Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a desktop, looking for input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

well, can't point you exactly which of these is the best for you (too lazy to check all specs :) )...but have a little advice :)
    for photo and video editing most important things are
    1. memory, more=better (min 4gb for win7, for video and photo 6gb...at least)
    2. cpu faster=better (more than 2 cores, eg. i7)
    3. biiig hdd :)
    4. graphics (video) card with hardware video decoding/processing support (eg, Ati )

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

if you adverse to the idea of building it could geta much better for the pc, if you decide to go that route jump overto the buildng and upgradng forum just state your budget and what you intend to use the desktop for,

the best reasons are to build your own better bang for buck and you will be able to custimoise it your needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Same suggestion came up on another forum, but I'm not tech savvy enough to have the confidence to build. From the looks of things the Acer from Argos seems the most promising though, as it's a Quad Core with 4GB ram:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5083730/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice,+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7Ccat_14418968%7CComputers+and+monitors%7C14419111.htm

Just need to verify that it's a 64 bit system :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Video is basically the most intensive thing an average user will do.

I'd look for:
    i5 or PhenonX4 if stuck for cash. --> EDIT: Scratch the Phenon, Adobe and AMD dont get along. That means the one you linked is best avoided too.
    6GB DDR3
    Mid range GPU unless you'er using CUDA(somebody else can advise there)
    Two large-ish HDDs rather than one really big one(Read one write another is fastest when the CPU isnt choking you down)
    RAID is good too

RE: i7, is the threading supported by CS5? If no then there's no real point in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Video is basically the most intensive thing an average user will do.

I'd look for:
    i5 or PhenonX4 if stuck for cash. --> EDIT: Scratch the Phenon, Adobe and AMD dont get along. That means the one you linked is best avoided too.
    6GB DDR3
    Mid range GPU unless you'er using CUDA(somebody else can advise there)
    Two large-ish HDDs rather than one really big one(Read one write another is fastest when the CPU isnt choking you down)
    RAID is good too

RE: i7, is the threading supported by CS5? If no then there's no real point in one.
    Thanks for the input, I'll look into the AMD/Adobe issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement