Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Dysplasia (DDH)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just reading through this thread and wanted to say that the information shared is great, thank you to all that have written about their experiences.

My daughter's left hip is a clicky hip (picked up in the hospital after her birth, a referral was sent from there and she'll be seen aged 6 weeks) and I have an appointment in the orthopedic hospital in Cork next Thursday, not sure what to expect at the appointment if it will be a xray or chat but I will write after it so that if there is someone else out there they'll know what is happening.

It's very reassuring to read that the kids seem to take things in their stride and that it doesn't seem to affect them. As a parent you would be constantly worrying and fretting about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BAwagon

fitzcoff wrote: »
    if it will be a xray or chat but I will write after it so that if there is someone else out there they'll know what is happening.

It's very reassuring to read that the kids seem to take things in their stride and that it doesn't seem to affect them. As a parent you would be constantly worrying and fretting about them.

It won`t be an X-ray ( well shouldn`t be) as X-ray is strongly not recommended before 4 month age. Most likely The`ll do an ultra sound.
    Apparently a lot of children will grow out of the "click " problem without any treatment or with only a special nappy. You are really lucky They pick it up so early. ( I know You don`t feel so lucky now)

We were back to Merlin Park in Galway yesterday to find out spica cast still wouldn`t work for Our baby girl. After 2 closed reduction the head of the tightbone is still started to slip out. They took the cast off ( after 4 weeks) and We have to wait for at least 4 month until We`ll know what`s next. They said She is too small for any other treatment now at 6 month of age. Dr. Curtin will examine Her hip development in November with dye injected to the joint and decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Well, it's almost 2 years since I started this thread and my daughters hips still aren't fixed! It is rathering frustrating.

The Salter is scheduled for September. Hoping this will be the end of it all after that!

@ lolli, that is a long time hopefully this next procedure will be the last of it for her.

I had my appointment on Thurs in Cork with my daughter as she was found to have a clicky hip at birth. Appointment was for 3 o'clock. I was seen just after 6, yes 3 hours later. Met the doctor and was told, we tried to ring you this morning, she needs an ultrasound and there is noone here today to do it so come back next week.
    She did a check on her hips and said there is a click but not a clunk so have to wait on the ultrasound next week.

When we came home I checked the house phone and they had rang at 12.05 we had left at 12. Why they could not have told me when I checked in at the hosp that I would have to come back next week I could have gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BAwagon

That`s crazy fitzkoff!! Really annoying .
    Last time We were in Galway University Hospital there Was a ~2 years old girl with Her Mum waiting for ultrasound for 3 days!! Day gave Them a bed and make Them wait till there is someone to do the ultrasound.
    BTW
    We found it very hard to find a carseat for the baby in spica. She needs a rear facing seat due to Her age it`s very difficult. Even in the hospital They did not have a clue where to go. After a few nights searching I found this:http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/31/products_id/169
    I`ts adapted for Hip spica and She is very comfortable in it. Actually much better than Maxi-Cosi. It`s not cheap but will suit up to 25 kg.
    Shipping is brilliant , We got it in 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You're all going to think I'm mad lol, but have you seen the cartoon tree fu tom on cbeebees? He's a little elf type super hero who 'needs your help to save the day' and the exercises he does in it are specifically designed to help children with dysplaxia. Might be worth a look and a fun way to do exercises?

Oh no....wait....I think that's dyspraxia :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yup, Tree Fu Tom is helpful for dyspraxia :)

fitzcoff wrote: »
    @ lolli, that is a long time hopefully this next procedure will be the last of it for her.

I had my appointment on Thurs in Cork with my daughter as she was found to have a clicky hip at birth. Appointment was for 3 o'clock. I was seen just after 6, yes 3 hours later. Met the doctor and was told, we tried to ring you this morning, she needs an ultrasound and there is noone here today to do it so come back next week.
    She did a check on her hips and said there is a click but not a clunk so have to wait on the ultrasound next week.

When we came home I checked the house phone and they had rang at 12.05 we had left at 12. Why they could not have told me when I checked in at the hosp that I would have to come back next week I could have gone home.

