Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Co wont send me Copy of T&C's

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:09pm

Hope this is right forum.

Looking for some help. My Mam died a few weeks ago. I have found an insurance policy, but cannot find the terms and conditions. So we rang the Insurance Company explained situation, and instead they sent me out claim form. So I wrote to their head office, and still havent recieved anything. Any advice on what I can do?
    Would it help if I complained to the FInancial regulator?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Did they actively refuse to send them out to you or "they're in the post"?
    Why do you need them?

PS. Sorry for your loss.

Edit : What I WOULD do. Ring them and talk to them. A lot can be lost in a letter. If that fails, write to them but send it as registered post detailing exactley what you require. Make it short and to the point. Include the insurance ref number. They can't ignore that as you have proof of delivery and they will know that.

RangeR wrote: »
    Did they actively refuse to send them out to you or "they're in the post"?
    Why do you need them?

PS. Sorry for your loss.

Edit : What I WOULD do. Ring them and talk to them. A lot can be lost in a letter. If that fails, write to them but send it as registered post detailing exactley what you require. Make it short and to the point. Include the insurance ref number. They can't ignore that as you have proof of delivery and they will know that.

I need them because I want to look at them. It is an Accidental Death Policy, so the terms and conditions are important to me.
    I have rang them threee times, and each time the Rep is talking like a robot, really really fast, like reading small print on a tv ad :)
    They just havent bothered sending them I think They havent refused, but havent done it either.
    Good idea regarding Registered post. I will do that. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you still don't get the T&Cs after requesting in writing, you can contact the IIF about it.

jor el wrote: »
    If you still don't get the T&Cs after requesting in writing, you can contact the IIF about it.

Brilliant, thats what I need. Cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Get someone to call their sales department about a new policy, say you want to see their terms and conditions before you buy.....bet they'll send it quick smart if they think they'll get a sale out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Get someone to call their sales department about a new policy, say you want to see their terms and conditions before you buy.....bet they'll send it quick smart if they think they'll get a sale out of it!

T's & C's can change over time. Need to see what was originally agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am sorry about your mam.

I am surprised they have not sent it out to you. The T&C's on Acc Death pols are pretty clear - you're mams death will either fall into the category (be covered) or not.

Send email to their claims dept and follow up with call two days later.

Check their website - the brochures/T&C's tend to be up on the claim section.

Why not go ahead and complete the claim form in the meantime? Get the ball rolling and you will find out if your mam's death is covered or not by doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

In a claim situation its often easier for a claim form to be completed and let the claims team decide if its a valid claim or not. T+C's can be very complicated and they may have their own definition re certain situations etc which may be lost in black and white terms, its still stange they WOULD NOT send them out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

OP, I don't mean to be blunt here under your difficult personal circumstances but I feel you are looking for facts on how to deal with the practicalities of your situation.

Are you the person legally entitled to discuss the financial matters of your mother or is it one of your siblings?. If you are the person entitled to deal with the financial institution, do not get off the phone until you are assured by the person on the other end of the line that they will provide you with whatever you ask for. If you get no joy, contact the Irish Insurance Federation and they will cut to the chase for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I concur with what amdublin has said. I may have a copy of them in the office let me know the name of ins. company and the date that policy was taken out and the name of the policy if possible.

oldyouth wrote: »
    OP, I don't mean to be blunt here under your difficult personal circumstances but I feel you are looking for facts on how to deal with the practicalities of your situation.

Are you the person legally entitled to discuss the financial matters of your mother or is it one of your siblings?. If you are the person entitled to deal with the financial institution, do not get off the phone until you are assured by the person on the other end of the line that they will provide you with whatever you ask for. If you get no joy, contact the Irish Insurance Federation and they will cut to the chase for you

I am my mothers only child. I am her next of kin. As of today I still have not recieved the T&C's. So Im just going to pass it on to IIF now. Thanks for all the help.I also contacted the Ombudsman.

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I really had no idea what to do.

Advertisement