Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to buy?

• 31-08-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Ok, not a 'which dslr' thread, more an accessory suggestion thread.

I have €37 in my Paypal account begging to be used. Any suggestions? Any little extras I should be looking out for? I've already bought a few ND filters, a flash gun, some reverse ring adapters, a spare battery and a wired remote. Anything else good to buy on the cheap on the bay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Think I'll just write the "laws" on me fists :P

Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Memory cards are seldom wasted.

• Advertisement

Thanks Covey, did you have that bookmarked along with other bondage gear? :D

Ever think of doing stand up?

Good suggestion Paul. if I can't think of anything better, might be an extra card or wait until I sell something else to top it up and try get some kind of wide angle lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

jpb1974 wrote: »

Do you have a pic of you wearing one? Because I'll only buy it if I can be as cool as you!

:P

zero19 wrote: »

That could be fun alright. But my Dad still has a film-cam for me, he's been sending it for weeks now ...

• Advertisement

Ooooh, not bad. Wonder would the missus wear them for a shoot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

JPB / Cagey you lads are gas , been laughing me arse of here at the pair of ya all day fair play - good to see a bit of humour around here :D

I looked up "I hate canon" T-shirts but no go :(

Funny thing is, I could go Canon on my next cam, I'm really not committed to anything [except the psyche ward of course] :)

Loving the usual thumbs up on selective posts :D The peepers with no suggestions. Gives me a warm feeling inside to know my fans are ever close by ;)

Ooooh, not bad. Wonder would the missus wear them for a shoot?

I'll ask her tonight

(Your's that is)

(I jest)

I really do jest.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'll ask her tonight

(Your's that is)

(I jest)

You know I meant yours to begin with? right? :P

Back On topic: Might need a cable for the flash actually!

On a serious note:

A reflector - for those natural light moments.

Or

Some of those flash triggers (Cactus or whatever the cool cheap ones are called these days)

Reflectors! Now, there's a top suggestion.

Are those 5-in-one sets any good at all?

Are those 5-in-one sets any good at all?

I have a 5-in-1 but I only ever use the white and it does a very good job.

Get as large a reflector as the budget will allow... and get a good window with some good, in-direct, natural light.

They have to be better than a home made tin foil jobbie [I wouldn't carry that out in public like!]

The magazine I bought last week reviewed a bunch of reflector packs, will re-read it. I have been meaning to get a set for long time now. I think I would use the silver/gold/white a lot as I do a lot of children's portraits. I have French doors right beside me here at the pc, my wee studio :D And it gets great light during the day.

• Advertisement

my wee studio

I prefer to use a regular toilet myself.. but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I looked up "I hate canon" T-shirts but no go :(

Funny thing is, I could go Canon on my next cam, I'm really not committed to anything [except the psyche ward of course] :)

Loving the usual thumbs up on selective posts :D The peepers with no suggestions. Gives me a warm feeling inside to know my fans are ever close by ;)

Ah I wouldn't say that now, tis pushing it just a little- it's just another thread to be viewed and/or replied to or not. Anywhoo:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5224

Or as posted above, a good reflector.

Wee is sterile!

Not bad Kintaró [I can't do your little straight fada]

rowanh wrote: »

Another top idea, cheers. €37 can buy some goodies after all. I've had searcher's block, really didn't know what I wanted to look for.

Food for thought in this thread, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Add a few quid and get a Phottix grip for the D200...perfect for shooting portraits. The Phottix Cleon wireless remote is very handy too...especially for macro.

A wireless remote crossed my mind too. Using a wired one yesterday was a bit annoying, every time I moved the tripod the stupid thing would dangle and swing and wrap itself around the legs. In the winter I will need a wireless, for the night time shooting. Can live without it for the moment though.

A grip is another thing I've thought on, but don't know if I need it all that much. Are they really that beneficial?

A grip is another thing I've thought on, but don't know if I need it all that much. Are they really that beneficial?

