Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathfarnham 5k 26th September

• 31-08-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Race details

A club race, over a nice course. 20 euro entry, or 25 on the day.

This was OH's first race last year, after which she gave me a kick and told me to start the couch to 5k plan, so I'll probably do it.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 17 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    64%
    tHE vAGGABONDstrokeslovermenoscemojcsmumtoken56rsomgerard65PainIsTemporarydigger2d2tunguskacwgatling 11 votes
    3 stars (average)
    35%
    Jk_EirePWEIW.B. Yeatsmaria74RayCunCountess Macky 6 votes
    2 star (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

4 stars (good)
    My first race too EVER, so I have to do it. See if I've improved any bit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've done it a few times now as it's only down the road, very fast course in my opinion, would be a good one for boardsies looking for a PB. I'll be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

jcsmum wrote: »
    My first race too EVER, so I have to do it. See if I've improved any bit :D

Great race on a great course been doing it for years and yet i still make the same mistake every year of hitting the first mile too fast its that damn down hill first mile some people need to take into account for certain ( a warning for anyone who has not done it before). Went out last year planning about five min and taking into account it would be fast and ended up hitting 4.41 first mile (equalling my track mile PB:D) and died a death. This year will be in heavy training so not expecting PB but i will be happy with a good solid run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

see if you take that first mile too fast and the legs are already close to max, your going to be in trouble, that left at the crossroads although only a couple hundred meters of an uphill can zap you altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    In Like Flynn. I Can't wait for this race :D
    I am hoping to break 20 minutes for this, it is almost a bigger goal for me than DCM so I'll be delighted if I managed it.

I just got in under 22 minutes last year which I was delighted with, but I remember running the first km in 3:3x :eek:, I slowed down but still went through the mile in 6:2x which was by over thirty seconds the fastest mile I had ever done to that point.

I really have to be more even paced this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I've always wondered is this course too downhill to count for record purposes? Not that it matters for the likes of us but what if say Mark Christie set a PB or NR for Road 5k on that course, would it count?

I did this race last year. Managed a PB (21:02) but missed my target by 3 seconds. Cant win 'em all!

04072511 wrote: »
    I've always wondered is this course too downhill to count for record purposes? Not that it matters for the likes of us but what if say Mark Christie set a PB or NR for Road 5k on that course, would it count?

I did this race last year. Managed a PB (21:02) but missed my target by 3 seconds. Cant win 'em all!

i dont think so as being a lap you return to your original elevation and on the last k i dont think counts too downhill so you can rest assured your PB on this course will still be valid;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

ecoli wrote: »
    i dont think so as being a lap you return to your original elevation and on the last k i dont think counts too downhill so you can rest assured your PB on this course will still be valid;)

What is the IAAF rule? For the Marathon is it something like no more than 42 metre drop from start to finish? I think the Great North Run doesnt count officially for record purposes for the Half Marathon as it is too downhill.

I'm claiming this one as a PB regardless.

04072511 wrote: »
    What is the IAAF rule? For the Marathon is it something like no more than 42 metre drop from start to finish? I think the Great North Run doesnt count officially for record purposes for the Half Marathon as it is too downhill.

I'm claiming this one as a PB regardless.

The rule is anything over a metre per km for all road races so if there is a net gain of up to 5m its legal after that it goes as follows:

Over the net drop of 1 m/km every 0.1 m/km is equal to 6 + 0.6 points for each 0.1 m/km. (e.g. 1.1 m/km = - 6.6 points; 1.2 m/km = -7.2 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Wasn't sure whether to do this one or not - on one hand it was also my first race ever - last year - I really enjoyed it despite running with a chest infection and I swore I'd do it every year. On the other hand I have a wedding the day before :eek: and I'm in training for DCM. But having read these comments - feck it says I - I'm in! Might help to clear the head :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    thats gas, this is also my first race ever. Only gotten into running over last few months as I have been doing it to help loose weight so I decided to take the plunge and see what these races are like and get out and do one :) [I also grew up around this area, so its a nice first one to do, from that POV]

