Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovenia v Northern Ireland

• 31-08-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Slovenia+logo.png
    Northern_ireland_national_football_team_logo.png

Friday 3rd September 2010.
    Euro 2012 Group C Qualifier
    Ljudski Vrt Stadium, Maribor , KO 19:45.

Northern Ireland squad:
    Taylor (Birmingham), Tuffey (Inverness Caledonian Thistle), Blayney (Linfield)
    J Evans (Man Utd), Craigan (Motherwell), Cathcart (Blackpool), McAuley (Ipswich), Hughes (Fulham), Baird (Fulham)
    McCann (Peterborough), Brunt (West Brom), Gorman (Wolves), C Evans (Man Utd), Davis (Rangers), Clingan (Coventry)
    Healy (Sunderland), Feeney (Oldham), Lafferty (Rangers), Paterson (Burnley), Patterson (Plymouth).

Looking at the named squad, keeper, defense and 3 Midfield pick themselves.
    Taylor
    -McAuley-Hughes-Craigan-J.Evans-
    ---Clingan-Davis-Brunt

With it being 7 games since our last goal and 10 games since our last competitive win, which was against Slovenia in April 09, who will lead the line?

Personally, i would put Baird in front of the back four with Paterson playing between the Midfield and lone front man Bad Attitude Lafferty.

Backstage the IFA may be operating like Fawlty Towers at present, but hopefully this will not be replicated on the pitch like some of our recent previous qualifier openers.

Slovenia have a very healthy record at Ljudski vrt, it was the main home venue in the qualifications for World cup 2010 where Slovenia won 5 and drew 1 match with a goal difference 13–1. Until now Slovenia has played a total of 16 matches on this stadium, winning 10 of them and losing only 4.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why are a lot of the games on Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why are a lot of the games on Friday?

All teams were given the option of Tuesday/Wednesday night for midweek games and Friday night or Saturday afternoon for the weekend fixtures.
    The IFA opted for all Friday night home games as we have a better recent record at Windsor Park when playing under floodlights, better atmosphere and more pints before the match!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Come on Slovenia!

Le King wrote: »
    Come on Slovenia!

Are you hungry?
    Cause i ain't feeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PeteEd wrote: »
    All teams were given the option of Tuesday/Wednesday night for midweek games and Friday night or Saturday afternoon for the weekend fixtures.
    The IFA opted for all Friday night home games as we have a better recent record at Windsor Park when playing under floodlights, better atmosphere and more pints before the match!:D

It's actually because it gives players an extra day to recover and get back to their clubs, i.e playing on a Tuesday rather than a Wednesday.

Really fecks up anyone who has to travel from a distance to either capital city on the island to see their team on a Friday night though but that is not a debate for this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

What expectations do you have for the coming campaign? Serbia look really strong and my guess would be for them to top the group, with Italy eventually clinching 2nd to Slovenia in 3rd.

Anything around 15pts would be a very good return imo.

It's actually because it gives players an extra day to recover and get back to their clubs, i.e playing on a Tuesday rather than a Wednesday.

Really fecks up anyone who has to travel from a distance to either capital city on the island to see their team on a Friday night though but that is not a debate for this thread

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/friday-is-fright-night-for-northern-ireland-as-euro-2012-qualifying-fixtures-are-announced-14711518.html

Bukman13 wrote: »
    What expectations do you have for the coming campaign? Serbia look really strong and my guess would be for them to top the group, with Italy eventually clinching 2nd to Slovenia in 3rd.

Anything around 15pts would be a very good return imo.

Head or the Heart talking??

Head
    13-15 points would be realistic return and probably a 4th place finish.
    Slovenia 3pts
    Italy 0pts
    F Islands 6pts
    Serbia 0pts
    Estonia 4pts

Heart
    20 points, a couple of decent results a home and picking up a few bonus points away and a play-off place:D
    Slovenia 4pts
    Italy 3pts
    F Islands 6pts
    Serbia 1pts
    Estonia 6pts

But going on current form, I'd say you'd be on the money with the 15points, Serbia and Italy on a reverse forecast for 1st and 2nd:(

PeteEd wrote: »
    Are you hungry?
    Cause i ain't feeding!

Starving. Give me an orangeman.

Orange-food-327616_400_300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Come on Slovenia!

The occupied 6 will be doing well to overcome the SloFENIANS!

No McCourt in the squad? Bad decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

The occupied 6 will be doing well to overcome the SloFENIANS!

subtle

[QUOTE=

No McCourt in the squad? Bad decision.[/QUOTE]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8940374.stm

As long as he doesn't follow Ivan Sproule and fall out with Worthington he will play.

Pat McCourt is a great player. Why isn't he in the squad?

Pat McCourt is a great player. Why isn't he in the squad?

Clicky link post #13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Last time the GAWA played Slovenia we beat them at Windsor 1-0...that was on April Fools Day in 2009....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mttcsIifg&feature=related

Here's hoping for some more Sweet Caroline at about half 9 on Friday evening!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Will be in Slovenia on Friday, but not at Maribor. Would like to get to see Slovenia, I fooking love that country!

Come on Slovenia!!