Jesus thats very unfair of them. Awful having to wait that long. my longest wait was 7 hours one day. Was wrecked. hope you get an answer soon

I had my second appointment last Thursday. The last appointment was in St Mary's hospital in Cork so I assumed the second one would be there aswell but I got a letter on Wednesday from the South Infirminary (sp) so headed there on Thursday. I went to check in and the girl at the desk diappeared for 5 minutes to arrive back saying that the appointment was printed on the wrong letterhead and I should be over in St Mary's (across the city).

Arrived over there to a full waiting room. Appointment had been for 2.15, this was now 2.45ish. Finally got to see the consultant just after 6. He did an ultrasound of both her hips and said that she has loose/relaxed hips. He had another name on it but basically that's what it means.

She doesn't need a brace as he feels that they will develop naturally themselves but back up there in 4 weeks for another check up to make sure that nature is doing what it is suppose to.

@ lolli, I thought 3 hours wait was bad to I think I would have gone insane to be waiting 7 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I forgot to update on here. Caoimhe has been given the all clear after salters osteotomy ops on both hips. It was a long drawn out process but I'm just glad it's over. She is running around like every other 3 year old and is starting playschool next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Super news Melion... what a long road!
    Our latest updates are good, we were facing a possible Salter this summer also but she has been given another stay of execution so to speak! There is hope that because she is marginal that it may not even be needed if we give her another 6-12 months... if the next xray is the same op will go ahead next year. Fingers and toes crossed! But delighted to know that even if it does go ahead she will be back running around in no time like your little one, thanks to all for the updates everyone.

Well we are heading into Hospital tomorrow for a salter osteotomy on Wednesday. Same place we were this time 2 years ago. How time flies.

lolli wrote: »
    Well we are heading into Hospital tomorrow for a salter osteotomy on Wednesday. Same place we were this time 2 years ago. How time flies.

Best of luck, just remember it will all be worth it in the end

Melion wrote: »
    Best of luck, just remember it will all be worth it in the end

Thanks Melion :) How long was your little lady in hospital after the operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Good luck today lolli!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hope all goes well too lolli just seeing posts now, keep us updated. :)

lolli wrote: »
    Thanks Melion :) How long was your little lady in hospital after the operation?

Hey, just seen this now.

On the first one she was in from Wednesday morning until Saturday and the second she was only in for the 1 night(i think)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lolli - hope all is going well for you all today *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi All,

Ive been dipping in and out of of this thread. My nearly 2.5year old girl is waiting on a consultants app.
    Long story short....

Xrayed at 6 months due to uneven creases, all ok.
    Walked at 11-12months, she always had a funny gait in the right leg, it looks like right knee bows out and she pulls leg after her a bit. Her older brother had the same, his is gone since he was approx 20months. Hers is much worse and she complains of knee pain and sometimes walks on outside of foot as it is sore:confused:.
    A friend whose daughter has serious hip issues suspects my daughter has a hip issue too.............

So my qt is does this sound like a hip issue to you and can an xray miss an issue?? (I know ye cant give med advice just wondering about other peoples experiences)

thanks for reading:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hi Guys,

My Daughter, 9 months, has been diagnosed with DDH and is due for her first op next week. I'd really appreciate if some (or one) of you could put up a top tips of what to expect from your day-to-day knowledge of dealing with a child who has gone through the procedure. Like what's the best method of dealing with nappies? What are the best high chair substitutes? Recommended skin ointment for dealing with skin rash that happens with having a caste in place for so long? Dealing with the little one's change for being immobile for so long? All that kind of stuff as it's looming large and is all a bit daunting.

Thanks a mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

duploelabs wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

My Daughter, 9 months, has been diagnosed with DDH and is due for her first op next week. I'd really appreciate if some (or one) of you could put up a top tips of what to expect from your day-to-day knowledge of dealing with a child who has gone through the procedure. Like what's the best method of dealing with nappies? What are the best high chair substitutes? Recommended skin ointment for dealing with skin rash that happens with having a caste in place for so long? Dealing with the little one's change for being immobile for so long? All that kind of stuff as it's looming large and is all a bit daunting.

Thanks a mil.

Our daughter had her first spica cast at about this age too. It is very daunting and upsetting but believe me she will get used to it before you do, in a day or two and you won't be far behind once you get into the swing of things.

We abandoned our high chair (had to) and got a beanbag. Had problems getting a large one to suit but ended up getting two in the Blackrock market - about 90euro each - in the beanbag stall. We wanted to give one to the creche as well. Beanbags are invaluable but be careful - they do learn to wriggle off!!

Took us about three days to sort out the buggy. We had a Quinny and had to figure out how to stuff cushions in it to support her properly and adjust straps to fit etc. Sounds easy enough but literally took us three days and was so frustrating. It couldn't be done beforehand because we needed to know her size with the cast.

For car seat we bought ours and got it delivered from in car safety centre in Belfast. It's specially adapted for spica casts. Expensive but only one we could find. Had to ring them a few months after purchase with a query and they were soooo helpful it was fantastic.

Cot was fine - no issues there. I know some people prop under the legs, we never did and felt there was no need as the cast supports them enough. You'll need light blanket for sleeping as the cast is very warm. For cream there's nothing you can do until the cast is finally off. We were lucky and our daughter's skin was great with a touch of eczema so we were recommended diprobase/silcocks base and some eczema cream. Baths were a nightmare for a while because she hadn't had one in months! She came around eventually and now loves baths. Just takes time. While in the cast you can sponge wash. You'll need two people to wash hair, one to hold her over the bath and the other to wash.

Our daughter wasn't mobile before her cast - rolling over and sitting but not crawling or creeping so I'm afraid I don't have any tips for that. But she played with her toys in the beanbag or on someones lap. We got a projector light for night times and she enjoyed that going to sleep. She was a bit frustrated first night because she couldn't roll but was fine after that night. She really did adjust so fast.

Nappies are done through a hole in the cast. Our daughter was average weight and we put a size 3 inside the cast (she was on 4s at the time I think). Put the largest nappy you can in, without cramming it in there! Easier to push in at the bum first and tuck in at the front - in my experience. Then a larger nappy (size 6 for us) goes over the whole cast like a regular nappy. They line the edges of the hole with waterproof tape and should give you more in the hospital - ask for it if not. We never had to top ours up but some people do. Google changing nappies in a cast - we found some good sites. It's scary the first time but you do get the hang of it quickly. Show everyone who might need to change a nappy how to do it so they feel confident. I found it helped me feel more confident about it too, explaining to others. I was terrified the first few times but you do it soooo often it becomes second nature.

I think the main thing with the nappies is to accept there will be accidents and leaks inside the cast that you can do nothing about. Don't get too stressed, just clean as best/as much as you can. We were fortunate - there was nothing too messy. I think the age 9 months helps a bit - assuming she's started solids so poos tend to be less leaky. Change the nappy frequently so wee leaks are minimised. I found it tricky to check for dirty nappies so once I started I just finished a change. Teething times can be difficult if there's a rash or runnier poos so even more frequent changes/checks during those times.

For clothes we bought sizes one and half to 2 years to fit. Our daughters cast went right down to her ankles both legs so socks were a big one to keep her feet warm. And a vest and a top/dress then. No bottoms at all. The only time her legs were covered was in her babygro (larger size) at night. She still hasn't grown into some of the stuff we bought her back then!

Oh be careful lifting - it takes a while to get used to supporting underneath the cast. Under the bum is best. Again tricky to get used to but you do eventually. Keep reminding people not to lift her under the arms - they will forget how heavy the cast is on her body and to support it properly.

Our daughter had two spicas and one brace over 19 weeks and is out of brace since Feb/March. She managed to start creeping commando style in her casts and got into everything! We're waiting for osteotomy still so she'll be back in a brace after that. Looking back it seems like so long ago. She's running around no bother to her now. I hope your daughter's treatment goes well and quickly. PM me if there's anything you'd like to know/ask. Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helps. Good luck :)

theLuggage wrote: »
    Our daughter had her first spica cast at about this age too. It is very daunting and upsetting but believe me she will get used to it before you do, in a day or two and you won't be far behind once you get into the swing of things.

We abandoned our high chair (had to) and got a beanbag. Had problems getting a large one to suit but ended up getting two in the Blackrock market - about 90euro each - in the beanbag stall. We wanted to give one to the creche as well. Beanbags are invaluable but be careful - they do learn to wriggle off!!

Took us about three days to sort out the buggy. We had a Quinny and had to figure out how to stuff cushions in it to support her properly and adjust straps to fit etc. Sounds easy enough but literally took us three days and was so frustrating. It couldn't be done beforehand because we needed to know her size with the cast.

For car seat we bought ours and got it delivered from in car safety centre in Belfast. It's specially adapted for spica casts. Expensive but only one we could find. Had to ring them a few months after purchase with a query and they were soooo helpful it was fantastic.

Cot was fine - no issues there. I know some people prop under the legs, we never did and felt there was no need as the cast supports them enough. You'll need light blanket for sleeping as the cast is very warm. For cream there's nothing you can do until the cast is finally off. We were lucky and our daughter's skin was great with a touch of eczema so we were recommended diprobase/silcocks base and some eczema cream. Baths were a nightmare for a while because she hadn't had one in months! She came around eventually and now loves baths. Just takes time. While in the cast you can sponge wash. You'll need two people to wash hair, one to hold her over the bath and the other to wash.

Our daughter wasn't mobile before her cast - rolling over and sitting but not crawling or creeping so I'm afraid I don't have any tips for that. But she played with her toys in the beanbag or on someones lap. We got a projector light for night times and she enjoyed that going to sleep. She was a bit frustrated first night because she couldn't roll but was fine after that night. She really did adjust so fast.

Nappies are done through a hole in the cast. Our daughter was average weight and we put a size 3 inside the cast (she was on 4s at the time I think). Put the largest nappy you can in, without cramming it in there! Easier to push in at the bum first and tuck in at the front - in my experience. Then a larger nappy (size 6 for us) goes over the whole cast like a regular nappy. They line the edges of the hole with waterproof tape and should give you more in the hospital - ask for it if not. We never had to top ours up but some people do. Google changing nappies in a cast - we found some good sites. It's scary the first time but you do get the hang of it quickly. Show everyone who might need to change a nappy how to do it so they feel confident. I found it helped me feel more confident about it too, explaining to others. I was terrified the first few times but you do it soooo often it becomes second nature.

I think the main thing with the nappies is to accept there will be accidents and leaks inside the cast that you can do nothing about. Don't get too stressed, just clean as best/as much as you can. We were fortunate - there was nothing too messy. I think the age 9 months helps a bit - assuming she's started solids so poos tend to be less leaky. Change the nappy frequently so wee leaks are minimised. I found it tricky to check for dirty nappies so once I started I just finished a change. Teething times can be difficult if there's a rash or runnier poos so even more frequent changes/checks during those times.

For clothes we bought sizes one and half to 2 years to fit. Our daughters cast went right down to her ankles both legs so socks were a big one to keep her feet warm. And a vest and a top/dress then. No bottoms at all. The only time her legs were covered was in her babygro (larger size) at night. She still hasn't grown into some of the stuff we bought her back then!

Oh be careful lifting - it takes a while to get used to supporting underneath the cast. Under the bum is best. Again tricky to get used to but you do eventually. Keep reminding people not to lift her under the arms - they will forget how heavy the cast is on her body and to support it properly.

Our daughter had two spicas and one brace over 19 weeks and is out of brace since Feb/March. She managed to start creeping commando style in her casts and got into everything! We're waiting for osteotomy still so she'll be back in a brace after that. Looking back it seems like so long ago. She's running around no bother to her now. I hope your daughter's treatment goes well and quickly. PM me if there's anything you'd like to know/ask. Sorry for the long reply! Hope it helps. Good luck :)

Nothing short of fantastic, thank you thank you thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jrw2bjrj

Our daughter had hip dysplasia and was in a spica cast for three months. My husband made a table for her to sit at and play at. It worked brilliantly, but we no longer need it for her (thanks be to God). If anyone in the Dublin area wants the table and chair for their spica baby, please let me know. I can send photos if you want.

We go down to Waterford fairly often as well, so there's a chance of meeting someone if someone from that area wants it.

