Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

job seekers allowance after 2 years away?

• 31-08-2010 4:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hello

My brother has been aboard for nearly 2 yrs now. He wants to return, he is struggling alot there, his prospects arn't good and he doesnt have much money etc. he had been working in london for about 2 months kitchen porter work was the only thing he could find there after being 3 months unemployed so he worked for about 5 months and saved up enought to go to australia from london but he was sick there and alot more hardship and struggles.
    It was hard to get a job, he found from some of his experience(not all) that some of the australians were abit racist to him because he is irish. My brother doesn't even drink so that in itself is untypical of an irish person ! Since hes been there he has had a few jobs in kitchens, it was part time but now he works 4 full days so he is getting by a wee bit better.

Hes been in australia for about 16 months now. Australia isnt great for some people. He wants to come back to ireland and im glad thats is no life the risk of homelessness and his health etc Im very worried though about whats going to happened to him here, how is he going to cope here now.

I don't know if he will be entitled to job seekers allowance ? if he can't get work right now the way how things are. He has a fas course from 4 yrs ago but not much work history at all only things like kitchens and factory work.

Does anyone know can he get some help while he looks for work? Has anyone been in this situation and circumstances ? I would appreciate your thoughts they would help alot and Thank you for sharing them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Try forum for State Benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey,

I've been working abroad for the last six months, I came home to Ireland and was told that I needed to work for a week here in Ireland again before claiming anything...i have enough credits etc, but they still required that week's work, I don't know why.

as for job seekers - if u've worked in the last couple of years ( I think they review 3/4years) and have paid PRSI then u can get the 'dole' for I think 9 months, after which u apply for allowance and they judge u on ur circumstances as to how much ur entitled to....if u haven't been working/haven't paid PRSI and don't have enough credits then u apply for the allowance - they review ur situation and decide if u're broke enough to get it...if ur bro is under 25 and livign at home they'll look at everyone's income in the house, what mortgages there are etc and declare all money that anyone has...if over 25 then they just review HIS money, and if he mentions any foreign bank account he'll need bank statements from the last couple months to check his money.

hope this helps, I'm not an official or anything so he might get a different answer when he goes to teh office himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Well im surprised i didn't get one reply. I tried to post in in jobs/unemployment forum thing last night but it wouldn't let me, thats why i posted it here.

guest2 wrote: »
    hey,

I've been working abroad for the last six months, I came home to Ireland and was told that I needed to work for a week here in Ireland again before claiming anything...i have enough credits etc, but they still required that week's work, I don't know why.

as for job seekers - if u've worked in the last couple of years ( I think they review 3/4years) and have paid PRSI then u can get the 'dole' for I think 9 months, after which u apply for allowance and they judge u on ur circumstances as to how much ur entitled to....if u haven't been working/haven't paid PRSI and don't have enough credits then u apply for the allowance - they review ur situation and decide if u're broke enough to get it...if ur bro is under 25 and livign at home they'll look at everyone's income in the house, what mortgages there are etc and declare all money that anyone has...if over 25 then they just review HIS money, and if he mentions any foreign bank account he'll need bank statements from the last couple months to check his money.

hope this helps, I'm not an official or anything so he might get a different answer when he goes to teh office himself.

Well thank you very much for reading my post and replying, the information is helpful.
    Well my brother is 30, I think when he comes here he'l rent, he wouldnt live at home unless he absolute has to for a while he has hardy any money so I could help him out for the time being. He is talking about taking up a college course so he would start of again so that would be good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Was he working 2 years ago cause thats what jobseekers benefit goes by. He could be in a perfect position to apply for the benefit if he was paying enough stamps this time 2 years ago.
    As for jobseekers allowance, im not sure about his entitlements there due to being away. He should defo look into the benefit though if he was working back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Not a PI - moved to state benefits, hope you get better advice here.

Ickle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marhar

Hi Guys, I am new here so bear with me. Does anyone know the answer to this. I am leaving Ireland for just over a year to go travelling. I have worked since I was 16 and I am now 23 so I have paid PRSI all that time. When I return to Ireland if I can find work straight away can I claim my stamps or will they just not count because I left the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

they look at what you did 2 years ago, not last year, not this year, , so the fact that your leaving the country means you must be back in 2 years, and yes you should get them if you are. So as long as your back within the next 2 years there shouldn't be a problem.
    Im not an expert , im just going from my own experiences but im fairly sure thats correct. Just to warn you though, if for example you left in early 2011, and came back in 2013 you may get caught out as you will not have paid enough prsi in 2011 f you get me.

EDIT: just re-read your thread, if your only going for a year you shouldnt have any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marhar

Thanks wylo really appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

wylo wrote: »
    they look at what you did 2 years ago, not last year, not this year, , so the fact that your leaving the country means you must be back in 2 years, and yes you should get them if you are. So as long as your back within the next 2 years there shouldn't be a problem.
    Im not an expert , im just going from my own experiences but im fairly sure thats correct. Just to warn you though, if for example you left in early 2011, and came back in 2013 you may get caught out as you will not have paid enough prsi in 2011 f you get me.

EDIT: just re-read your thread, if your only going for a year you shouldnt have any problem.

i left the country for 2 and a half years and when i cam back last year i had no problem claiming from my stamps

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for all the help and replies. Its very helpful.

Advertisement