Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about UPC Broadband

• 31-08-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there

I was wondering how long it would take for UPC to activate broadband from date of signup? Is is instant?

I was looking at the Fibre Power Broadband 5Mb. Seems fairly decent for the price. I think 40GB monthly cap is fair. However I was wondering what the charges were for going over the limit?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It won't be activated instantly, and you'll have to wait for the modem anyway.

UPC don't charge for going over your cap, but they will bump you up to the next appropriate category for repeated offence, for which you will pay of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Not certain if its always the case, but when I signed up with them they had an engineer out to me within 2 days. I'd imagine it varies by region but generally they seem pretty quick so I'd think you would be online within a week at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

3 to 4 working days for bb. except university areas in september when the installs can go out to a week due to high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Hi

I didn't know they have to come out to install it? Surely all I need is a router and cable to connect to the UPC box/socket?

I already have the UPC box/socket in my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

I signed up today and theyre coming out next Monday to install it. So thats approx 4 working days.

They need to make sure you have cable points in your house and then they will set up the router for you and make sure everything is working properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is now a self install option, but it may not be available to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

It's not costing me anything to have it installed. I was told he'd set everything up for me and make sure it's all hunky dory !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

self install options are only available to active accounts, the cable to your home has to be activated at the external tap.

Advertisement