Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Macaroons

Options
  • 31-08-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a good recipe for coconut macaroons?
    Some recipes online have just egg white, sugar and coconut and others have condensed milk in.
    I want them soft and chewy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The one I use has dessicated coconut (but you could smash open a fresh one and grate it but I'm too lazy) also ground almonds, egg whites and icing sugar. No condensed milk in it, they come out nice and crisp around the edges and soft and chewy in the middle. I take them out when they are just starting to get golden around the edges.

The recipe is

2 egg whites
    100g icing sugar (sieved)
    100g ground almonds
    100g dessicated coconut
    Couple of drops of almond essence (i put a couple of drops of orange oil in as well just to give a hint of orange or you could pop a bit of orange zest in I guess).

Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry so not as stiff as meringues, soft peaks I guess.
    Then add the icing sugar and fold it in gently and fold in the rest of the ingredients gently.

Spoon onto lined baking tray walnut sized dollops then push a little coconut gently into the center of the dough.

Think that's it, but will check my recipe book tomorow just in case I've forgotten something can't remember the oven temp. but someone else might put that up think it's 180 fan over for about 10 -15 mins.

They're so yum and so simple to make you can't go wrong.
    Just don't be tempted to over cook them.

If you want them extra moist and chewy I guess using a recipe that uses condensed milk would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I've made them from this recipe before, and it works great. The recipe is similar to the Mrs. Crimble coconut macroons in terms of ingredients. You could substitute the honey for liquid glucose or golden syrup; it's there to give the macaroon flavour, chew, and moistness.

There are two more recipes here and here. The Greenspan recipe depends on your brand of desiccated coconut. I've used TRS coconut before and it hardly absorbed any liquid, leaving milky coconut pools on the baking tray. There is another brand with yellow around the edge of the bag and a coconut tree on it, but I don't remember the name; either way they're both from Asian stores. Shamrock desiccated coconut from Tesco might be fine, but the only way to find out is by making it and holding back a little on the milk.

The last recipe looks very good as the dough looks correct, with a low and brief baking time to maximise softness. Condensed milk has a certain flavour from the canning process that can't be duplicated with milk and sugar alone. I'd imagine you'd get the results your looking for from this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Funny enought the last recipe is the one I was going to go with! Thanks guys I think I'll make a couple of batches and have a taste test.
    Will report back asap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Fleagle

The one I use has dessicated coconut (but you could smash open a fresh one and grate it but I'm too lazy) also ground almonds, egg whites and icing sugar. No condensed milk in it, they come out nice and crisp around the edges and soft and chewy in the middle. I take them out when they are just starting to get golden around the edges.

The recipe is

2 egg whites
    100g icing sugar (sieved)
    100g ground almonds
    100g dessicated coconut
    Couple of drops of almond essence (i put a couple of drops of orange oil in as well just to give a hint of orange or you could pop a bit of orange zest in I guess).

Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry so not as stiff as meringues, soft peaks I guess.
    Then add the icing sugar and fold it in gently and fold in the rest of the ingredients gently.

Spoon onto lined baking tray walnut sized dollops then push a little coconut gently into the center of the dough.

Think that's it, but will check my recipe book tomorow just in case I've forgotten something can't remember the oven temp. but someone else might put that up think it's 180 fan over for about 10 -15 mins.

They're so yum and so simple to make you can't go wrong.
    Just don't be tempted to over cook them.

If you want them extra moist and chewy I guess using a recipe that uses condensed milk would help.

Just made these - they are fantastic! Thanks!

Advertisement