Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former Tour de France winner Laurent Fignon dies, aged 50

• 31-08-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭

BBC reporting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Very sad to hear this. Great competitor.

Will never forget the time trial finish to the TDF where he lost out to Lemond by 8 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

RIP a LEGEND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sad day. 2 time winner of the tour de france and most every other race as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Very sad news. One of my favourite riders of the 80's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Sad news indeed...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note: Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Very sad, very sorry to hear about this.

I read his autobiography, 'We were young and carefree', translated by William Fotheringham, on Holiday. It wasn't a great translation so personally I felt it didn't read well at all. I found it very stilted, like something you'd do for leaving cert French I'd imagine.

At one stage he describes the crowd eating 'hot sausages' (hot dogs?) at a Munich 6 day. I found the overall tone of the book to be one of sadness, which in its self was sad. He was a great rider but will probably be remembered for as the book puts it: 'Ah, I remember you:you're the guy who lost the Tour de France by eight seconds!' Rather than: 'No monsieur, I'm the guy who won it twice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note: Another thread merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

He was some rider, glad to have been on the roadside for the '89 tour to see him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Very sorry to hear this, I just bought his autobiographie a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to a photo tribute on l'equipe.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Sorry to hear this too. I felt awful for him in 1989 and I still think there was something noble about his old school approach to that time trial, complete with professor glasses and flying blonde hair. Still, two tours, a Giro and a dose of classics - hardly a sympathy case.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭scooters

Very sad, I remember seeing him in the Nissan classics back when I was a kid.

Will always remember his breakaway with Mottet on Bastille day back in the tour in 1989.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

PARIS -- Two-time Tour de France champion Laurent Fignon has died after a battle with cancer. He was 50.

His death was confirmed Tuesday by the French government and the French cycling federation.

Fignon said in June 2009 that he had advanced cancer of the digestive system and was undergoing chemotherapy.

Fignon won cycling's most prestigious in 1983 and 1984. He lost to Greg LeMond in 1989 by eight seconds, the closest finish in the history of the Tour.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

scooters wrote: »
    Will always remember his breakaway with Mottet on Bastille day back in the tour in 1989.

+1

While in yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Just heard Eurosport announce this on their Vuelta coverage, my heart sank. Terribly sad news, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sad day for all when a legend like Fignon loses his battle to cancer, I hope he always stays young and carefree where ever he rests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very sad news. I didnt even know he had cancer. This has come as a big shock to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Adelante

fignon.jpg
    “le Professeur”RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Rip

Good bye and thanks for the great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

very sad news indeed. also in the middle of his autobiography. he was some character. RIP Laurent.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

Sad news that. A great French cyclist and that is something that can't be said too often anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

"I love life, laughter, travel, books, good food, like a good Frenchman," he said earlier this year. Above all, however, he loved cycling.
    "Sometimes when I was physically at my best I could sense moments of utter ecstasy, those rare fleeting times when you are in total harmony with yourself and the elements around you: nature, the noise of the wind, the smells.
    "Let's not get carried away. But I have to confess: I was happy."
    link

Highlights for me apart from 89 Tour were his impressive attacks on the Poggio in both 88 and 89 when he won Milan San Remo on the trot. Kelly was 5th on both occassions:)

RIP a great champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

RIP a great character and champion.
    Almost finished his autobiography - I think it's one of the best cycling biographies I've read - a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

A sad day for our sport

Laurent Fignon, a legend of a truly great era

Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

sy wrote: »

Thats a nice tribute to Fignon on the Telegraph website. Here's a recent photo of him with Hinault in this years Tour from Cyclingnews.com

bettiniphoto_0057262_1_full_600.jpg

RIP a great champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Boosterseat

RIP

Sean Kelly paid a nice tribute to him on RTE Radio yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Sad news, just picked up a copy of his autobiography at the weekend

Advertisement