Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from ATI 2900 Pro

Options
  • 31-08-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Guys

I'm looking at upgrading from my 2900 Pro at present. Anyone got any ideas?

I was looking at the 5850, but it's a bit pricey. Primarily hoping for something suitable for FSX. AMD cards prefered. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

whats the rest of your build like? and whats your budget for the GPU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

E6750 @ 3.2
    2GB RAM
    Corsair 620 PSU
    Gigabyte P35-DS4

Budget? €100-€150 I'd reckon looking for bang for buck, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

I remember FSX being rather CPU demanding than depending on GPU. 2900Pro should be fine for everything FSX related, a quad could improve much more here. Don't jump the gun on this tho, I'm not 100% sure.
    Can someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'd advise you split the budget and try to run more than 2GB of RAM. I've noticed windows performance get dramatically better when going from 2 to 3 Gig of RAM. 3 to 4 isn't very noticeable really in my experience. Then get yourself a HD 4XXX card which is DirectX 10.1 capable and they are very good value these days.

HD 5XXX will only be worth it if you plan to run some DX11 games or plan to upgrade the guts of your computer in 6 months to a year.

Checking the specs on FSX, the last patch notes say Dx 10.0 is as high as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ahhh but they just announced Microsoft Flight.

The Simulator Giant is being unshelved, after being shelved ominously just 18 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

... a quad could improve much more here. Don't jump the gun on this tho, I'm not 100% sure.
    Can someone confirm this?

I was looking at getting something like the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 to replace the current CPU. The mobo will be fine for it, and it will draw the same power as the current processor. Should that give it sufficient extra ooomph?

I have Vista on it - but I also have Win 7 still unopened as I want to use the 64-bit capabilities rather than registering it running as a 32-bit OS.

I can then throw on extra memory.

Graphics might have to wait....d'uh!

Advertisement