Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Roaming and phones that Auto switch from Wi-Fi to HSPDA

Options
  • 31-08-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

When I was in Portugal recently I would use any free Wi-Fi spots to download the latest data to my phone. Its a HTC HD2.

I noticed that if the Wi-Fi connection was dropped or became weak the phone would auto switch to HSDPA/GPRS etc without warning to download data. To stop the mobile data connection I would have to manually go into the settings to turn off the data connection. I would never deliberately use the mobile data connection abroad because of the cost.

Is there some way to stop the phone from ever using the mobile data connection if the Wi-Fi connection is lost?
    I'm sure this must be a common problem so wondering if anyone ever took it up with their mobile provider, and what the response was? I'm in the process of doing this now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

On the desire, I can independently switch wifi and mobile data on and off.

So, with both on, once it loses wifi it goes to 2/3/3.5g, with mobile off, it just goes offline.

I presume that is what you mean. I have another setting for "data roaming" so I can set them all on for in this country, and it won't activate mobile data if it detects I am off network.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

nereid wrote: »
    On the desire, I can independently switch wifi and mobile data on and off.

So, with both on, once it loses wifi it goes to 2/3/3.5g, with mobile off, it just goes offline.

I presume that is what you mean. I have another setting for "data roaming" so I can set them all on for in this country, and it won't activate mobile data if it detects I am off network.

Are you running Android on the Desire? That setting is specific to the Desire I think.

I'm running WM 6.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dazzy wrote: »
    Are you running Android on the Desire? That setting is specific to the Desire I think.

I'm running WM 6.5.

It is android, but I'd have thought such settings were standard across smartphones somewhere in the OS...
    Is there nothing in Wireless and Networks / APN / or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

There is no simple way to do it that I can find. I hadn't thought about deleting all of the APN settings so thats something I will do next time. Afterwards I can run the O2 setup/settings wizard to restore the settings.

The mobile operators are doing well from this as they have in my case.

Advertisement