Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost in Bins

Options
  • 31-08-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I have two wheelie-bin type bins that I'm looking at using for composting.

Now, obviously, just chucking the stuff into the bin and leaving it will not result in compost, but something more in the Black Possibly Radioactive Lagoon line.

The clear solution to this is to punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage, and that I can do. However, are there any other gotchas I should be looking out for? Or will this work at all?

(I'm currently on the Basic Model of composting, as it were - a heap in the corner.)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Biggest pratfall I could see here is trying to turn the compost in a wheelie bin. Its a bit deep to get the end result out!

Other issue I could see is that most of the base of a wheelie bit doesnt touch the ground. You'll have to innoculate the bin with compost or soil that contains tiger worms from your existing set up.

And a wheelie bin may not be wide enough for the composting to achieve a high enough temperature to work effectively.

I have a couple of old black dalek bins you are welcome to take away, they work pretty well and arent a complete eyesore either. I've moved onto a compost heap made from pallets this year. 2 bays when 1 fills simply turn it into the 2nd bay and start filling bay 1 again. When bay 1 fills again bay 2 is ready for spreading. Working pretty well and no need to add any accelerators other than a quick slash on it every now and then but the kids love a chance to wee in the open air. Thank God I dont have girls!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've seen one recently that has a neat fix for tumbling the compost. There is an axel through the centre of the bin and it's mounted up on some timber allowing the bin to swing through 360 degrees when necessary meaning that you can dump the contents easly.

It was similar to this...
    14036d1270974281-compost-tumbler-update-compost1.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

I hadn't thought of the width issue, but I've seen commercial composters that aren't much wider, so I'll see what happens with that.

For worms, I'll pre-populate from the existing pile. There are giants in them thar hillocks.

One of the advantages of the wheelie bin, of course, is that I can move it around when I need to. I reckon I can manage to tip it out for turning purposes - it's not as though the existing heap gets much turning anyway.

The axle trick is interesting; I can see how that would work well. I'll see how well the "basic model" works, first, and then if it's good, I can add refinements. If not, I reckon I'll go for a two-bay approach.

Advertisement