Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a reasonable request from Quinn Direct??

• 31-08-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Guys,
    I'm on a provisional license, riding a 2003 Honda Shadow VT600C. It meets the power to weight restriction criteria of being less than 0.16kw/kg. Quinn direct have sent me a letter telling me that I may not be insured, and to sent them a certificate proving it has been restricted. I've rang them to explain it doesn't need to be ( as confirmed by the RSA), which they now seem to understand. They also did this dance with me three months ago. HOWEVER, they've now asked me to prove that it meets the power/weight ratio criteria! I've gone to my user manual and found thet the dry weight is 205kg. No problem there, I knew that. I know the bike is a 28kW/ 34hp model, but it doesn't specify that in the manual in any way I recognise. Compression ratio spec. is the nearest thing I can see
    What I was going to do was send a copy of this info. to satisfy them.
    Any idea what can be done, or if I actually need to do this?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

Provisional A1 of A license?
    I would imagine they are looking for proof that you motorbike is running under 25kw. Check the restrictions for your license type to confirm you can drive it on the road without a restriction cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Frelance wrote: »
    Provisional A1 of A license?
    I would imagine they are looking for proof that you motorbike is running under 25kw. Check the restrictions for your license type to confirm you can drive it on the road without a restriction cert.
    Well the OP obviously has an A learner permit - if it was A1, he'd be illegally riding around on a 600+cc bike. Quite a ways over the 125cc A1 limit.:)

I'm insured with Quinn too. I'm also on a first A learner permit. One of the bikes I have is a 750cc Ural. It's way over the 33bhp/25kw limit but, because it's got a side car which adds a load of weight, there was no problem. One thing in my experience of Quinn so far is this: perhaps because they're relatively new to bike insurance or something, but a whole lot of what you're asked, told, and allowed to do seems to depend on the particular person with whom you're dealing. Based on my own experience, explaining to them that the bike is X weight, Y power output, and that this places it squarely in the 'legal category' should be ok if you speak to the right person. A last resort is to send them a combination of any official documentation with these figures and a photocopy/URL of the RSA website where it says about the power-weight ratio. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

they have my papers and copies of all documents and i still got that automated letter.....so half of the biking world:)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭multiscan

same here, got insurance month ago, supplied all documents and got the letter as most of the people, i just ignored it as they made copy of all documents while i was there before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ratchet wrote: »
    they have my papers and copies of all documents and i still got that automated letter.....so half of the biking world:)
    multiscan wrote: »
    same here, got insurance month ago, supplied all documents and got the letter as most of the people, i just ignored it as they made copy of all documents while i was there before

With what I've heard about Quinn I'd make sure that you provide then with what they are asking for and get written confirmation that you are insured. I know several people who've had (car) policies cancelled for not providing some piece of paper. They've called and talked to the call centre staff, explained everything and still got the cancellation letters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Its just Quinn being idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Thanks Guys. I'm going to send Quinn Direct in some spec. info i got online that details the power @6500rpm, and its weight, showing that the bike is rated at less than 0.16kw/kg. My bike instructor also kindly posted me a document from a honda dealership in Dublin that he had, that also backs this up. Surely that should satisfy them. Strange that the power rating isn't in my users manual OR my Haynes manual. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

multiscan wrote: »

If you are paying by direct debit you may find your premium incresed because you diid not supply the information they asked you for.Just a word to the wise.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NitroHead91

I have had alot of trouble with Quinn Direct over the last couple months !! They dont seem to understand what is learner legal and what isnt !! They asked for for a certificate of restriction for my 1998 Honda Hornet 250 !!! Which is infact within the learner limit. It took a 30min phone call to explain to them that it is infact within the law...They can be a pain sometimes !! But they give good quotes to young divers all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hornet is over the legal limit btw.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Whoops !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

RasTa wrote: »

pmsl

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

They are proper dummys in that place. I rang to see if it was ok to fax over proof of no claims bonus and then the girl couldnt get her head around the fact that i was riding a 200 on a provisional. Said that i could only have a 125. So she then says 'oh is it restricted?' So i had to explain the law. ****ing clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 19 semantics

I can't believe this myth is still going around.
    OK, the rsa website indeed states:

"A person applying for a first-time motorcycle learner permit in category A is restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg."

So, whoever wrote this had some trouble with logic.
    (Remember de morgans laws?: not(a or b) = not a and not b.)
    not( > 25kw or power/weight ratio exceeding 0.16kW/kg)
    = <=25kw and power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kw/kg).

To clarify the issue and since the licence categories are the same all over Europe it may help to look at other countries.
    Eg., Germany, see
    here (if you speak German):
    http://www.fahrlehrerverband-bw.de/07-FSKl/Kl_Motorrad.htm

They are proper dummys in that place. I rang to see if it was ok to fax over proof of no claims bonus and then the girl couldnt get her head around the fact that i was riding a 200 on a provisional. Said that i could only have a 125. So she then says 'oh is it restricted?' So i had to explain the law. ****ing clowns

The exact same happend to me....they said my provisional only alwows me up to 11kw ( basically a 125 ) and that my 250 had to be restricted down to 11kw !! But i can have 25kw on my provisional !!

Advertisement