Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist attractions in Laois ....

Options
  • 31-08-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

.... anyone recommend things to do in Laois mid-September.

Got 2 visitors (40-somethings) from across the Atlantic arriving soon .... would appreciate any recomendations .... thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

If it's a nice day, Emo Court has a lovely tea rooms and the grounds are really nice. There's also a small market there on sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Rock of Dunamase, Glenbarrow and Round Tower of Timahoe are three good things to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Check out Dunamaise Arts Centre and see if there's anything on of interest around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Theres a fine motorway that'll bring you to Dublin for a bit of shopping :D
    Joking aside, any more info on your visitors would be helpful (is it a couple or 2 men or women, any specific interests etc)
    Here's a few places I've come across:
    If they like walking and the outdoors, Glenbarrow is a really lovely place to go. Emo is great too and has a more touristy vibe as opposed to Glenbarrow simply being a naturally lovely spot. You also have the rock of dunmase, which is like a mini-cashel, just outside portlaoise. There are also a few museums and stuff around...I think theres a steam engine one in stradbally and another one about shooting and angling but i cant remember where. Speaking of fishing, theres a fishing lake in clonaslee if their interested. Theres also the laois heritage trail or the sliabh bloom villages drive which could kill a day. A bit outside laois but still close are the japanese gardens and the national stud in kildare or the lough boora parklands in offaly which also has fishing lakes (google that, its a brilliant place). Theres also a good dose of entertainment in the pubs, dunamaise arts centre and sky venue at the heritage hotel to fill up your evenings. Most of the pubs are on facebook and their upcoming bands and such are listed. Theres also bowling and go-karting if your up for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Thanks all for the suggestions ... they are a couple ... outdoors type I'd say ... up for a bit of 'pub culture' too.

Emo Court sounds good .... I also have Castlecomer Discovery Park in mind .. that was recommended to me. Japenese Gardens is on the list too with some shopping in Kildare/Newbridge.

Anyone know of good trad sessions in any of the pubs .... not someone belting out Fields of Athenry .... but some good musicians ???

Keep 'em coming !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

There was a similar thread to this some time ago, if I can find it...here it is:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795558

though I think most of the places mentioned are already covered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think the Japanese Gardens in Kildare are very over rated and more of a tourist trap than anything; they were probably the bees knees 20 years ago. If you're going to travel you'd be better off visiting Altamount House and gardens in Carlow, Lough Boora (already mentioned), Belvedere House in Mullingar, amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

there is the old workhouse in Donaghmore (near rathdowney) its basically a museum from famine times, if there into history then they would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

depending on what date your visitors are coming over, the Ploughing Championships are on in Athy 21st 23rd Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Thanks for all the ideas .... I'll let ye know how we get on.

Any suggestions for a pub with good trad music????

• Advertisement
Advertisement