easy, living in comfort chunky bloke. A hunter gatherer with the makings of a beer belly(and the ability to actually brew the stuff in the wild) is a far better bet than some uberfit hyperactive ex SAS bloke in my humble. I like my comfort. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its amazing how he travels through these wilderness places all alone except for the camera crew, first aid personel, local guides & trackers & stunt advisors.

Oh & the episode where he drinks the liquid content of an animal turd - FFS?:rolleyes:

I think its a great show I didn't realize the dislike people appear to have for it.

It's because of the fakery...and the fact much of its plain madness. While no survival expert, I know enough to say that going through unknown caves/mines without the right gear, on your own, with no-one knowing your down there is absolute lunacy. Doing it as some sort of 'quick way' down a mountain is the equivalent to finding a good steep part you can jump straight off.

Terry wrote: »
    I'd like to head to the West of Ireland with him, and then point out that there is, in all likelyhood, a house just down the road that would have people willing to put him up for the night.
    Sure didnt he grow up there? In his programme about the west of Ireland there was probably locals watching going "oh there's the Grylls lad again. Lovely fella, but you would think he would have grown out of that by now" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Terry wrote: »

If it's the north west, the guesthouse is the far side of the carpark which is behind the cameraman. Beats sheepskin and has beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I pity his crew - his cameraman has to take the real risks and follow Bear everywhere while holding onto a big lump of a camera. One of his coordinators makes a point of eating whatever Bear eats - the raw goat's testicles was a step too far even for him though.

I reckon Bear might just take the Steve Irwin route and meet his comeuppance one of these days - there's not too many more wild places left to explore at this stage and to keep the ratings up, the stunts are bound to get more dangerous. He had a lucky escape in one of the episodes jumping onto a rotten log that broke and was swept away down a deep gully. Didn't faze good old Bear though.

Sure didnt he grow up there? In his programme about the west of Ireland there was probably locals watching going "oh there's the Grylls lad again. Lovely fella, but you would think he would have grown out of that by now" :D

"don't be offerin him tea maura...he's "on a mission"....'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You go on ahead OP....i'm off into the kitchen here to polish off 6 superquinn sausages that are cooking nicely on the frying pan, then i'm going to lie up on the couch and give my sack a good scratch while watching a show about an eejit who "pretends" to survive out in the wilderness........

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Even tough I'd rather Ray Mears, The Bears C.V is quite impressive http://www.beargrylls.com/biography.html

The youngest briton to climb everest (23) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd rather grill him & feed him to a bear, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

+1 for Ray Mears. Seems like a nice chap too; someone you could enjoy the wilderness with. Grills is too hyper and Christian for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i was watching his show one day and he was in the west of ireland. As was said, he could just walk to one of the houses but anyway..

He was going on about watching where you were going etc and then all of a sudden he disappered. He had fallen into a limestone fissure that was hidden under a load of heather.

I nearly spat me tea out i was laughing so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I'll just leave this here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Haters gonna hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

clived2 wrote: »
    Hell yes

Think of all those 5 star hotels you get to stay in

That was the only the first season, it always says it now if he didn't stay.
    When he says it could save your life it doesn't mean it will, it'll just improve your chances.
    Anyone see the episode where he found some plant that slows your heartbeat down? He said if you're bitten by a snake and chewed on the leaves it will stop the venom travelling through your body as quick and buy you more time to get anti-venom. I think some people expect him to let a cobra bite him to see if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Grimes wrote: »
    Da ya think hes done it with the bear?

He roides him bearback.

Just because BG stays in hotels, doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff. He still shoots the informative things. I don't get all this hatin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Shagging a sheep in Ireland .. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

How many bears could Bear grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Wibbs has hit the nail on the head - have any of you actually watched Ray?

He makes the arctic seem positively cosy! The man can light a fire with nothing but water!!

Perfect example was the ep where he's roasting this boar he's caught over a log fire. The man whittles a basting brush out of a piece of wood, so he can coat the roasting crackling with honey he's lifted. I was freaking starving watching him cook it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

WindSock wrote: »
    He roides him bearback.

Just because BG stays in hotels, doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff. He still shoots the informative things. I don't get all this hatin'.

I would think its because the premise of his show is that he is placed into the wild and expected to survive on his skill set. Which doesn't exist, so instead they manufacture "situations" in which a normal person would not get into and in which a person stupid enough to do so would be dead anyway. And then produce some extremely situational "tip" which is usually gross or involves the use of a item you would never have. The bird **** ass enema linked to early on is a great example. I would hope that anybody stranded on a raft with surgical tubing would also have a radio.

Ray Mears on the other hand has a survival skill set that is insane. Watch the series where he goes off to the jungle with Ewan McGregor. Ewan wants to kill him by the end because Ray is casually sauntering around and Ewan is in pure hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nodin wrote: »
    It's because of the fakery...and the fact much of its plain madness. While no survival expert, I know enough to say that going through unknown caves/mines without the right gear, on your own, with no-one knowing your down there is absolute lunacy. Doing it as some sort of 'quick way' down a mountain is the equivalent to finding a good steep part you can jump straight off.
    How is it fake? The guy was in the Special Air service. He would know more about this sort of thing than any of us. Its a TV show aimed to entertain and educate. He isn't actually FIGHTING for his live but he does teach you simple but really effective survivial tips which could work in real situations.

