Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Dysplasia (DDH)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

January wrote: »
    Saoirse had her xray today, nearly flipped herself off the table... had to get a nurse to help us hold her down!

Should have results next week

Hope all will be ok. I have my fingers crossed x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Saoirse had her xray today, nearly flipped herself off the table... had to get a nurse to help us hold her down!

Should have results next week

Why does it take a week to get results of an x-ray?

I am one PROUD Mammy!!! At the age of 16 months and 2 weeks my lil lady stood up for the first time ever yesterday. She even thought she was brilliant herself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Why does it take a week to get results of an x-ray?

Referral by GP so they are sending the results back to the GP... I might ring today and see if they have them... I'm one impatient mammy...

I seen the picture of your Saoirse standing up on Facebook lolli :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

lolli wrote: »
    I am one PROUD Mammy!!! At the age of 16 months and 2 weeks my lil lady stood up for the first time ever yesterday. She even thought she was brilliant herself :D

Ahhh how cute... delighted for you all!! Must have been such a lovely sight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Loonie

Referral by GP so they are sending the results back to the GP... I might ring today and see if they have them... I'm one impatient mammy...

I seen the picture of your Saoirse standing up on Facebook lolli :D

Temple Street computerizes their xrays, so they should be able to get them pretty quick. When we get sent for xray from outpatients they have the results available immediately.

Loonie wrote: »
    Temple Street computerizes their xrays, so they should be able to get them pretty quick. When we get sent for xray from outpatients they have the results available immediately.

Yeah the girl who done the x ray was nearly sending it to the out patients clinic until I had to remind her it was the GP who referred me! I rang this morning and they don't have them yet, she said to ring back on Friday afternoon.

Both of Saoirse's hips are ok :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Fantastic news:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Both of Saoirse's hips are ok :)

Great stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We went to a solicitor the other day regarding Caoimhe.

He couldnt believe the amount of neglect shown towards her. She was checked 5 times before it was discovered and all those checks were "satisfactory". In her medical history book there are 2 checkups were she wasnt even checked for DDH, one of them is marked as being not done because of "Equal Creases".

We definitely have a case against the HSE for the ridiculous treatment she received. It could take 2-3 years to get a result but we will be fighting every day. The main thing i would like from this is for Ireland as a whole to change the ridiculous out-dated method they have for testing for DDH. In Europe it is as simple as injecting a dye into the hip and then doing an ultrasound, 5-10 minutes when the child is a few weeks old and you would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Everything seems to happen all at once in our house!

Because the PHN saw problems with Aisling's creases at her 4 month check I brought her to the GP for a referral to a consultant to get checked out because I was concerned that the PHN system might cause unneccessary delays and we have private insurance so i thought i'd speed things up!

In the meantime we saw the PHN with Aisling about 6 weeks ago and she gave us a referral to the hospital for an x-ray but Ennis General said it could be July/August before she'd be seen

Yesterday we got the appointment letter for the consultant (June 9th in Croom)
    So I went to Ennis General and asked if we could get the x-ray done before then so that I could bring it to Croom with me for the orthopaedic appointment

To cut a long story short she is being x-rayed @ 3.30 this afternoon and I'm in bits

Will the radiologist be able to tell us anything or will we have to wait til June 9th to get an answer
    OR can i bring the xray (they are giving it to me to bring to croom) can i take it to my GP for a look?

The not knowing is KILLING ME! :(

Hope everything went well for ye today. We got told the xray results 10 minutes after xray but I know theres a wait in some places.

Best of luck.

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Everything seems to happen all at once in our house!

Because the PHN saw problems with Aisling's creases at her 4 month check I brought her to the GP for a referral to a consultant to get checked out because I was concerned that the PHN system might cause unneccessary delays and we have private insurance so i thought i'd speed things up!

In the meantime we saw the PHN with Aisling about 6 weeks ago and she gave us a referral to the hospital for an x-ray but Ennis General said it could be July/August before she'd be seen

Yesterday we got the appointment letter for the consultant (June 9th in Croom)
    So I went to Ennis General and asked if we could get the x-ray done before then so that I could bring it to Croom with me for the orthopaedic appointment

To cut a long story short she is being x-rayed @ 3.30 this afternoon and I'm in bits

Will the radiologist be able to tell us anything or will we have to wait til June 9th to get an answer
    OR can i bring the xray (they are giving it to me to bring to croom) can i take it to my GP for a look?

The not knowing is KILLING ME! :(

Best of luck with it.

I had strep B which was missed and my daughter developed meningitis at 3 weeks old. And you know the story about her hip.

Sometimes these things arent picked up. Strep B is checked is the likes of Germany but not here. It could save babies lives if there was testing.

DDH sometimes isnt always present at birth and it can be hard to detect.

Melion wrote: »

He couldnt believe the amount of neglect shown towards her. She was checked 5 times before it was discovered and all those checks were "satisfactory". In her medical history book there are 2 checkups were she wasnt even checked for DDH, one of them is marked as being not done because of "Equal Creases".

We definitely have a case against the HSE for the ridiculous treatment she received. It could take 2-3 years to get a result but we will be fighting every day. The main thing i would like from this is for Ireland as a whole to change the ridiculous out-dated method they have for testing for DDH. In Europe it is as simple as injecting a dye into the hip and then doing an ultrasound, 5-10 minutes when the child is a few weeks old and you would know.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hello all, I have been following this thread for sometime our daugther Megan was diagnosed with DDH of the left hip at her 4 month check up in the Rotunda

From this she went straight into the Pavlik harness for 6 weeks, unfortunately it did not do the job, from there she had a closed reduction and went into the Spica cast.

The spica cast was awkward at first but the day after the op there was Megan in her cot smiling away so if she could deal with it so could we.

Upon going back to get the cast change which is an ordeal in itself, with the whole fasting etc... and Megan wondering why I am waking her in middle of the night to give her a bottle, jeebus the cries of hunger :(, anyways the doctors called us up to the operating theatre where they told us that the Spica cast was not working for Megan and that the hip socket is developed but the ball of the femur keeps slipping out of the socket.

We were heartbroken to hear this but here we are, waiting on a call today from Temple Street to see if they have a bed for Megan to go in and have an open reduction possibly with a Femoral Osteotomy (a procedure involving plates and pins :( )

I would just to take the time to thank the parents who have posted their experiences on this thread, as it has given my wife and myself at least an idea of what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

No bed today for her :(

No bed today for her :(

Thank you for sharing your story.

I'm really sorry that Megan didnt get a bed today. Hopefully there will be one tomorrow.

It really does help to talk to other people who are in the same situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Loonie

Melion, would you mind sharing what hospital your daughter was born at? My daughter's DDH was missed at her pediatrician checks in Holles Street, and I'd be curious to know if you were there as well. Your post has made me wonder should I request a copy of her file. I was told my daughter was ultrasounded in her first week and was fine (she spent 2 weeks in ICU/SCBU, so we didn't see a lot of what happened).

jimbob_jones, good luck with the open reduction. From what I've heard the open reduction is more painful, but otherwise not that different from the closed reduction from your point of view - back into spica and another 18 weeks in the plaster. I'm not sure about the osteotomy. We had a closed reduction done 9 weeks ago, and are coming up on the last cast change soon. Thankfully her hip has stayed in place!

Loonie wrote: »
    Melion, would you mind sharing what hospital your daughter was born at? My daughter's DDH was missed at her pediatrician checks in Holles Street, and I'd be curious to know if you were there as well. Your post has made me wonder should I request a copy of her file. I was told my daughter was ultrasounded in her first week and was fine (she spent 2 weeks in ICU/SCBU, so we didn't see a lot of what happened).

We are in Limerick so she was born in the Midwest Regional

We are in Limerick so she was born in the Midwest Regional

Aisling was born there too

It appears from the x-ray that one leg is shorter than the other by a few millimetres :(

Seeing the consultant on Thursday

Any idea what we might be looking at in terms of treatment?

(not looking for medical advice as we are seeing the pros but am trying to prepare myself for the worst possible scenario so if anyone has a worse case scenario for me....... )

• Advertisement

Aisling was born there too

It appears from the x-ray that one leg is shorter than the other by a few millimetres :(

Seeing the consultant on Thursday

Any idea what we might be looking at in terms of treatment?

(not looking for medical advice as we are seeing the pros but am trying to prepare myself for the worst possible scenario so if anyone has a worse case scenario for me....... )

Are you seeing Dr. Stack?

Are you seeing Dr. Stack?

No, Dr. Burke
    I have been appraised of Dr. Stack's reputation... If u get my drift!

No, Dr. Burke
    I have been appraised of Dr. Stack's reputation... If u get my drift!

You couldnt have got a better doctor IMO. We are in with him for an operation on Wednesday and will have to stay overnight. He really is excellent, explains everything very well, a really nice man aswell.
    If you want to know anything feel free to PM me and i can try help as best i can.

You couldnt have got a better doctor IMO. We are in with him for an operation on Wednesday and will have to stay overnight. He really is excellent, explains everything very well, a really nice man aswell.
    If you want to know anything feel free to PM me and i can try help as best i can.

Thats good to know, thanks!

I'm going demented trying to figure out via google what the normal treatment is for a situation where one hip (the left) is slightly higher than the right and therefore the left leg is milimetres shorter than the right :(

I cant imagine a Spica will be necessary anyway

Caoimhe is in for her open reduction tomorrow. I have very little clue of what to expect, ive had a look online which didnt really help :(

Caoimhe is in for her open reduction tomorrow. I have very little clue of what to expect, ive had a look online which didnt really help :(

Mel,

Best of luck to Caoimhe tomorrow. I'll have her in my thoughts tomorrow. ♥

Operation was put off for 2 weeks today due to Caoimhes left leg not being loose enough, its still kind of hanging down so surgeon didnt want to cause any further damage.

Operation was put off for 2 weeks today due to Caoimhes left leg not being loose enough, its still kind of hanging down so surgeon didnt want to cause any further damage.

Urgh, I bet you would rather it was over and done with. What are they going to do, will they put her in traction to loosen the muscles?

• Advertisement

Home from Croom
    Aisling got the all clear :D:D:D:D:D:D

Nothing at all wrong with her hips Thank God
    Bloody PHN had me worrying for weeks :(

SO relieved!

Best of luck to Melion, jimbob_jones and others waiting with their kids to get sorted out
    And thanks for the advice guys n gals!

Advertisement