Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bike to get

• 31-08-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭

Hi all thinking of going back out on the bike again to get back in shape.
    I have a trek racing bike but as the roads around me are not great I'm looking for something a bit more comfortable.
    Won't be doing anything too serious 20-30 k at a leisurely pace and was wondering what type of bike to get was thinking of a hybrid,but don't know what make to go for.budget is 500-800
    Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Just put some bigger tyres on the trek... can't see the point in buying a hyrbrid when you already have a road bike...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

mtbireland wrote: »
    Just put some bigger tyres on the trek... can't see the point in buying a hyrbrid when you already have a road bike...

+1
    28mm tyres if they will fit and raise the bars for a more upright position if required.

A drop bar road bike is more comfortable than a hybrid on a 20-30k spin imo.

Spend your money on a good pair of bibshorts and some winter gear I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

mtbireland wrote: »
    +2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Cheers for the good advice never even thought of that:o
    The reason I was thinking new bike was the bike to work scheme at work where an 800 euro bike will cost me less than 500 .
    But as yee point out new tyres and maybe a new saddle would be the better option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Cheers for the good advice never even thought of that:o
    The reason I was thinking new bike was the bike to work scheme at work where an 800 euro bike will cost me less than 500 .
    But as yee point out new tyres and maybe a new saddle would be the better option

well there is nothing stopping you from buying another bike for the hell of it, that excuse just wont fly with us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I wouldnt' agree though on raising the bars... when you sit more upright there is more pressure on your back... (having said that too low is not good either but the bars should never be higher than your saddle or even as high as the saddle...)

Yeah. You need at least two bikes anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

papac wrote: »
    Yeah. You need at least two bikes anyway.

fail n+1 is the number of bikes you need where n is the number you have now :D

fail n+1 is the number of bikes you need where n is the number you have now :D

I'll get my coat.:o

Advertisement