Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sleeping

• 31-08-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

How much sleep do you get? 136 votes

4 hours or less
    0%
    4%
    mikemacstovelidAdyxiPlopSiskoPeterIanStaker 6 votes
    8%
    Ruu_OldpickarooneyR0otCrazyRabbitismiseuisceGavRedKingPace2008areu4real?ravenilalee17BoxoffrogsSpeak Now 12 votes
    25%
    D-Generaterainbow kirbythe_barfly1kelleangeldelightDudesstolosencphill106lazloadmiralofthefleetWazdakkaHazysJennyAntSanjurouncleoswaldIvefoundgodSnowienullzeroThe Big Red Buttonitac 34 votes
    38%
    azezilZascartuxyPsychedelicGreyAlienyoucancallmealKierasdanseoArcheronThe Agogoo1s1ndos30the merchantWindSockminidazzlerGaladrielWalkmanmoonflowerCathmandooobleg 52 votes
    More than 8
    23%
    livEwirESpossJohnny_Trotterciano1anniehoofakearms123gerk86hi_im_filAdriaticdotsflanBigBenRoethmonicafussyTanG411greenplainMy name is URL[Deleted User]milly4everKbeg3UrbanSeacandy-gal1 32 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

More than 8
    I don't sleep, I wait!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

up to and including five

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not half enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Usually at least 12 hrs and i often sleep 14-15 hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I always try to get 8 hours, end up being too awake, fapping, getting annoyed it takes so long, have to turn on the light to get the right thought, It takes 45 mins, I go to bed annoyed with myself, 7 hours sleep.

Rinse repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

On a weeknight, I'll usually get between 6 and 7. On a weekend night when I don't go out, I'll get a good long sleep, anything up to 12 hours (I love my sleep!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd rather 8, but it's usually around 7. I can catch up with a few hours during the week sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Weekdays, usually about 6 hours.

Although I've been having vicious bouts of insomnia recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Not working at the moment, so it's usually well over 8 hours a night!

When I'm working, anywhere between 5 and 7 on average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Can't function on less than 8. Need 9 hours in bed to factor in falling asleep and snooze tennis. Wish I could be one of those weirdos that can survive on 6hrs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

4-6 hours during the week, catch up on Friday and Saturday. I've been known to KO for 15 hours on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I'm unemployed atm so about 11 hours a night! And I'm usually wrecked again by 6pm! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd say my average is 7 - theres nights where if I've to get up for work/college I'll only get 4 or 5, but then if I've a free day the next day I'll sleep for 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

5 at the very most. I hate sleeping, I'd rather be up and about exercising or something else useful. Every once in a while I sleep in for an extra hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Anything less than 7 hours and I feel rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

More than 8
    I used to be able to cope with 4 or 5, once I caught up at the weekend, but as I get older (mid 30's) I find I can't function if I don't get at least 8 every second night at a bare minimum.
    I used to view my bed as admitting defeat (unless there was some loving going on of course), but these days I view it more as my best friend. I love it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Less than 4 ,well I have insomnia :( The worst is when I nod off for 10 to 20 mins when I get home from work and thats it for the night ,a whole night of no sleep then into work like a zombie!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Between 5 and 6.

Its usually 5, end up going to bed about 1 and have my alarm set for 7 to be in work for 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

More than 8
    In bed at 11, 15 minutes reading time, 15 minutes fapping time, 10 minutes of tossing and turning, 20 minutes trying to sleep, wake up at 8 which is always just before the best part of my dream (penelope cruz and salma hayek just about to kiss and fondle each other's breasts) - total time 8 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

During the summer - 10- 12 hours most nights - when i go back to college next week... about 5 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I get 7 hours every night with maybe 9 on sat/sun. I used to sleep for 12'hours on the weekend before I started in the gym. I sleep way deeper now and need less sleep.

The sleep cycle app for the iphone is great at wakingyou up slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I nearly fell asleep reading this thread & it's not even 2 pages long yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I get 10 hours a day in summer but in the school year I'm lucky to get 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

4 hours at night, then another 1 hour 'nap' when I get home from work, when needed.

You get the most benefit from the first 1-2 hours of sleep.

Sleeping is a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I tend to sleep for about 9-10 hours on average most days, sometimes more like 11 to 12 hours maybe. The lowest amount I'd sleep in a given day might be 6-8 hours. I'd often sleep without waking until the next morning! I'm a very heavy sleeper so would take a lot to wake me! Wouldn't even hear thunder! I hate napping during day as I'd never feel fully awake or functional. I'd rather sleep for as long as I can and sleep in and be refreshed throughout the day for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

During the summer and at weekends, anything from 10 upwards.

During college, only around 6 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

About 12 hours. I wish I could get by on 6 hours a night. On the rare occasion I do, I more than make up for it the next night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I love my sleep, my old dad used to say the 2 hardest jobs of the day were going to bed and getting up. I totally agree, Once i'm in bed i nod off within 10 mins and thats me till the alarm. Usually 8-9 hrs later then I have to snooze for at least 40mins. Find it really hard to get outta the bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I usually aim for about 9 - 9.5 hours sleep. Though then I wake up and feel like I need more. plus it usually takes a bit too long to go asleep, especially lately.

I hate people saying you only need 7-8 hours, I know I need more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It keeps getting shorter and shorter.

When I was in college I'd feel hungover if I got less than 8 hours.

Got a job where I had to be in work for 8:15am. Which meant getting up earlier. So then I was down to 7.

For the last while though I've been going to bed at 1am. So that's 6 hours. And to tell you the truth, that 1 extra hour really does make a difference. I totally KO on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Weekdays, usually about 6 hours.

Although I've been having vicious bouts of insomnia recently.

Snap. I can stay awake all night, and at best I'm at that stage where I'm asleep enough to be dreaming but not deeply asleep enough to be 'out of it'.

So I can go around like a zombie all day, and then it gets to 11.00 or whenever, and I'm wide awake again.

Maybe I should get a job where I work nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

7 hours when I've work in the morning, could easily sleep 12 hours on the weekend, I love my sleep! Used to love my nap on the train home from work, but I don't get the train anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

During college usually 7/8 (not counting dozing off in lectures/library), sometimes 9 if I can get myself to bed for 11. At the weekend when I dont have to get up I'm usually recharging after the week so more than 12. During Summer if I'm not working and have nothing to get up for, easily 10+ hours a night.

I <3 sleep more than almost anything.

Master of the Universe

Piste wrote: »
    During Summer if I'm not working and have nothing to get up for, easily 10+ hours a night.

I <3 sleep more than almost anything.

I was like that for years. Especially in college (and those long jobless summers)

Got really interested in Lucid dreaming. Of course you have to sleep to do that..so I spent even longer in bed.

Then I realized I was sleeping my life away. I'll have plenty of time to do that when I'm dead.

Saying that, I'm really looking forward to my Saturday lie in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Prob get on average about 7, find it impossible to lie in tho unless I've a really bad hangover!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was like that for years. Especially in college (and those long jobless summers)

Got really interested in Lucid dreaming. Of course you have to sleep to do that..so I spent even longer in bed.

Then I realized I was sleeping my life away. I'll have plenty of time to do that when I'm dead.

Saying that, I'm really looking forward to my Saturday lie in!

Hmm I think that's what I've been doing.

kfallon wrote: »
    Prob get on average about 7, find it impossible to lie in tho unless I've a really bad hangover!

Opposite, I can wake up impossibly early if I've been out the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't require that much sleep - five/six hours a night will do me. I'm on evening shifts at the mo and can't sleep til stupidly late, yet I still wake early-ish so I might only get three or four hours' sleep, but it's fine. If anything, a long sleep makes me absolutely drained. I would avoid taking sleeping tablets. Once, I took a hayfever tablet with obvious sleeping tablet properties, and it knocked me out for 15 hours and I was just more tired after that than I've ever been. Strange how it goes...

That said, I could never NOT sleep - the relatively short sleeps I have are still essential for me, and my heart goes out to insomniacs. Must be awful.

Master of the Universe

Luxie wrote: »
    Hmm I think that's what I've been doing.

I got to a point where going to sleep was like going on some mad adventure. It was amazing. There are devices you can get are meant to help you lucid dream. I found what worked for me was to stay up really late and then sleep with curtains open. When the sun came up and shone on my face face it would kick it all off.

I've heard nicotine patches have crazy effects on your mind while you're sleeping too. I'd have tried it out if I knew about it back then.

But we all have to work I guess. 6/7 hours a night with work and I can't remember any of my dreams at all anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I got a sleep cycle app for my iphone which uses body movements to try and wake you in a 30 minute window before your alarm time when your not in deep sleep.

Have found I do wake up less tired although that could be down to the fact that once i started monitoring my sleep i noticed i was getting an average of about 4 1/2 hours a night and tried to change that.
    I was never realy that tired except for a half hour os so when I woke up.

Strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm a sleep fiend. I love sleep more than anything. I sleep about 10 hours a night (more if I could)

I could sleep for 24-48 hours no problem. Pure pleasure!

I view sleeping as a recreational activity. I fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow.

But I can't 'nap' during the day, y'know that madness of sleeping for an hour or something.....just can't do it. If I know I have to be up in less than 4/5 hours then I can't relax enough to drop off. I'll just have pure stage fright.

I can't believe some people said they didn't like sleep and think sleeping's a waste of time!!! :eek: Insanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Getting 3-4 at the minute.

Usually I need/get between 6-7 a night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very rarely more than 8 hours a night, and usually more like 6.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I got to a point where going to sleep was like going on some mad adventure. It was amazing. There are devices you can get are meant to help you lucid dream. I found what worked for me was to stay up really late and then sleep with curtains open. When the sun came up and shone on my face face it would kick it all off.

I've heard nicotine patches have crazy effects on your mind while you're sleeping too. I'd have tried it out if I knew about it back then.

But we all have to work I guess. 6/7 hours a night with work and I can't remember any of my dreams at all anymore :(

Not sure I'm keen myself, but I love how 'realistic' they were, and I'd 'wake up' periodically, but then 'fall asleep' again, and the dream just picked up where it left. Like a nightly soap opera or summat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Bout 10-12 a weekday. more on a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

4 realy, maybe 5 at weekends.

Used to work nights and 3 cycle shifts for months at a time.
    You'll soon manage to cope

People in work seem surprised at how few hours, works for me I guess

Head down to the car in the carpark at lunch somedays, a 20 minute nap and you feel great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I generally need at least 8 to properly function but I'd have to be sleeping for almost 10 hours to feel completely well rested.

I don't get nearly enough in college. Last year I averaged 6-7 hours and found it hard to think straight as well as making my voice sound weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I get between 4 and 6 hours a night, but then sometimes I do a night shift and that really screws up my sleep pattern, especially when I do 8pm - 8am a few days in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I only sleep when I'm tired so I could stay awake for up to 2 days at a time then sleep. Even when I am sleeping regularly, it's usually just for 3 or 4 hours at a time but I might do this twice in 1 "day".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

After being an undersleeper my whole life I've gone the other way in the last year or so.

I'd rather be a 7 hour person like i used to be though. You feel so much fresher and motivated to do stuff. Now I'm just lazy and groggy the whole time (sounds kinda counter-intuitive but if I sleep too much my brain decides there's nothing urgent in my life so I can take it easy).

Also, this thread can basically be renamed "who has to get up early in the morning" :pac:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement