Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people's attitude towards dogs...

Options
  • 31-08-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Why do many Irish people have such an odd attitude towards dogs? My dog is quite a social animal and I like to take her with me occasionally when going out for a coffee etc. She is about the same size as a large King Charles spaniel (she's a Japanese Spitz), very well groomed, quiet, very well behaved and with a really lovely temperament. However, I've lost count of the amount of times that I've been asked to move from seating areas outside cafes because dogs weren't allowed outside. It still surprises me, because when I was visiting or living in other European cities (London, Paris, Vienna) dogs were not only welcomed in cafes, sometimes indoors as well as outdoors, but also on public transport, and were an accepted part of daily life. Why do many Irish people have such a hostile view towards dogs being involved in more social activities?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I don't think it is only an Irish thing. I have recently moved back to Ireland from the UK and so far I have to say that the Irish attitude towards dogs is a lot more tolerant than the UK one. People are a lot more willing to come and say hi to my guys and when my big one grumbles (which he does occasionally) the reaction over here is to say "aah sure dogs will be dogs" in the UK the reaction was to run as far as they could the other way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe it is more due to the typical Irish attitude of the dog owner themselves? Irish dog owners on the whole do not clean up after their dogs. When walking, they do not keep bags to clean up poo so as a result, the attitude of a café is to not want a dog anywhere near their premises as they will be the ones (usually) that would have to deal with the mess.

Of course there are exceptions but I am not sure I have ever witnessed a dog walker clean up after their dog. At least not in Ireland but I have in the US where laws tend to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The same reason the have a similar attitude to foreign workers, different cultures, change, anyone who has a different opinion to themselves . . . an intolerance which stems from ignorance and refusal to research the facts into anything. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BAv

There are a handful of cafes around Dublin that are perfectly fine with dogs sitting outside. Most of their owners will usually (unasked) bring her a dish of water and, for some reason, some cake (which I have to politely refuse). But I noticed that the managers of every one of the cafes were either Italian or French. Also, major department stores in other countries allow dogs in certain parts of their shop, I've seen dogs quite happily trotting around Harrods, or Galeries Lafayette in Paris. I doubt Brown Thomas would be as accommodating. I perfectly understand that places should have a right to turn away dogs, there are many valid reasons to do so, but a blanket ban for public transport and so many public places just seems a bit excessive. Also, I always make a point of carrying a bag to clean up after my dog, particularly in busy areas, it's just really inconsiderate not to. (I should probably add that I'm actually Irish, this is something that's been bugging me for years :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BAv

I don't think it is only an Irish thing. I have recently moved back to Ireland from the UK and so far I have to say that the Irish attitude towards dogs is a lot more tolerant than the UK one. People are a lot more willing to come and say hi to my guys and when my big one grumbles (which he does occasionally) the reaction over here is to say "aah sure dogs will be dogs" in the UK the reaction was to run as far as they could the other way :)

I know, people are generally really friendly towards her, I can count the number of negative reactions on one hand. I suppose that makes the lack of presence of dogs even stranger. Irish people tend to like dogs a lot, but never bring them anywhere other than the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I can only speak for Germany, as that's where I'm from, and I have to say that the dogs here were quite a culture shock when I first arrived.

Yes, you do get dogs sitting under the tables outside cafes, but they will always, ALWAYS be on a leash.
    The amount of dog running around in this country that seem to have no owner at all it frankly astounding. As is the amount of tolerance required of non-dog-owners, and people with dog-phobias, when it comes to dog turds being left behind, or strangers being tackled by unsupervised dogs.

With regards to that background, I can sort of understand why some people would be grateful for any dog-free zone they can find.

Advertisement