Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any point in upgrading from my 400D ??

• 31-08-2010 5:46pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I love my little 400D. I really do. Its the dogs doodads. I slap a nifty fifty on it and roberts my relative.

But it does produce some noise at high rez or low light. I havent exceeded the feature set on it (not even close, I still sometimes run for the safety of Auto Everything :)) but I've been getting an (irrational?) desire to upgrade it as its gettin' kinda sad and old now ... like me :(:)

But I dont know if there is any point? Its 6MP but I still end up reducing the images as it is because almost all of my stuff goes on the web and wouldnt 6MP be ok for print anyway?? (I am thinking of getting some shots printed soon).

Would the noise issue go away or is that a lens thing?

Whats the cheapest Canon which does video (something I would consider a plus)? Is the video any good?

I dont know if there is any point in upgrading or if its just Gear Acquisition Syndrome kicking in :)

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It depends on what you think a new piece of gear will bring you. The 400D generates files of a higher resolution than you'll likely need (I believe it actually has a 10 megapixel sensor).

A newer/larger sensor will likely produce images with a better signal/noise ratio than the 400D, but not noiseless. I'd say your results are more dependent on how you use the camera rather than the camera used. If you're shooting in manual and feel you're milking every last drop of noise control from the sensor and in post-processing then upgrading may be worth examining but otherwise I'd concentrate on bettering your exposure technique.

I believe the cheapest Canon DSLR that records video is the 500D, although it does so at weird framerates; if you want to use a DSLR as a video camera, you should probably spring for at least the 550D. Bear in mind, though, that you're unlikely to be able to just hit a button and capture good-looking video holding the camera in your hands and using a 50mm. A lot of the skills from still photography are portable to cinematography, but it's an order of magnitude more complex in many ways, and DSLRs make far better stills cameras than video cameras.

I'm not saying that nobody should ever upgrade, just that people should be realistic in what they think an upgrade will do for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Having pretty much not used my first dSLR for a long time, I have in recent times picked it up and gone dual shooting with a newer purchase, and leaving the newer one at home while I took my first purchase as my solo camera. I will now admit, that all the major flaws of the first dSLR that I perceived were with the user :o Yeah, I'm now going, "Jebes, but that was actually a mighty fine camera to work with" and "why couldn't I get it to do that before". :confused:

I think I probably now understand a little more than before. Do I need the current camera? Well, it is very nice, and in all fairness streets ahead technically, and yes it performs better, but I'm now subscribing to the notion that it is more whats behind the viewfinder that is the problem if the camera doesn't produce a shot as I want it. The concepts haven't changed. Your understanding of ISO, Aperture, shutter speed, light and depth of field will probably take you 90% along the journey - the other 10% is gear. Funnily enough, that 10% is the financial costly part.

I don't know about the mechanics of canon's so someone else can advise as to model improvements. 6MP uncropped can bring you up to poster sizes 30"x20" so 6MP is fine for most applications. But you may enjoy the ability to crop some of your 14mp or 20mp and still have the liberty printing large.

I think though the little voice in your head won't go away, so if its a financially sound option for you then upgrade - i mean don't sell your granny to upgrade, but otherwise if all ducks line up in a row, then do it - but keep the 400d carefully packed and take it out in about 12 months time having bought a newer model and see if you think the same as me about my first dSLR.

It is all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I have one too :D

the only thing i can see wrong with the 400d is its performance at high iso the max is 1600 and it is pretty bad. if you are doing anything in low light it can take an age to focus. the only reason to upgrade really is you might have a hankering to spend lots of cash on electrical goods.

may i suggest a sigma f1.4 30mm
    or an f1.8 80mm

or a sigma 100-500m and get great pics of birds and wildllfe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As said above, you already have a 10MP Sensor in the 400D (you now have a cerebral upgrade from this thread!) and so it has more than enough resolution for printing.

Later models with cropped sensors do handle noise a bit better, but to really get much better results you will have to upgrade to a Nikon full frame sensor. This would be a step up to the 5DII (which has Video I believe) Your beloved 50mm will be a nice Normal Lens on full frame but you will probably want some more glass to go with it.

[Dirty Harry]So .... are you feeling lucky punk?[/Dirty Harry]

I am having FFD (Full Frame Desires) myself lately & am having some very depraved dreams involving a D700. :eek:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sooooooooo...... I had decided to stick with the 400D and brush up on all the tricky stuff people were talking about above (particularly the back button focusing, which I had a good play with).

I was all good and I resisted the urge to splurge.

Then I got burgled. And they nicked my beloved 400D. And worse still, my 50mm. But happy days, it was insured and so with a bit of extra lolly added.... please well my new 550D with HD video :)

So, now I get new gear AND I dont have guilt! :)

Had to buy a 50mm immediately too, obv! :)
    I'll post a few pics in due course!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: Body without kit lens (which the muppets left behind while stealing my 50mm), a 4gb card and a 50MM came to 619 euro. pretty sweet deal but I *am* in a duty free principality in Italy.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Have you noticed any major improvements over the old 400D? You'll answer your own original question by playing around with it for a while :) Nice result after being robbed! I wonder if I left mine at the front door overnight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Can you scout out a second hand 5D with a 50mm?

I think you'd like full frame... A lot.

OFFS Fajitas?! NOW you tell me?!? lol...

I'll be able to tell you tomorrow when I have shot some things (more then the furniture in the hotel room!).

So far my observations are:

1. It feels lighter somehow.... how weird is that... is it actually lighter or am I mad?

2. The screen for review is sexy sharp. Very high def and better at spotting niggling camera shake without doing the Zoom In trick to see if you managed to get the shot without shake.

The video option is a bit phoooarr too... I'll certainly be making use of that :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    OFFS Fajitas?! NOW you tell me?!? lol...

Whoops... Didn't know you'd purchased and all!

Oh well, you've got a newer, shinier camera, packed with loads of features. It's still a fantastic camera - Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Can you scout out a second hand 5D with a 50mm?

I think you'd like full frame... A lot.
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    Whoops... Didn't know you'd purchased and all!

Oh well, you've got a newer, shinier camera, packed with loads of features. It's still a fantastic camera - Enjoy!

I was gonna say the exact same thing earlier...scrolled down, re-read and went "Hmm...this will probably piss off Dev....better not" :D

I'm used to stepping in it. In fact, DeVore is used to me stepping in it. It's all good.

:pac:

tbh I thought about it but I'm still the weak link in the chain and the 550D is a huge step up from the 400D so i thought it would be more than enough.

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Ohhhh Shiny new toys ..... Big Grins all round.

As much as the advice to not upgrade is sensible and responsible there is a lot of pleasure in playing with a new piece of kit. Though I would miss my old one if it were stolen as i get sentimental about these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

sorry to hear about the burgling dev, but I hope you enjoy the new gear. I just gas'd on a new body too. the irrational desire for something new is awful isn't it?

No... its wonderful!! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I did the same as you DeVore, upgraded from 400d to 550d and using a 50mm lens most of the time. also got burgled but thankfully they missed my camera bag.

some great things about it is the sensor alows for more cropping to be done whithout losing detail. I also now stick the ISO on auto a lot more if im out whereas before i would not put it abouve 100 and carry a bulky external flash.

great little camera but will also keep a place for the 400d

Advertisement