I'm particularly disappointed Oliver Norwood and Pat McCourt weren't selected.
    We have a pretty strong defence...and good defence minded midfield...but we don't have an abundance of creativity!
    If we go one nil down where is the goal coming from?
    Ollie Norwood takes a mean free kick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jweeZIKCPw&NR=1

This one was against Germany under 21s in injury time to make it 1-1.
    He scored twice in the last under 21 international...albeit against San Marino.
    Pat McCourt may not have the greatest work ethic running towards his own goal...but he like Norwood can conjure a goal from nowhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Obviously Northern Ireland would do well to come out of this game with anything at all. Perhaps their best bet would be to play a tight defensive game and hope for scoring parity. They would need something because with Serbia on good form and Italy with a point to prove, they need to get points wherever else they can.

Re Norwood/McCourt and C.Evans/Gorman/Cathcart.

Even if Norwood or McCourt had replaced any of the other 3 in the squad I highly doubt Worthington would be brave enough to give any of them much of a run out in an opening away day against Slovenia.
    Agree with briany, he'll set up not to lose, probably be less than exciting to watch, let alone listen to a crackling MW Radio Ulster brodcast from a field in Stradbally:D

• Advertisement

If Worthington sets the stall out not to lose...what happens if you go 1 nil down as I've mentioned.
    You can set out not to lose...but have some form of back-up or subs you can brings on who could get you back level....players with a bit of flair and imagination.
    I think with Northern Ireland we are lacking that...particularly from the bench.
    However...if we play as well as what we have done recently in competitive games away from home...Poland, Czech Republic...and even Sweden...where we managed draws...we should be alright.
    Even if we play as well as what we did in Maribor last time...minus the 2 late goals conceded...I will be happy...as we should get a result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Norn Iron about to win it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LOL.

First win in the first game of a qualifier for years for us...first goal in 7 games...I don't know how we have done it but we have!!! Super Corey Evans!!
    Green and White Army!!!
    The shock result of the night!!! :D
    We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland!!!
    Bring on the Italians in October!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Didn't get to see any of this. From reports it was a bit lucky tha NI won. But an away win in Slovenia is a great result. What a start to the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

seen the last few mins northern ireland done well to hold on, great win for them!!!

maybe someone could answer this but how is blayney getting selected in the squad ahead of mannus who imo is a way better keeper???

Stevecw wrote: »
    Didn't get to see any of this. From reports it was a bit lucky tha NI won. But an away win in Slovenia is a great result. What a start to the group.

Definitely the luck of the Irish...although Maik Taylor didn't have to make any outstanding saves!!!
    Ref was a homer...which always makes it difficult!!!
    We were beat in Maribor 2-0 the last time when we deserved at least a point...so it was about time something went our way!!!

Well gives ye a great chance. Italy seem in a mess with the whole rebuilding thing, they were even losing to Estonia for a good while tonight.
    We played them last time and they were nothing special and have even lost a good few players since then.

Serbia will be good and I expect them to win that group. Its between NI and Italy for 2nd. Winning in Slovenia is a massive result. Serbia & Italy will do well to get a win there, chances are 1 of them will draw. So advantage NI, comes down to the games v the big 2 and see if ye have enough to beat them at home and draw or even win away?? That will whats sort top 2 out there, but great start!!

major bill wrote: »
    maybe someone could answer this but how is blayney getting selected in the squad ahead of mannus who imo is a way better keeper???

Nigel Worthington is a funny man at times when it comes to squad and team selections!!!
    With Maik Taylor now 40...and no top class replacement...you have Roy Carroll...once of Man Utd who now plays for the Danish club Odense...he can't get in the squad...he's 33, an age when keepers are in their prime...although he did once withdraw his services from Northern Ireland selection because he was always being kept on the bench...which is not the right attitude to have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Well done to the Ulstermen, best result of night no question. Slovenia have a great record at home and rarely lose. Early doors in group

Well gives ye a great chance. Italy seem in a mess with the whole rebuilding thing, they were even losing to Estonia for a good while tonight.
    We played them last time and they were nothing special and have even lost a good few players since then.

Serbia will be good and I expect them to win that group. Its between NI and Italy for 2nd. Winning in Slovenia is a massive result. Serbia & Italy will do well to get a win there, chances are 1 of them will draw. So advantage NI, comes down to the games v the big 2 and see if ye have enough to beat them at home and draw or even win away?? That will whats sort top 2 out there, but great start!!

You make it sound so simple...:D...thing about Northern Ireland is they have a fantastic result...then they get beat by the likes of Icelands or Latvias. Not that Iceland or Latvia are poor by the way...but when you beat both Sweden and Denmark at home and draw with both away, beat Spain at home...like we did for the Euros a few years ago...you don't expect to be beaten by Iceland home and away and Latvia away!
    Great start...which we have to build on...one game at a time as they say!

Paul4As wrote: »
    You make it sound so simple...:D...thing about Northern Ireland is they have a fantastic result...then they get beat by the likes of Icelands or Latvias. Not that Iceland or Latvia are poor by the way...but when you beat both Sweden and Denmark at home and draw with both away, beat Spain at home...like we did for the Euros a few years ago...you don't expect to be beaten by Iceland home and away and Latvia away!
    Great start...which we have to build on...one game at a time as they say!

I know that too well, Estonia will prob beat ye away and ruin it all, but I was trying to sound hopeful for you guys!!! Lets see what happens. Who u play on Tuesday???

I know that too well, Estonia will prob beat ye away and ruin it all, but I was trying to sound hopeful for you guys!!! Lets see what happens. Who u play on Tuesday???

I'm giving the boys a deserved a night off on Tuesday!!! :D
    Next games are Italy at home and Faroe Islands away...both in October!!
    We'll let you guys steal the limelight from us on Tuesday when you make it 6 from 6!!! I say "you guys" even though I live in Mayo!!! :)

Advertisement