I find that they balance the camera better. It'll also give you the extra shutter button and controls,better battery life....and it "looks" more professional having one fitted.:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

They have to be better than a home made tin foil jobbie [I wouldn't carry that out in public like!]

The magazine I bought last week reviewed a bunch of reflector packs, will re-read it. I have been meaning to get a set for long time now. I think I would use the silver/gold/white a lot as I do a lot of children's portraits. I have French doors right beside me here at the pc, my wee studio :D And it gets great light during the day.

Let me know what you decide, I need to get another one. Have one Denis let me borrow, but it only has the white & silver, I want the gold for warmer tones..

Hmm... not much help am I??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SusieQue wrote: »
    Let me know what you decide, I need to get another one. Have one Denis let me borrow, but it only has the white & silver, I want the gold for warmer tones..

Hmm... not much help am I??:rolleyes:

Hey, this thread isn't just for me :D I'm sure there's a good few out there with a few pennies burning holes in their pockets.

I would get use out of the gold for the same reason :)

Going to look at the reviews in the magazine I have here now, over a cuppa. And if the price is right for th best they suggest on ebay, I might be clicking buy nows later ;) will let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

One of 1216 deals here;

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.806

With dealextreme, €37 does go far.

(ok, discount the non applicable <<insert your brand>> stuff)

Everyone should bookmark the above link. Its like comfort eating on junk food :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Covey wrote: »

Totally uncalled for but at least you are back posting again rather than just lurking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Hey, this thread isn't just for me :D I'm sure there's a good few out there with a few pennies burning holes in their pockets.

Was chatting to a friend last night, and his young fella (about 8 years old). Story was he had a box of small change and told his kid he could keep whatever was in it if he helped him count it (thinking there was about 30 quid in it). Turned out, there was about €180 in it! But to be fair he stuck to his word, and the little fella bought himself a little Fuji bridge camera!

whyulittle wrote: »
    Was chatting to a friend last night, and his young fella (about 8 years old). Story was he had a box of small change and told his kid he could keep whatever was in it if he helped him count it (thinking there was about 30 quid in it). Turned out, there was about €180 in it! But to be fair he stuck to his word, and the little fella bought himself a little Fuji bridge camera!

Nice one :D

Do they take Paypal ACD? Maybe I'm going blind but can't see any option for it.

[edit] see it now, sorry.

Yup, there's a few bits on there I wouldn't mind.

Also, re: reflector boards, what size should I be looking for? All the ones reviewed in the mag are 107cm, but there are smaller versions available. I would be mostly doing upper body/head shots using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Is the stuff on that dealextreme site (dangerous site to be on when theres free time and spare money, i might add) likely to be caught by customs, or is it subject to import charges does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Good question. I was hit by the revenue/customs this week. They sent me a nice letter telling me they have my flash unit, and I can have it for 21% VAT plus a €6 handling charge ... I had to e-mail the Paypal receipt to them and say I was willing to pay the charges for them to send it on. If I'm not in tomorrow [they at least tell you when it will get to you] it'll go back to them or worse, back to the seller. They told me anything over €22 in value is game for VAT.

DX ship from Hong Kong...so anything above the €22 limit is liable to duties. I've bought tons of gadgety stuff (read.. sh!te) from them. :)

Check out their GGS lcd protectors,rocket blowers,lens caps,camera straps etc...all great value.

Yeah, sticking to the low-priced stuff should be ok.

It's Just like sticking to chinese sellers on ebay for the cheapies really. I see the flash I bought is on there for around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Is it €22 per item, or do they take a total worth of the package? because it wouldn't be too difficult to work up a bill of well in excess of $22 dollars on that site, thats guaranteed!:D

I think it's per item, which is why they ask for receipts. Not 100% on that though, can't find the letter right now. This is what they mailed back after I sent the receipt [a screen cap of did the job]

"Thank you for your email. Customs Charges of €13.63 are due on your package (€ 7.63 VAT @ 21% plus €6 post office handling fee). Your expected day of delivery is Wednesday 1 st. The charges can be paid to the postperson on delivery by cash or cheque/postal order made payable to“ An Post”. If you are not in when An Post call, they will leave a note in your letterbox advising where to collect your parcel and pay the charges."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

glaston wrote: »

Could get messy out in the field if switching lenses during your coffee break :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

You've just left the restaurant and have that horrible moment!!!! Where's my camera bag!................Panic!!!!
    Well...Don't leave your your camera bag behind........
    I use one of these and surprise, surprise they work...........For a few Euro it will provide a reminder. Not a replacement for personal vigilance but it may be of some help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Lost-Electronic-Pets-Purse-Luggage-Reminder-Alarm-/160472580122?pt=UK_Safety_Alarms#ht_2619wt_1137

Found a 5-in-one 22" reflector set for €8 inc P&P. No-make, but can't really go wrong at that price.

Added a TTL flash extension cord and some macro extension tubes [to go with the reverse ring for my 50mm] for some nice close up shooting, should be able to close the aperture down much more once I get the flash going too :)

All that for €25 - The rest went on a mains adapter for the missus' laptop. Before she burns the house down with the damaged one she currently uses :D

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming for others if you like, and I may flog some more crap gear/dvds etc .... and come looking for more.

Just to jump in;

Customs will hit yo if your parcel is valued at more than €22. For example, MyMemory were doing a good deal on rechargable A4 batteries recently. It was something like four A4 batteries for £5. So I bought £15's worth of batteries. Had i bought £20 worth, then i'd go over €22, and would be liable for customs charges.

Most Hong Kong (and other international) sellers know this, and will usually write on your parcel that it costs less than €22 to try and get it through customs for you (as obviously it benefits them for you not to get caught).

However, Revenue aren't fools and have copped onto that one long ago (a few of my parcels have been valued at less than €22 and Revenue still stopped them).

I believe Deal Extreme offer free shipping? If so, just buy all your items (or up to €22 worth of items) at one time. If you're buying €37 worth of gear, spend €20 and then €17 on two seperate orders if you can (you obviously can't avoid it if one product costs over €22 on its own).

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. I've been nailed by customs more times than I care to remember.

Anyway, back on topic;

Is there anything you should look for in a light tent? Is there anything that makes one better than another, for example? Wouldn't mind picking up one. Wouldn't mind a reflector either. Quality thread.

The sellers in Hong Kong tried to beat the revenue by writing "birthday gift" on the parcel :D - nice try, but as you said, they're more than well used to these little tricks by now. Cost me just shy of €14 on top of the €36 I paid for the flash, but I think it was still worth it.

Just been messing around with it and, well, I have to admit ... I am now , already, in love with bouncing flash! What a treat to be able to shoot ISO 100 @ f/5 in the darkest room in the house, where the kids are usually at - without blinding them with the terrible on-board flash. Such a warm, natural effect from bouncing. I shall use that a lot.

Also nice that it triggered as a slave from the on board flash with no hassle whatsoever. I have a cord on order, which will cut out the cam-flash altogether, but for now I have it set right down low. Almost as good as a full wireless flash.

Looking forward to the reflectors arriving too. This is the cheap set I ordered, well below the €22:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/60CM-22-5-1-Light-Multi-Photo-Collapsible-Reflector-/190435856319?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL#ht_2825wt_1137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Gadget Infinity http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php will deliver a cactus v4 wireless flash trigger kit to your door for US$45 approx.

I have been using these for a while & they are not perfect, but not bad. Great value overall.

Or, you can get a dozen eneloops from nkon.nl ( who i have found to be excellent) for about eu 33 delivered.

Both accept paypal.

Enjoy!

Will look into wireless at a later date for sure. Just going to get used to the flash itself first, give it a good work out. It works wirelessly triggered by the on-cam flash, up to a good distance too - in front, to either side, behind, doesn't have to be 'looking' at the camera to fire and completely in sync, which is great. i somehow thought it wouldn't, which is why I ordered the cord before it arrived - but at least with the cord I can close off the onboard flash altogether

Maybe down the line I'll add another, and then I will need proper wireless triggers.

Advertisement