Ok, anyone know or experience with their little one, the operation (Can't remember the name) to develop/chisel out the socket. Our little one has been in a cast/brace for the last 22 weeks. Thinking we were done with it, we went in for our final check up/x-ray where we were told that the socket has not developed and the ball at the top of the femur has not grown therefore she has to go back in her brace for a further three months (she's really having trouble with this) with the possibility that she may have to have the op or we could have the op ow and be done with it.
    So my question is, what's the rehab recuperation period like and what were your experiences of it?

duploelabs wrote: »
    Ok, anyone know or experience with their little one, the operation (Can't remember the name) to develop/chisel out the socket. Our little one has been in a cast/brace for the last 22 weeks. Thinking we were done with it, we went in for our final check up/x-ray where we were told that the socket has not developed and the ball at the top of the femur has not grown therefore she has to go back in her brace for a further three months (she's really having trouble with this) with the possibility that she may have to have the op or we could have the op ow and be done with it.
    So my question is, what's the rehab recuperation period like and what were your experiences of it?

Salter osteotomy by any chance? My daughter had that done last September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

My daughter is 15 months old and cant walk or crawl yet. The public health nurse noticed a problem with her hips and sent her for an x-ray, which we went to see a specialist in temple street hospital, they confirmed she has hip dysplasia on both hips but said she wont be operated on til she is over 18 months. I am just wondering am I being brushed under the carpet and should I be pushing for surgery. She cannot crawl or lift herself up when she is lying down flat. She does not seem in pain. Should be I worried? I have read most of these posts and all the children are much younger and being told they caught it early. Please post with an opinion of what you think?

embireland wrote: »
    My daughter is 15 months old and cant walk or crawl yet. The public health nurse noticed a problem with her hips and sent her for an x-ray, which we went to see a specialist in temple street hospital, they confirmed she has hip dysplasia on both hips but said she wont be operated on til she is over 18 months. I am just wondering am I being brushed under the carpet and should I be pushing for surgery. She cannot crawl or lift herself up when she is lying down flat. She does not seem in pain. Should be I worried? I have read most of these posts and all the children are much younger and being told they caught it early. Please post with an opinion of what you think?

Well it depends really. My daughter was diagnosed at 8 months old, she had 10 days of traction and was brought to theatre for a closed reduction - they put her hip back in. Fast foward months of spicas, braces etc.. I started getting worried when she got to 13 months and couldnt sit up by herself or let alone crawl or walk, she got physio which really helped. She was put into a device that you strap her into which forced her to stand. I brought that home with me and put her into it everyday. She even had her own little zimmer frame for a while. :) Try asking your health nurse for a referral for physio. Saoirse was gettong physio even though we knew she still had the big operation ahead of her. Swimming in another great thing that helps.

I was then told that her hip socket hadnt formed properly. This operation they couldnt do until she reached a certain age because they wanted to see if the hip would develop by its self. Did they mention her hip sockets to you at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 embireland

yes they said her hips were not in the sockets right. I asked my doctor to refer me to a ped specialist in the Lourdes Hosp Drogheda and waiting on the referral at the moment. I got her a walker and a little car which she started using her legs now to move them, but she still wont crawl or walk for me or lift herself up. I must ask the ped doc about physio and I really dont want her to have the op, but dont want to go against the doc advise. At the moment, a second doc in temple st. told we should leave things for 6 months. I dont know what to do, x-rays all confirm her hips are not developed right and one is higher than the other. Thanks for answering me.

It is better for her to have the operation while she is young. I know its scary, but honestly its worth it. The change in my daughter since had the operation is amazing. The past few weeks she has really gotten stronger and shes not as wobbly as she used to be :)

She started walking again about 2 weeks after her splint came off. I think it would be worse leaving an operation like that until shes older. They heal quicker and they are less likely to remember it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

My daughter is going in for double Salter osteotomy in the summer and I'm just wondering about others experiences. In general about how the first week or so after goes. Lolli I know your girl went through this, is there any equipment or toy that you found invaluable. Any advice? Are they able to walk at all or do they have to be carried about for a bit? My daughter is 2 and a half and I've an 8 month old as well so wondering how managing them will go. My daughter goes to creche a few days a week and I'm wondering if she'll be able for it soon after or if it will take a while. I know every child is different but would be great to hear others experiences on it.

We were expecting this op for a while but its still a bit of a shock when you know its definitely happening! I guess I'm stressing a bit so any words of wisdom would help!

Advertisement