Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of bitter cooking apples, any ideas?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a load of cooking apples that I need to use up, the only trouble is they are very bitter, very. Is there any hope for them or should I just make a million apple and cinnamon cupcakes? They're not too bad because there's only teeny bits of apple in them.

If anyone had any recipe ideas that are good for particularly bitter ones...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

cook them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Well yeah I wasn't gonna eat them uncooked. Was kinda looking for recipe ideas?

They're just too bitter to put into a tart or anything, this bitter taste hangs around in the background when they are in slices or big chunks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Barname, this isn't After Hours. If you don't have useful recipe suggestions, then don't bother posting. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spadina, cooking apples usually are very sour. I think you should stew them - peel and slice them and bring to the boil in a large pot with a very small amount of water. Turn the heat down and simmer for around 10-20 minutes until they go to pulp. Sweeten with lots of sugar until it tastes right to you (not too sweet though). Then you can freeze it in lots, and use it as apple sauce for pork or as filling for apple tarts and crumbles.
    You can add cinnamon when you're making the tarts or crumbles if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ok thanks, but I have used cooking apples before, I *know* they are normally sour, what I was saying was that these ones are incredibly bitter, too bitter to eat in something like tarts or crumbles, not without adding a ridiculous amount of sugar which defeats the purpose really as I might as well buy a horribly unhealthy pre-made tart if thats what I wanted.

I think apple sauce might be the only option, and it'd still be very bitter, thanks for the first non smartarse reply anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spadina wrote: »
    Ok thanks, but I have used cooking apples before,

Sorry about that, it's hard to know whether someone's used to cooking or not. In my opinion, if they're that sour then I wouldn't waste time and energy cooking them at all - as you said they'd just require too much sugar in order to make them edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Spadina wrote: »
    Ok thanks, but I have used cooking apples before, I *know* they are normally sour, what I was saying was that these ones are incredibly bitter, too bitter to eat in something like tarts or crumbles, not without adding a ridiculous amount of sugar which defeats the purpose really as I might as well buy a horribly unhealthy pre-made tart if thats what I wanted.

I think apple sauce might be the only option, and it'd still be very bitter, thanks for the first non smartarse reply anyway!
    Are they Crab apples? they can be awful sour and leave your mouth really dry - i'm getting goosebumps thinking about them!

You can make jelly and wine from those afaik.

schnapps!! http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/crabapple.html
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/555709
    http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/apple-chutney-recipe-110

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

They sound like crab apples to me. As was said above the easiest thing to do with them is make crab apple jelly. My aunt makes a lovely one although you would swear from her that the recipe is a state secret.

• Advertisement
Advertisement