Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you head off, into the wilderness... With Bear Grylls?!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sykk wrote: »
    Yes (....)mail.

Truth hurts....

That admission at the start of the show was introduced after he was caught, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Confab wrote: »
    Isn't Bear Grylls the guy who pretends to sleep in the wild but goes back to his hotel?

i always suspected such things tbh. but what he does on camera he needs not do off camera i doubt he puts himself in them situations unless he's filming.. just displaying he has some knowledge and some nerve - its fun anyhow if a bit ludicrous, big fan of the survival shows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Oh my yes.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Nodin wrote: »
    Truth hurts....

That admission at the start of the show was introduced after he was caught, btw.
    Still have no proof, shame that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sykk wrote: »
    Still have no proof, shame that.
    Eh did you not read the post? The production crew admitted this and have added a disclaimer since. Regardless whether you like the guy or not(I do BTW), dunno why you're still digging your heels in on this undisputed fact. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What is the name of the Canadian guy, I think his programme is called Survivor Man. He's pretty impressive too. He shows some interesting scenarios aswell.
    In one of them he was left in the snow with the wreckage of a light aircraft. He started his fire by shorting the battery over some salvaged avgas and made the wreckage into a shelter.
    It's interesting to see these survivalists in some kind of starting scenario; how would you end up in the middle of a jungle alone with nothing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

^ yeah i saw one episode he was in the rockies. not as pro-active as Gryllis or Mears just scrounging off berries n sh*t.. but not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kowloon wrote: »
    It's interesting to see these survivalists in some kind of starting scenario; how would you end up in the middle of a jungle alone with nothing?

..a weekend drinking in Mulhuddart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I like the show and it is highly entertaining. It is the modern equivalent of MacGyver. I don't think anyone really believes that what he does is an exact replica of a survival situation. I don't get why people have to put the programme down, just accept it for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I couldn't care less if Grylls stayed in hotels while filming a TV show which was essentially for entertainment purposes. He's still done some amazing things, for instance the small issue of getting over a broken back then climbing everest 18 monts later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm glad you asked

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2439321520070724

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-474866/Bear-Grylls-faked-toxic-volcanic-fumes-smoke-machine-new-Born-Survivor-fake-row.html#ixzz0yCTHsBud

...wouldn't get Ray Mears or the Canadian fellah sneaking a bale of briquettes off with them, let alone that crack.
    Its a TV show. A bit of fun. Does not make it fake. Ok perhaps things have been set up but again, its a programme which is aimed at teaching you survivial tips and how to survive by using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The people that got their knickers in a knot over the Bear Grylls show not being completely genuine are no different than the shower who thought The Hills was real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

go about 1:30 into this. fcuking brilliant pisstake, Irish lad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yea he is really hot, maybe I will get eaten by him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement