Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric dog collars

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

again just to clear a few things up..

cant believe people give advise on stuff they know nothing:eek: about..!

koppy wrote: »
    just to clear things up..

my dog is treated as a family member.
    i fully researched the electric collars before buying. i had heard of the same issues every one else heard of and was wary. i went and looked at one of these with a dog already trained and my mind was changed.

i spent 4-5 weeks training my dog before he was allowed out with out a lead.
    every 6-8 weeks i re-train the dog.

a good few people have told that after getting one the dog keeps getting shocked, he is able to run over it and get out, the shock he gets is too much and its pure cruelty.

when you ask did you use the flags correctly they dont know what your talking about..dogs were never trained.
    the shock is too much..if trained properly he will not be getting shocks
    its cruel..most of these complaints are from people who never seen a proper set up with a properly trained dog.
    if a dog goes any where near the first warning beep and goes further he is not trained simple as.!

another one..you have to shock the dog to train him...wrong again no shock required to train. the collar either vibrates or beeps as a warning. really think you should go and check out some one who is in the middle of training a dog and see how it works as i dont think facebook captured the system working properly.

my decision was based on several issues and the dogs safety was top of the issues. the look of the fence was not one of them. at the time if i could of afforded fencing i would not have researched the electric collars and would be probably advising not to buy as they are cruel and dont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Limestone1 wrote: »
    And these uncomfortable shocks - have they taught you to stop touching ??

Are you for real?

What I would say after reading the posts on here, is that those of you who seem to use these would seem to use them humanely, and you do make a good argument for their use, Koppy in particular.

Its horses for courses really. In my circumstances I have no need to use one, and would like to think I would never need to use one. I do think that for some dogs they probably work quite well as outlined by some of the posters here but I think it would be naive for anyone to think that they would work for every dog

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

andreac wrote: »
    They wouldnt have to get hit by a car if they were fenced in properly:rolleyes:

in fairness some people dont always have the choice to have them Fenced in properly. i dont have a shock collar on my dog because i have no need but my boyf gran lived in the country lots of land and needed one to stop the dog getting out to the road/other farm animals!

did she have the option of getting fences no it would of cost her a small fourtune to secure the land! a run would also be expensive for her and would not give the dog enough freedom!
    i wore the shock collar to try it and it is not cruel if it is set correctly!!! the dog gets a warning before getting a vibrate anyways and all the dogs no this buy now and avoid going out!!

if fencing or a run is not an option then yes i would go with a collar!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

sophie1234 wrote: »
    in fairness some people dont always have the choice to have them Fenced in properly. i dont have a shock collar on my dog because i have no need but my boyf gran lived in the country lots of land and needed one to stop the dog getting out to the road/other farm animals!

did she have the option of getting fences no it would of cost her a small fourtune to secure the land! a run would also be expensive for her and would not give the dog enough freedom!
    i wore the shock collar to try it and it is not cruel if it is set correctly!!! the dog gets a warning before getting a vibrate anyways and all the dogs no this buy now and avoid going out!!

if fencing or a run is not an option then yes i would go with a collar!

It is your responsibility as a dog owner to make sure your dog is safe and secure in a humane way. These collars are not.
    If you cannot provide this then you shouldnt get a dog in the first place.

Dogs dont need acres of space to run around in. If a dog is walked everyday then they dont need a huge garden to run around all day. Dogs will happily chill out and sleep when their owners arent around and dont spend all day running around a garden on their own so a small area fenced off or a dog run is perfectly fine for any dog once its getting regular exercise everyday.

These collars are an easy way out for some dog owners who cant be repsonsible and ensure their dog is safe which these collars arent which a few people have stated who actually use these collars on the dogs, so the proof is there.

It is your responsibility as a dog owner to make sure your dog is safe and secure in a humane way. These collars are not.
    If you cannot provide this then you shouldnt get a dog in the first place.

Dogs dont need acres of space to run around in. If a dog is walked everyday then they dont need a huge garden to run around all day. Dogs will happily chill out and sleep when their owners arent around and dont spend all day running around a garden on their own so a small area fenced off or a dog run is perfectly fine for any dog once its getting regular exercise everyday.

These collars are an easy way out for some dog owners who cant be repsonsible and ensure their dog is safe which these collars arent which a few people have stated who actually use these collars on the dogs, so the proof is there.

seriously you really haven't a clue about these collars at all. honestly cant see how you can comment on stuff that you know nothing about. ye must be just trying to stir a reaction. have to be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seriously you really haven't a clue about these collars at all. honestly cant see how you can comment on stuff that you know nothing about. ye must be just trying to stir a reaction. have to be..

Believe me Andreac knows more that you could ever believe. Every word in that post is true. If dogs are properly exercised they do not need a run or a garden.

My 3 (nearly wrote 2 !) never go into the garden unless on leads. They get two long walks off lead every morning & evening. They are healthy & in superb condition as well as being very content.

the bit about the collars been an easy way out for some dog owners who cant be repsonsible and ensure their dog is safe is not true..!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

the bit about the collars been an easy way out for some dog owners who cant be repsonsible and ensure their dog is safe is not true..!

They arent safe. People who actually use these, have stated in this thread how unreliable they are!
    The proof is there. More than one poster has said that their dogs have gone through the fence and ran out of the perimeter/garden, so NO, they arent safe.:mad: How can you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

as i have said, i have one, it's absolutely brilliant.

my neighbours also know that when dog ****e appears in their garden, it didn't come out of my dog

everyones happy

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

as i have said, i have one, it's absolutely brilliant.

my neighbours also know that when dog ****e appears in their garden, it didn't come out of my dog

everyones happy

everyone but the dog?

• Advertisement

They arent safe. People who actually use these, have stated in this thread how unreliable they are!
    The proof is there. More than one poster has said that their dogs have gone through the fence and ran out of the perimeter/garden, so NO, they arent safe.:mad: How can you not see that?

did they spend 4 weeks training the dog..?
    was the parameter sensor settings set correctly for the type of dog..(this is the distance that the dog hears his first beep tone warning not the level of the shock)..?
    was the dog trained or retrained within 6-8 weeks of escaping..?
    was the collar the right type and was the battery good.?

when you get a "NO" answer to any of these then the are not reliable or safe..these are all vital to the system working correctly.

have you ever seen one of these been set up correctly..?
    have you ever seen a dog been trained correctly..?
    have you ever seen a dog been retrained..?
    at the start of this thread you didn't even know what the sensor setting was post 11..???????

a poster asked a question which i answered from actual experience not hear say. i would never advise anyone on something that i know nothing about especially when it envolves people or animals.

Koppy do you really think that the average dog owner is going to do all that ?. These "fences" can potentially control a dog until something goes wrong & there are lots of things that can go wrong.

I really do know all about them. I have viewed systems installed by the manufacturers for demonstrations. I have sat in on meetings where no one spoke of an electric shock but called it "a correction". I have even seen an ultra lightweight unit that was designed for cats.

The problem is that it is not 100% reliable & there is the potential for injury. I do believe that it is a lazy solution. People like the idea of buying a box & instantly controlling their dog rather than fencing the garden.

They have just been banned in Wales & it looks like the rest of the UK will follow:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260363/Electric-collars-shock-pets-obedience-banned-Wales.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Discodog wrote: »

They have just been banned in Wales & it looks like the rest of the UK will follow:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260363/Electric-collars-shock-pets-obedience-banned-Wales.html

Did you even read that article, its about the banning of shock collars where the animal is shocked at the owners control, as a method of training. That is different to a shock fence.

Anyway, i dont recommend these collars as the average person installing them will not do it correctly. If set up properly and the dog is trained in its use, then they are an excellent tool, i have used one myself for the last year or so.
    But the majority of people wont bother their ass doing it correctly, its just a pity that a good device gets such a bad name because of lazy owners, not the devices fault. I'd be glad if they were only sold by vets and the vet done an inspection after a period of time, if the dog is getting shocks AT ALL, then the owner should be taken up for animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

always thought I wouldn't fancy that sort of thing for myself so wouldn't have thought it appropriate for an animal I wanted to call a pet and 'friend'

nasty is another succint explanation of my reflection - nasty and unwarranted

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Senna wrote: »
    Did you even read that article, its about the banning of shock collars where the animal is shocked at the owners control, as a method of training. That is different to a shock fence.

