Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto Sales Agents

• 31-08-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just wondering does the shop that sold the winning ticket get any money ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah they get a few bob and some POS to stick in the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭joekeville

I wonder is it a percentage or or a fixed sum ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lotto Jackpot means 10k to the shop I believe

But that's not tax free so it goes on the accounts as income

really is that all 10 k ?
    I thought it would be something like 2 or 3 % of the jackpot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

While you're on it, do those scanning machines for the tickets ALWAYS work? You know the ones you scan yourself?

I'm always so paranoid that they're not telling me something :D

• Advertisement

Yea they do work they do the same job as the ones behind the counter lol.
    But back on track its a disgrace that the shop only gets such a small amount if they sell a huge jackpot!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

It's fifteen thousand to the agent for a winning jackpot, afaik it used to be either one or two percent of the jackpot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, maybe I was thinking of 10,000 punts so 15,000 euro might be the rate nowadays

But it's definitely not tax free for the shop, has to go through the accounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

joekeville wrote: »
    But back on track its a disgrace that the shop only gets such a small amount if they sell a huge jackpot!

Why is it a disgrace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Its not like the shop had any say in who won so its a disgrace that they get anything at all! They surely get a slight margin on each ticket sold anyway.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why is it a disgrace?

For selling such a big jackpot say 10 million all the shop gets 15 k less than 0.5 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For selling such a big jackpot say 10 million all the shop gets 15 k less than 0.5 %

They don't go to any more trouble selling a winning ticket as opposed to a losing one. I think 15 grand is generous enough, and maybe the winner would throw them a few bob. Then there's all the free advertising that comes with it and an opportunity to sell your story to the media

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

really is that all 10 k ?
    I thought it would be something like 2 or 3 % of the jackpot ?

You'll be shocked how little they get from the sales itself... The idea is, that if someone coming in to do the lotto, may also buy a newspaper / magazine / milk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yeah maybe if the shop assistant picks half of every customers numbers or something! Why is it a disgrace? Sure isn't it like a mini-win for the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wait, shops get paid for selling a jackpot ticket?

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

They won't give you a rebate if your ticket loses.

They shouldn't get a bonus if you win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

phasers wrote: »

why?

The same reason tobacconists get paid when a customer dies from a smoking-related illness. The Lotto is pure evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

The same reason tobacconists get paid when a customer dies from a smoking-related illness.

Not doubting you here, but can you explain this please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'm surprised they get anything. It's pure chance for feck sake. People pay for their ticket, why should the shop get anything?

Also, the lotto is an idiot tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

phasers wrote: »

why?

To encourage them to sell more winning tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

areu4real? wrote: »
    Not doubting you here, but can you explain this please...

Every time a smoker dies Philip Morris sends a cheque for 5,000 dollars to the shop that sold them that lucky final smoke.

I thought everyone knew that? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

bleg wrote: »
    Also, the lotto is an idiot tax.
    a

Advertisement