Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I buy healthy dried fruit and nuts?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm looking for somewhere in Dublin where I can buy healthy and cheap dried fruit like apple, mango and apricot. Is it possible to get it sulpher free?

I'm also looking for good value nuts and seeds like Brazil's, Flax Seeds and Almonds etc.

I'll be using them to make Granola cereal and flapjacks for snacks.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Gear Freak wrote: »
    I'm also looking for good value nuts and seeds like Brazil's, Flax Seeds and Almonds etc.
    The Asia Market on Drury St sells almonds quite cheaply. I think it's about 11euro for a kilo. They've cashews plenty of seeds there too.
    I got bulk hazelnuts for cheap in the chinese shop on the north end of capel st before.
    I bought a quarter kilo of linseeds in centra there for something ridiculously cheap (<2euro) recently. So I assume tesco etc would have their own brands of it. It's not an expensive commodity, it's just sold for a very very inflated price by some brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Holland & barrett have good sales from time to time, the nuts are already fairly cheap, they also have dried fruit though some has sugar added, I got dried pineapple with sugar added, I never checked the pack presuming only a nutcase would add sugar to something so high in sugar already! they were sickening.

Also try the baking section in supermarkets for unroasted unsalted nuts.

Some of those Asian shops can have broken nuts even cheaper.

You could always dry your own fruit out in the oven on a very low heat, or get a dehydrator, many dried fruits can be more expensive than fresh ones -and that is taking into account the moisture loss, i.e. a kilo of apples might dry down to 150g and still be cheaper than 150g of dry apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

rubadub wrote: »
    I never checked the pack presuming only a nutcase would add sugar to something so high in sugar already! they were sickening.
    Yeah it seems almost impossible to get dried fruits without sugar added here; pain in the... The only ones are the already high-sugar fruits like raisins etc.
    Trader Joe's in California sells freeze-dried strawberry, banana and blueberries. They're ****ing magnificent. So lightweight too I figured I'd be able to find somewhere online that'd post them to you. Wasn't able to find anywhere though :( If anyone knows of anywhere I'd be delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Yeah it seems almost impossible to get dried fruits without sugar added here; pain in the... The only ones are the already high-sugar fruits like raisins etc.
    Trader Joe's in California sells freeze-dried strawberry, banana and blueberries. They're ****ing magnificent. So lightweight too I figured I'd be able to find somewhere online that'd post them to you. Wasn't able to find anywhere though :( If anyone knows of anywhere I'd be delighted...

This place looks promising
    http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/index.php?subframe=search&searchphrase=freeze+dreid&x=0&y=0

Advertisement