Anyway, i dont recommend these collars as the average person installing them will not do it correctly. If set up properly and the dog is trained in its use, then they are an excellent tool, i have used one myself for the last year or so.
    But the majority of people wont bother their ass doing it correctly, its just a pity that a good device gets such a bad name because of lazy owners, not the devices fault. I'd be glad if they were only sold by vets and the vet done an inspection after a period of time, if the dog is getting shocks AT ALL, then the owner should be taken up for animal cruelty.

that sounds like a good idea

Discodog wrote: »
    Koppy do you really think that the average dog owner is going to do all that ?. These "fences" can potentially control a dog until something goes wrong & there are lots of things that can go wrong.

I really do know all about them. I have viewed systems installed by the manufacturers for demonstrations. I have sat in on meetings where no one spoke of an electric shock but called it "a correction". I have even seen an ultra lightweight unit that was designed for cats.

The problem is that it is not 100% reliable & there is the potential for injury. I do believe that it is a lazy solution. People like the idea of buying a box & instantly controlling their dog rather than fencing the garden.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260363/Electric-collars-shock-pets-obedience-banned-Wales
    .html

completely different product...and i agree that this type of product you have highlighted should be banned..the product i am talking about when set up correctly the dog does not get shocked.

this sums up what i am trying to say...at least know what product you are against before been so vocal about it.

this product does work when set up properly with out hurting your dog.
    as it been a lazy option..4 weeks training a lazy way..tying him to a tree is a lazy way..!

agree totally. have to say if these were so bad you would imagine that vets wouldnt sell them..my vet invited me to his house to see his working when i was looking into buying it. but yes they are too many different types available and too many different places selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Might as well just lock this thread because it's going nowhere.........as far as I can see the people here who use them and use them humanely are being vilified for being cruel. That's completely out of order.

The people agaist them can only speak about youtube links and somebody they know............I've a good few stories to tell about people with fences and chains too ye know...............and I could fling cruelty labels at all people who use chains and fences too...........

Of course I read it & ALL shock collars are being banned. To quote:

"Elin Jones, Minister for Rural Affairs

I have today laid the Animal Welfare (Electronic Collars) (Wales) Regulations 2010 before the National Assembly for Wales. The Regulations ban the use of collars designed to administer an electric shock to dogs or cats. This will include antibark collars, those used in remote recall systems, invisible fencing systems and electric pull leads."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Might as well just lock this thread because it's going nowhere.........as far as I can see the people here who use them and use them humanely are being vilified for being cruel. That's completely out of order.

The people agaist them can only speak about youtube links and somebody they know............I've a good few stories to tell about people with fences and chains too ye know...............and I could fling cruelty labels at all people who use chains and fences too...........

You are right, it is going round in circles, the people that recommend them seem unable to see the posts from others that have used them, and are recommending against their use.

They won't work for certain breeds, huskies amongst them, their prey drive is too high and if they see something they want, no warning vibration or shock is going to stop them going.

Things can go wrong with them, including the battery simply going dead. I had a call from a family that had two sibes, used a radio fence, battery must have died, and so did the dogs. They went off out to explore and gt shot, the family won't ever use a radio fence again, and were building proper fencing when the rang me, to get another sibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

i have one on my irish setter on a 3/4 acre site, she broke through it once chasing a pheasant, but i would still say it's the best money i have spent.

Im sure you wouldnt have said it was the best money you ever spent if your dog had been killed chasing said pheasant :rolleyes: How do you know it wont happen again? Im sure you would have been back to the shop you bought it from demanding your refund!