Im running about 6.20 odd per KM now, so I guess my goal would be to improve on that and do it as close to 30 mins as possible? [and cross fingers Im not last :)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    There were plenty of walkers last year, so at about 30 minutes you'd be far from last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

3 stars (average)
    Sounds great, think Ill sign up for this as a first race also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm on for this as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

4 stars (good)
    I'm looking to do this one myself. It'll be my first race in 2 years so I dont know what to expect. I've heard its a fast course, but I guess that will all be down to how you feel on the day. I'm looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Will probably give this one a bash myself, first race since February after injury. Be interested to see where im at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Am I right in saying that on-line entries close tomorrow?

4 stars (good)
    To answer my own question, online entry closses friday 24/09/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 stars (average)
    Just signed up....
    Here's hoping that I can transfer the good distance from h.m. in my legs into a bit of speed....
    I ran this in 27.4 something last year:eek:- and to be honest that was all I was capable of.......
    Hoping for something better this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

4 stars (good)
    I signed up this morning, was really looking forward to it this earlier but got my LSR out of the way today and now feel wrecked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    The watch from last year is still keeping good time:) And its a nice looking long sleeved top this year. They always have a different finish prize every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

4 stars (good)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I signed up this morning, was really looking forward to it this earlier but got my LSR out of the way today and now feel wrecked!

But now you have a few days of rest or shorter runs - you'll be in flying form for Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I see Martin Fagan is running now .

3 stars (average)
    shels4ever wrote: »

There go my chances of winning so :D

4 stars (good)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    But now you have a few days of rest or shorter runs - you'll be in flying form for Sunday!

I've recovered...Did an 8 mile today and was fine. I think my over indulgence of Guinness, vino, popcorn, crisps, peanuts and rib-eye after the half caught up on me yesterday!

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »

Will he get the last top?

4 stars (good)
    We start on a downhill trajectory(springfield road I think). Its about a 1.2km stretch thats slightly decending. Then we turn left at the crossroads and hit a hill. Not a monster by any stretch of the imagination but after the decent its a kick in the balls and ive found that it does kind of knock the stuffin' out of you. Climb for 200meteres then it flattens out. We then hit the corner to turn onto the terenure road(2km point). Now we hit a drag that lasts for 1.3km to take us up by bus park. Not as sharp a hill as the first one but still, if its a breezy day, this will cause trouble. Be tough enough anyway seeing as though its a 5k race and the pace is prett much flat out. Then we hit another crossroads at 3.6km, turn left and decend to the doubleback to the race starting point. Its downhill to just about the finish, where at about 250meters to go it flattens out and kind of goes up a little bit, not much but enough to zap the last bit from your legs.

3 stars (average)
    Registered online the other evening
    Last year they sent numbers out in the post-
    Nothing came for me today-
    Is there a registration/number collection point in Ternure College?

3 stars (average)
    Do you have a registration confirmation mail? You could bring that along on Sunday, they should be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Do you have a registration confirmation mail? You could bring that along on Sunday, they should be able to sort you out.

I do have the email
    Its about half a mile from Ternure College to the start though so don't want to be wandering around before the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

half a mile is a 5min jog, just incorporate it into your warm up

3 stars (average)
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    half a mile is a 5min jog, just incorporate it into your warm up

Ah I know that- its just that I hate arriving at a race without everything lined up, there's always the potential for a fcuk up along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Registered online the other evening
    Last year they sent numbers out in the post-
    Nothing came for me today-
    Is there a registration/number collection point in Ternure College?

Yes, we will have a desk for collection of numbers on Sunday. Just come in to the hall and there will be someone there to help you.

