Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Formation is everyone using?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

I'm currently playing a game with Leeds Utd, In 2015 now and in the premiership finished 2'nd and 3'rd previous seasons. Very hard to win the premiership in my game with Man City buying up all the talent but this year changed from my standard 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 and am top halfway through the season. I really like this formation for my squad as it allows me to adjust player roles when needed and put more pressure on either my attack or defence at any given moment. If the midfield are being over run, I bring the wingers back for a bit and go 4-4-1-1 if we want to hold out a result dropping the two CM back to DM and going long ball seems to work a treat to shut down opponents if you have the right players to do it.

I'll give a little insight into my team and how I get them to play, as well as some talent I picked up along the way that you may want to look out for.
    This is my starting eleven at the moment.

*GK Akinfeev - One of the best in game.
    *RB Mario Cepeda - 21 Regen wonderkid paid 20M in summer, Man City offered 45M in Jan
    *CB Dennis Appiah (Signed from Monaco good tough CB)
    *CB Jorgenson (7M from Fulham very good leader)
    *LB Lional Masson (Regen similar to Cepeda work very well together)
    *CM Lars Bender (From Werder Bremen 12M, Good in DM and very good passing and Creatvity)
    *CM Marco Verrati (4M from Dinamo Kiev 2 years ago, now 23 and one of the best CM in the world he is a gem- buy him)
    *LW Alberto Campolongo - (Regen, extemely fast winger, great crossing, dribbling, takes players on)
    *CAM Jonjo Shelvey(My best signing, 2M from Charlton now World class, the new Gerrard)
    *RW Nacer Barizite ( He's good, not great blows hot and cold)
    *ST Edin Dzeko ( Leathal as lone striker at least 30 goals a season, really peaks between 28-30)

So the idea here is to have a solid back line, two tough CB who break up play and get stuck in, same with my full backs both are Argentine and hot headed can defend and attack. CM Bender is there to play the defensive role but can also be creative, Verrati is my centre piece all my play comes through him to create for the attacking players, he can also play an advanced position when needed. The wingers are fast and run at Op full backs sometimes with one cutting inside, Shelvey is brilliant in AMC he will score anything that bounces around outside the box. Dzeko scores goals for fun, and in this team he gets plenty of service.

So what about you guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Normally 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-2-1 depending on players avaialble.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I liked the 4 2 3 1 for a while but went with an all out attacking diamond of 4 1 2 1 2. It scores a lot of goals but concedes quite a few too! Sometimes I think I should have kept a left and right wide winger so I could change to 4 2 3 1 but I didn't want them sitting on the bench to get an odd appearance here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Basic, solid, 4-4-fcuking-2 :D

Win games 1-0 and 2-0.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Currently using 4-1-3-2 with 3 strong CMs. I have used 4-3-3 predominantly in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Does anyone remember in CM 01/02 I think, using the following formation. I cant remember where I heard about it but it worked ridiculously well.

GK
    DC DC
    DM
    CM CM CM
    AM
    ST ST ST

I never really tried it in any games after that CM, because of the whole two defenders thing. Might give it a go later tho for the craic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Back then I was using a 3-3-1-3 which was unstoppable for me. Would be absolutely murdered if ye played anything like that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

True, I remember in the older games you could use some very odd formations to great effect. You really have to be carefull these days though, I usually try a few new things in the pre season as it's the only chance to do it really without dropping points. Going to book a tour at the end of the season for an extra few games get some of the youth involved in it and see how they go. Remember in I think it was CM4 Robbie Keane was a top player banging in goals, Young wonderkid Bjorn Zwikker anyone remember him? He once netted 60 a season for me..

Speaking on that, coming to the end of my season now 30 games in and 5 points behind City in the premiership and have to play them away at eastlands in the league and in the FA cup Quarters, won the LC and in the Quarters of Champions league. Looking at next season i am going to clear out the 21-22 year olds that haven't quite lived up to what I expected and bring in some new players. One worry for me is Dzeko is 30 now and I need to be eyeing up a replacement for him, he netted 36 so far this season and beyond him not alot of goals come from other areas a few here and there from midfield. Any suggest a successor for him? He'll still be around for 4 seasons or so but if he gets injured or declines could be in trouble..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

4-4-2, Solid! Was using 4-1-2-1-2, but it lacks width so when back to 4-4-2
    Might try the 4-2-3-1 as I have the personal at Arsenal now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

In my second season with ipswich was playing 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. Was struggling for goals and my job was starting to look shaky. Switched to 4-2-3-1 and in the first game hammered scunthore 5-0 but then lost to blackburn 4-0. Job extremely shaky still and im between a rock and a hard place!

Advertisement