These have to be the worst contraptions for dogs ever invented in my opinion. Havent they been banned in Wales? Surely that says something? I live in the country with 2 big dogs and have no fencing whatsoever and they never move from the garden unless they are with us. When we are not there they are put into their huge run which they love as they sometimes will go into it to lie in the sun all by themselves :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Once an electric fence system is installed properly, maintained properly and the dog has been trained properly (and that's the really important bit !), these systems are not cruel. The dog will get a shock once and once only and that's it.

The issue with these fences are:
    They are not reliable
    They do not keep intruders out
    They can't be used without supervision (ie. you can't leave your dog alone in there all day)
    They (and their components) do need a fair bit of maintenance.

We used to have one of these fences once that has long since been replaced with a wire mesh fence.

The only useful application for the radio fence that I can see is where you have a dog that is normally contained inside or in a run and a large area out the back that you simply can't afford to fence properly. Using a radio fence there, when dog is let out the back to play and roam under supervision makes a lot of sense.

thats the way i feel about this thread..posted an honest opinion on them basd on 3 yrs expierence. some of the people against them on this thread reasons were..i dont like fences so i want to shock the dog.. if i upped the sensor it increased the shock..one even backed up their arguement with a face book page.absolute crap.

having siad that each to there own and these people against the fences that dont know what they fences are seem to genuinely care about animal rights and seem to have a good knowledge about cruelty etc. just some of their answer prove that they reallyy dont know much about these and have never seen these working correctly

my stance is and will be based on 3 yrs expierence is that "Once an electric fence system is installed properly, maintained properly and the dog has been trained properly (and that's the really important bit !), these systems are not cruel. The dog will get a shock once and once only and that's it.2 as peasant said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollyflops

having spent over 400e on pet fence for 2 dogs last month here is the things they dont mentrion
    1. its incredible difficult to set up ..time, energy, etc but not only that anything slighlty off ther basic shapes/loops htey give you in th ebook is mind booglying difficult to work out & set up & waste of wire......
    2. digging it everywhjere into ground is tough cos most people buying theses things are in huge areas/farmer lands where soil can be littered w/ rocks9im only have done a month later)
    3 boundary flags are great...ya sure... cant put half em up cos it runs accross gravel. ewhich makes training tougher.
    4, the biggest flaw ever and has cos t me about 800 e more.....yes 800 e...for kennels & training(by the way my dogs r so well trained they walk amolng roads off lead with me so im not those owners that r unable to train)
    the local farmers radio fence is plugged in to back of garage(where the wire runs alond so dogs have shelter , but their wire is not plugged in their)
    but it has distorted the signal coming from the wore near it.....that means i was testing it and nothing was happing but 15ft away from wiore i put collar on ground accidently & it was going off mad..so my dogs went into their beds, when they lay down it wouldnt stop buzzing/shocking them & they are now terrified of the garage. So ive had to buy 2 kennels to sort this out & get a trainer in to sort the dogs out who refuse to budge & shake from fear.....

i have no alternative to fence im on 3 acres & renting
    i am v distressed over entire incident of which half ive discribed
    there is nothing about this in manual etc
    only dont plug into one near another one plugged in
    nothing about wire running nea rit

from v upset & annoyed owner of 2 v distressed dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mollyflops

i would also like to add, that these dogs were trained in perfectly to fence & for two weeks no prob when i was at home. it was only when the weather got bad & they went into garage that the fear developed/incident occured & for 2 weeks i couldnt figure out what was going on cos it doenst actually distort till the collar is on the floor.
    Now dogs wont go anywhere cos all their training makes no sense if they are being randommly shocked in one area they now terrified of everywhere(understandably)

i agree with these fences
    what i wish i had been told is what has happened which has caused alot of distress.
    sorry for rant, v upset

I have three dogs. Two large, & one smaller but all three are normal, active healthy dogs. I have a small low walled garden that is not secure. I have kept dogs here for eight years & never had a problem.

The dogs get a 45 min off lead walk before I leave in the morning & the same in the evening. They only go into the garden, on extending leads, to pee once when I get home & once before bed.

I have not needed to buy kennels or fencing & my dogs are happy, content & always safe. I also have the wonderful pleasure of sharing my home time indoors with the dogs.

Advertisement