Havinf run last year, you probably know this already but the start is very close to the College. So don't worry about making it there on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Am trying to register for this race online - closing date is today...which I thought meant you had to entry by today at the latest - it woudl let me enter - says it closed to entiries....boo hiss...:mad:

3 stars (average)
    It's closed to online entries, but you can still enter on the day.

• Advertisement

fungirl1 wrote: »
    Am trying to register for this race online - closing date is today...which I thought meant you had to entry by today at the latest - it woudl let me enter - says it closed to entiries....boo hiss...:mad:

Sorry about that. Online entries closed last night.
    You can still register on the day in Terenure College.
    Registration will be open from 8am on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

is there chip timing for this? cheers for the heads up on the course, wuill take it easy(ish) in the first mile

is there chip timing for this? cheers for the heads up on the course, wuill take it easy(ish) in the first mile

No, no chip timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

3 stars (average)
    I might be doing this on Sunday. If there is no chip timing,how are you supposed to get an accurate time if your not near the front at the start?

3 stars (average)
    PWEI wrote: »
    I might be doing this on Sunday. If there is no chip timing,how are you supposed to get an accurate time if your not near the front at the start?

There will probably be about 5/600 people running, so it won't take more than a few seconds to cross the line. (It's always good to have your own stopwatch anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

3 stars (average)
    First timer here...had a look at map. Is there a lot of uphill running? I seem to have hurt my knee (not too bad) but am now even slower than before (didn't think this was possible but apparently it is:rolleyes:). Am dreading being last person across and worried it might put me off ever running in a race again! Should I do it or give a miss I suppose is what Im wondering.

4 stars (good)
    maria74 wrote: »
    First timer here...had a look at map. Is there a lot of uphill running? I seem to have hurt my knee (not too bad) but am now even slower than before (didn't think this was possible but apparently it is:rolleyes:). Am dreading being last person across and worried it might put me off ever running in a race again! Should I do it or give a miss I suppose is what Im wondering.

There'll be plenty of walkers, so If you are running at all, you certainly won't be last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

PWEI wrote: »

Thi fascination with chip time amazes me. For a mass marathon start with 1000s of runners I can understand it but as stated above in a field of 600 on a wide road at most you will pass start 5 seconds after gun. I always look at my clock time at the finish also so for me chip time is usually an expensive add on.

Thumbs up for this race by the way it's very fast but save something for 3-4k.

3 stars (average)
    maria74 wrote: »
    First timer here...had a look at map. Is there a lot of uphill running?

There's one hill, up from the river to Terenure, but it's nothing serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    Really looking forward to this now, as its my first ever race :) [so therefore a touch nervous, but no harm at all in that!]

3 stars (average)
    From my limited experience and last year's run this is a great race
    Wide road, one hill only really. A fast course
    If you go with a good frame of mind this has PB written all over it

Really looking forward to it now

4 stars (good)
    Hi all...I saw bo-sco reference to registration/number collection in the 'hall' in Terenure College...Can anyone confirm if that's the Sports Hall or in the actual school itself?Thanks,digger

4 stars (good)
    Hi all...I saw bo-sco reference to registration/number collection in the 'hall' in Terenure College...Can anyone confirm if that's the Sports Hall or in the actual school itself?Thanks,digger

It's ok...Found the details on Rathfarnham AC website, it's the sports hall

3 stars (average)
    It's ok...Found the details on Rathfarnham AC website, it's the sports hall

Sent the organisers an email and got this reply.
    Ask at registration desk in Ternure college before the race and you should be ok.
    Here's to a hassle free registration process- was at a great 5 km in Bohermeen in summer and they had to delay the start due to the amount of people that turned up to register on the day. Was I glad all I had to do was go to the preregistered desk:D

4 stars (good)
    Lads, it's not rocket science. Turn up at Terenure college and follow the crowds of runners ;)
    For those wanting an accurate time: try the old tried and tested method of a stopwatch, push start when you cross the start line and again when crossing the finish line :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement