Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric dog collars

Options
  • 31-08-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting one of those collars you know the ones where you can set out an area kinda like an electric fence to keep the dog from running out on the road but to allow him to have a bit of freedom.
    The collars are very expensive though like 150 quid or something are they worth the cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

The collars are very expensive though like 150 quid or something are they worth the cost?

Yes! My sister's house was in the middle of nowhere until a huge road was built right at the end of her garden. Her lab had never roamed or had traffic issues but suddenly with traffic so close the pooch was inclined to bolt towards the road. They got a radio fence, gave the dog a very large area and it has worked a treat.

They are expensive but very effective. Look for one that comes with boundary marker flags. That way you can teach the dog to stay within the area marked by the flags so they'll very rarely have to get a shock from crossing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would say no, I think you'd be much better off with a reasonably sized run and then sufficient exercise with you around. Could you build a secure run, with a view to building a proper fence in the future around your land?

There are many reasons why shock collars are not a great idea which I'm sure you'll be told in the following posts ;). But my main problems with them would be, I don't believe in using pain to teach dogs and those fences are not secure.

I also personally know 2 dogs who had burns on their necks from them. So they're not as "harmless" as the advertisments or the advocates would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Absol no way! These contraptions are cruel and unnecessary and are not safe. They are unreliable so i would urge you not to buy one of these.

Build a proper dog run or fence in an area for your dog but do not buy one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I only know of one person who used a radio fence, on a boxer. They had to get rid of it as he kept charging at it and clearing the boundry and getting shocked. Once the dog is on the otherside if he's gone after something he will be very reluctant to cross it again to get back into the area. You aren't very likely to find much support on this forum for any training that involves giving an electic shock to a dog, it is no substitute anyway for proper secure fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

deffo worth it..

have one for 3 years. dog has only got one "hit" from it. even now when turned off he still wont cross where the line is. excellent product.

only flaw i have is when the battery goes in the collar it dosent warn you and after 3 to 4 days with out the warning beeps the dog will realise it is gone.

the poster whose dog charged through it mustnt have had the sensor setting high enough..needs to be a t least 6 may be even 8 for a big dog.

highly recommend it.

• Advertisement

koppy wrote: »
    deffo worth it..

the poster whose dog charged through it mustnt have had the sensor setting high enough..needs to be a t least 6 may be even 8 for a big dog.

highly recommend it.

This bit makes me sad, poor dog, must be so painful for him, cant imagine it:(

Koppy, why are you thanking me?? You were the one saying to have it up high, so cruel:confused:

OP, have a read of this thread, all you need to know about Shock Collars:mad:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865241

it dosent get stronger "hit" by upping the level..it warns the dog with beeps further from the actual line.
    taught these were cruel till saw them working.

also important to get the right size collar or it would be cruel. big do = big collar etc.

andreac wrote: »
    Koppy, why are you thanking me?? You were the one saying to have it up high, so cruel:confused:

OP, have a read of this thread, all you need to know about Shock Collars:mad:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865241

what you mean?

Edit

see what you mean..sorry didnt mean to do it.

You were saing to turn it up higher, i said thats cruel as they get a bigger shock, and then you thanked me.
    I wasnt agreeing with you, i was disagreeing saying its cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

My aunt's neighbour recently got one for her dog. It has no affect at all. The dog still runs out of the garden whenever it's let outside.

You'd be better off investing in good fencing around the area. It's more reliable and safer for the animal. This comes from someone with 8 dogs who all try running after every car that passes by the house :P

We have a large garden, and every inch of it it is fenced off with a sturdy wooden fence. There's also wire mesh attached onto it (and dug into the ground) so that any smaller dogs like Pugs can't escape through it. The garden gate is always closed and locked incase someone opens it and they get out.
    Wouldn't want any dogs getting killed on the road :O

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

yeah my biggest fear is how secure they are ... this guy is pretty mad for the tiny little fella that he is and I could see him running straight through it and off out onto the road, (he has no sense at all when it comes to cars) I don't really like the idea of an enclosure, I'd like for him to have as much space as possible and to be able to play with our other dog (who is grand as far as the road goes and never chases cars or anything)

only cruel if not used correctly..training is very important. you cant increase the power of the hit only the warning distance. as said the collar size is the most important bit.

highly recommend it.

The dog was very much aware that the boundry was there and where it was, that is why he was charging to get across it, he wasn't giving chase or anything he just wanted to cross the boundry, when he wanted back in he'd charge at it again. What I meant by a dog going after something was hypothetial to a degree, if a dog is aware of the boundry and in normal circumstances respects that boundry but wants to give chase to something on the otherside (as in the OP's case) he will be more determined than usual to get across it. If he does so he won't have the same motivation to cross back over it and will be stuck on the wrong side of it.

only cruel if not used correctly..training is very important. you cant increase the power of the hit only the warning distance. as said the collar size is the most important bit.

Sorry but they are cruel. Anything that shocks a dog is cruel.

They are not 100% safe or reliable, A dog can still get out and other dogs can come in so they arent safe in my opinion.

A dog run or fencing is much more humane, responsible and safe.

had he the proper size collar for the type of dog..?
    was the battery gone in the collar..?

only know two others who have this and both feel the same as me..

my dog got out once and that was because the collar battery was gone.

Does this not prove to you how unreliable they are? Your dog could have wandered off, caused an accident or anything. If he was fenced in properly there would be no fear of this kind of thing possibly happening. I would never, ever risk the safety of my dog by using this type of equipment.

deffo worth it..

have one for 3 years. dog has only got one "hit" from it. even now when turned off he still wont cross where the line is. excellent product.

only flaw i have is when the battery goes in the collar it dosent warn you and after 3 to 4 days with out the warning beeps the dog will realise it is gone.

highly recommend it.

what make is the one you got? I've seen a couple of different ones

make of mine is cheetah.

what make is the one you got? I've seen a couple of different ones

Im guessing you didnt read that link i put up and you are still going to get one. Poor dog:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Lifted from Dog Training Ireland Website
    Thinking of buying an Invisible fence or Training Collar for your dog? Think again.

The following organisations condemn the use of these collars and products:

* Dogs Trust
    * RSPCA
    * Association of Pet Behaviour Councillors
    * Association of Pet Dog Trainers
    * The Kennel Club UK
    * The British Veterinary Association

Establishments that have already banned electric shock collars, include the Association of Chief Police Officers, the armed forces, and the two largest German Shepherd Dog clubs in the UK..

Dog Training Ireland also condemns the use of electric collars and products in any form.

Electric collars and products include the following:

* Shock collars also referred to as training collars, e-collars, bark collars, anti-bark collars, remote electronic collars, pet safety collars, good dog bark collars
    * Containment systems also referred to as invisible fences, freedom fences, underground fences, electric fences, training fences, hidden fences
    * Electric Shock Mats of which there are two types: one is known as a ‘wireless crate’ and emits electric shocks to the dog when it steps off the mat and the other is called a ‘scat mat’ and emits an electric shock to the dog when it steps on the mat.
    * Electric shock leads emit electric shocks to a dog if it exerts more pressure on the lead than is considered ‘normal’ for its size.

Manufacturers market these products as being safe, effective, fast, reliable. The products use an electric shock as a punisher for behaviours such as barking or passing an invisible boundary and the remote control collars can be used to shock the dog for any behaviour. Manufacturers describe the shock as a 'correction', ' mild correction', 'sensation', 'unpleasant feeling', 'static' but they will never say that your dog receives an electric shock. The electric shock is delivered to the dogs neck via prongs that protrude and press on the dogs neck. Some manufacturers advise shaving the hair from the dogs neck and using a conductive gel to get a better 'connection'.

Studies such as the 'Training dogs with help of the shock collar, Department of Clinical Science of Companion Animals, University of Utrecht, Netherlands shows that the behavioural effects of the use of the shock collar resulted in dogs displaying avoidance, high pitched yelps, excessive lip licking, barks and squeals, avoidance, redirected aggression, tongue flicking all of which suggest fear and stress. The conclusions of the study are, that being trained is stressful, that receiving shocks is a painful experience to dogs, and that the dogs evidently have learned that the presence of their owner (or their commands) announces reception of shocks, even outside of the normal training context. This suggests that the welfare of these shocked dogs is at stake, at least in the presence of their owner. (Matthijs B.H. Schilder and Joanne A.M. van der Borg, was published in the Applied Animal Behaviour Science Journal)

The Association of Pet Behaviour Councillors say "A dog experiencing an unpleasant shock to the neck 'out of the blue' will associate the sensation with whatever the dog happens to be focusing on at the time. Used incorrectly, this could be an area, object, another dog, the owner or even a child"

The UK Kennel Club say "Electric shock collars are used on dogs by some people to give an electric shock when the dog is deemed to be behaving incorrectly. This leads to pain and confusion for the dog, affecting it physically and mentally"

In our opinion shock collars fail to address the underlying behavioural problem and are more likely to cause other serious behavioural problems such as aggression, fear, stress, urination without control, lack of ability to cope, depression, anxiety, pain and other physical problems. The use of Shock collars cause confusion to the dog as to where the shock came from and the dog is more likely to associate the shock with the presence of the owner or anything in the dogs immediate vicinity at the time the shock occurs.

Does this not prove to you how unreliable they are? Your dog could have wandered off, caused an accident or anything. If he was fenced in properly there would be no fear of this kind of thing possibly happening. I would never, ever risk the safety of my dog by using this type of equipment.

thats my only complaint with them is that there is no warning when the battery is going.battery lasted about 10 months when it went and he got out. i change it now every six months.

Yes the collar was the proper size and no the battery wasn't flat as they didn't use it very long. Obviously it's not my dog or my fence but i know it was working because I was told he always yelped as he crossed it, didn't keep him from doing it again though!:(

<ETA> It was one that vibrated before the dog got close to the fence and he'd come up to the point where it started to vibrate and stand there and growl for a bit before charging at the boundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I don't think it's cruel tbh. I don't use one as I have no need but my friend did.

The dog learned quickly and AFAIK it was only a minor discomfort for him. Now he has the freedom to roam the garden and he doesn't get shocked anymore at all because he doesn't go near the area.

Also it makes a noise as he is approaching the area so he has a warning and can leave. But then again I wouldn't have done it to my dog unless it would greatly increase his freedom.

all i can say is it works for mine.

wasnt able to afford fencing so checked theese out. went to see two other poeples working and was impressed. had two choices try it or get rid of dog.
    tried it and dont regret it and dont believe its cruel.

prpoer training..proper collar..full freedom of one acre garden...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I honestly believe that people who think shocking a dog is not cruel should try these collars out themselves first, I work in an enviroment with live voltages and any shock no mater how small is damn uncomfortable and not pleasent at all

Im guessing you didnt read that link i put up and you are still going to get one. Poor dog:(

just looked at it there .... don't think I'll be getting one after all

most of the people who are against these because they are cruel haven't seen them working.
    proper setup..proper training..proper collar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I knew as soon as I saw this thread that the cruelty stories would come out again. :rolleyes:

Some people seem to assume that the dog will be walking up to the electric fence and getting shocked over and over. Must be one thick dog!!! Or a very thick owner who doesn't understand the technique.

Works well for us (1/2 acre) and the boxer. Not pleasant when introducing her to it I'll admit but after the introduction she has free rein all over the 1/2 acre and never even attempts to get out on the road anymore.

Don't get put off by horror stories of shocking dogs 100 times a day. Thats not how it works. It's far better than having a dog chained up!

• Advertisement

most of the people who are against these because they are cruel haven't seen them working.
    proper setup..proper training..proper collar

yeah well I saw one working before and was very impressed the guy who had it said the dog got one shock off off it and never crossed the flags again. Those pics have kinda put me off now though so am really in two minds ... surely there was a problem with that collar or something?

Advertisement