Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rape Seed Oil

Options
  • 31-08-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a diet in the next few days. My doctor gave me loads of literature to read. I'm told that I can have roast potatoes only if their cooked in Rape Seed Oil.

My question is: has anyone reading this cooked food in Rape Seed Oil, and if yes, what does it taste like ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It tastes fine but smells a bit fishy I find. Ground nut oil might be better for roasting potatoes in - others will know better. I know Hugh Fearnley Whittingstone has a recipe for it as a healthy version of them - stick roast potatoes in guardian.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The vegtable oil from Lidl is rapeseed. Even has the pic of it on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Rape seed oil (canola oil in north america) has a relatively similar fat profile to olive oil (i.e. it's mostly mono-unsaturated) which I imagine you could use if for some reason the taste of rape-seed oil puts you off. There is more omega-3 in rapeseed oil in the form of Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), the same that's in linseed/flaxseed oil. This isn't as good as the EPA and DHA omega-3 you get in fish oils (your body has to make them out of it and isn't very efficient at it), but will do.

It shouldn't smell fishy... if it does it means the ALA has oxidised and gone rancid. This can happen if exposed to too much heat and air. This will occur for example if you fry with it at high-temperatures so I wouldn't advise doing this!
    The vegtable oil from Lidl is rapeseed. Even has the pic of it on the label.
    Any chance you could double-check the ingredients on the back? The usual stuff that gets put in supermarket vegetable oil (eg soybean oil) is utter utter muck and should be taxed like cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

ApeXaviour wrote: »

It shouldn't smell fishy... if it does it means the ALA has oxidised and gone rancid. This can happen if exposed to too much heat and air. This will occur for example if you fry with this oils at high-temperatures so I wouldn't advise doing this!
    Mine's being throw out so!This is link to guardian piece, closest method to mine would be Heston Blumenthal's but I'd only parboil for 8 minutes
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/dec/17/best-roast-potato-recipe

Advertisement