Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate engineer question

Options
  • 31-08-2010 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I'm a recent graduate (June '10) with a BEng (Hons) in mechanical engineering. As a recent graduate I have zero experience therefore I presumably have no chance of a skilled migration visa.

My college is not listed on the recognized overseas institues for the recognized graduate visa.

My questions are one; if I traveled to Oz on a working holiday visa what chance would I have as an inexperienced graduate to get a job in engineering?

Two; if I got a solid job within my working visa time what chances would I have at staying in Oz?

Any insight provided would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

There is a shortage of engineers over here, no one can deny that but the lack of experience might be a problem.

I managed to get a job with about 1.5 years experience but that involved moving to perth where there seems to be a lot more work. I had no hope of getting an office job in sydney with my level of experience and on my WHV.

in short, i think you might have a decent chance to get in the door somewhere if you apply when they are busy and short of people. from talking to people it looks like january is when things will really kick off again.

To get sponsored by a company you need to work for a company that is willing to and able to sponsor you and then you have to be able to demonstrate to the immingration folks that you have the skills and experience to do the job. i dont know if 6 months experience would do for the experience.

hope that helps, im sure once everyone else wakes up they'll give you some more specific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Study time counts towards experience for 457 visa. You could be lucky and pick up sponsorship while working on a WHV. If one year is not long enough to give you the necessary experience then you could take a 3 month break for some outback work to get your second WHV and build up a few more months of experience. I think the requirement for 457 is 5 years experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A friend of mine is an engineer here in Sydney. He is on a student visa and although have had a few interviews he hasn't got a job yet. Bare in mind he has 5+ years exp.

Someone with 0 expereince on a WHV is going to find it tough to get work in their field. Not impossible mind say in places like WA BUT you need to be resourceful and lucky. Best go to the UK first for a year or two exp under your belt then get your WHV if you are serious about this. Remember you only get one WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I''m an Engineer, employer never even asked to see degree or any qualifications. Just asked about experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

do you care what industry you get into? the mech services industry seems to be doing fairly well in melb but experience gained there will be of little use at home as the market is totally saturated with services engineers with plenty of experience.

if you are willing to compromise on location i.e. work in regional locations outside of the main cities you will greatly improve your chances of getting engineering work and employers willing to sponsor.

my advice, use what ever time you have between now and leaving ireland to get some experience even if you are doing some CAD work for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I''m an Engineer, employer never even asked to see degree or any qualifications. Just asked about experience.
    I think that's pretty much common to all professions unless you're applying somewhere anal like Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

get onto seek.com.au and check out the market, I reckon the chances of getting work in WA are pretty high as the skills shortage seems to be most acute over there, QLD seems to be quieting down a little, but there is plenty of mining activity so don't rule it out. As for Sydney and Melbourne, its tough competition there so experience will probably swing the job either way. I've got a good few friends ho came out here with less than 18 months experience and got work easily enough in civil/structural and Building services. WA is probably your best bet. but tbh there is no reason why a company wouldn't be happy enough to give you 6 months work as a trial and then put you on a 457 if you are working out okay, and if they aren't happy after 6 months let you go find another company, either way then you pass the criteria for a 457 (counting your study time as experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Pope John 11

Any structural engineers out there with some further advice

Advertisement