Not fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

He won't let me go with him, he only takes people from the Shpeshul Forshes!

KeithAFC wrote: »
    How is it fake?

I'm glad you asked
    Fake 1 wrote:
    The network issued a statement Monday in response to an investigation launched by British television network Channel 4, which carries the program under the title "Born Survivor: Bear Grylls." Channel 4 confirmed that host Bear Grylls had partaken of indoor accommodations on at least two occasions when his series had depicted him spending the night in the wild.
    Fake 2 wrote:
    But among the charges made against Grylls is that a raft he is depicted as having built himself actually was constructed and then disassembled by consultants to the show in order for the host to put it together.
    Fake 3 wrote:
    In another episode, Grylls happens upon what are referred to as wild horses that were said to be brought in from a trekking station.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2439321520070724

In the latest episode of TV series, yet to be broadcast on Channel 4, he is filmed amid billowing clouds of white gas seeping from the crust of the lava field.

Sulphur dioxide certainly is poisonous, but the smoke seen in the show had been faked by the production crew, the Sunday Times reported.
    "Sulphur dioxide fumes are colourless and you can't see it, so smoke generators were used off-screen to make the existing fumes seem visible," said a safety adviser.
    According to insiders, the red glow of the molten magma which he warned could incinerate him 'in seconds' was supplemented by burning hot coals brought in by members of the production team.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-474866/Bear-Grylls-faked-toxic-volcanic-fumes-smoke-machine-new-Born-Survivor-fake-row.html#ixzz0yCTHsBud

...wouldn't get Ray Mears or the Canadian fellah sneaking a bale of briquettes off with them, let alone that crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

triseke wrote: »
    i was watching his show one day and he was in the west of ireland. As was said, he could just walk to one of the houses but anyway..

He was going on about watching where you were going etc and then all of a sudden he disappered. He had fallen into a limestone fissure that was hidden under a load of heather.

I nearly spat me tea out i was laughing so hard.

I remember that episode. At one point you can actually see a car pass in the background :pac:

Zulu wrote: »
    Wibbs has hit the nail on the head - have any of you actually watched Ray?

He makes the arctic seem positively cosy! The man can light a fire with nothing but water!!

Perfect example was the ep where he's roasting this boar he's caught over a log fire. The man whittles a basting brush out of a piece of wood, so he can coat the roasting crackling with honey he's lifted. I was freaking starving watching him cook it.
    That's what I mean exactly! He buggers off to some unyielding wilderness and comes out fatter than when he went in. I love watching him whittle something up. Its not the rough and ready stuff either. I watched Bear make a paddle for his canoe in one episode of his. He bent a branch around and used one of his jocks or somesuch to fashion the paddle bit. He also patched the canoe with a handy bit of netting and boiled up tree sap as glue. Impressive. Real hard as nails boys own stuff. All the while he's smiling away to camera and comes across as a really nice bloke. http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080430/man-wild_l.jpg

Then recalled Ray's episode concerning canoes. He bumps into some native american bloke who's a bit handy with birch bark and the fookers build a bloody canoe from scratch. :eek: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/stevenbullen/Ray_Mears_Canoe.jpg Then oul Ray whittles up a paddle that wouldnt be out of place at a craft fair. Compare and contrast both pics. Plus we learn about the native lads and their history and great bushcraft. Bear's not so good with locals. Ray's way better there. You learn more. Hell sometimes they do, like the time he showed these young tribal lads who had lost their techniques for making fire how to do it.

The two take different approaches. Bear is about the high adrenaline entertainment with some education thrown in. He's a survivalist, using the minimum of resources to get by. He's damn good at it too. Ray is more about the education and the history and serious bushcraft collected from all over the world, including these islands, where he has pushed for more research into how our own ancestors lived off the land and has helped with practical application of some of the techniques. He's also about enjoying and living off the land comfortably, not as a temporary survival thing.

They're kinda chalk and cheese in a lot of ways. I'd love to see the pair of them do a thing together. I can see Bear and Ray about to parachute out, but Bear having to knock Ray out to get him into the plane in the first place. Then get Bear to hop into an Alaskan river and catch salmon with his teeth, while headbutting any grizzlies who get a bit previous with him. Ray could build a log cabin with running water, a jacks and a cooker while he whittles a satellite phone to call for help. :D It would be good to see them do something together though.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    How is it fake? The guy was in the Special Air service. He would know more about this sort of thing than any of us. Its a TV show aimed to entertain and educate. He isn't actually FIGHTING for his live but he does teach you simple but really effective survivial tips which could work in real situations.

Not fake.
    Like I said he's a hard fecker. his achievements are record enough of that. Plus he's the head of the UK scouting movement AFAIK so is inspiring a new generation. Plus he does seem to be a genuinely nice bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Nodin wrote: »
    Blah Blah daily mail links lolol.

Yes the camera crew hardly stayed the night, and it's told at the start of every episode that some things are presented to him so he can show examples.

GTFO back to your daily mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Isn't Bear Grylls the guy who pretends to sleep in the wild but goes back to his hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

While Ray Mears is more interesting and impressive i wouldn't be knocking Bear Grylls survivialist skills. The 2 shows are different and are presented in totally different forms. I'd imagine that Bear chap would survive in most terrains despite some of the deception on the show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement