Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Biggest Loser USA (Season 8 - Sky One)

Options
  • 31-08-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else watching this? I have to say this is the first season that I've watched regularly enough. I just have a few observations:

I don't like the way they eliminate contestants because drama shouldn't be the point of the show. That being said I see that they do continue to help eliminated contestants up until the finale so that's good.

I wouldn't be a fan of the trainers. I can tolerate the man but the woman is just not very genuine. She is very rude and dare I say it fake. All those little pep talks that she gives seem incredibly contrived.

The show likes to bang on about inspiring America but I'd be interested to know just how many viewers have successfully shifted their weight because of being inspired by the show. I mean The Biggest Loser is not real life, you cannot compare a situation where contestants are given free access to personal trainers, gym equipment and nutritional information to real life where none of that is available to the average joe.

Anyway, I am enjoying the show all the same. Of the women I like Amanda the most and from the men Rudy and Allen. These are the contestants who just get on with it and stay out of the drama of it all.

In sum, good show, though I doubt it's as inspirational to the masses as the show likes to think it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Anybody else watching this? I have to say this is the first season that I've watched regularly enough. I just have a few observations:

I don't like the way they eliminate contestants because drama shouldn't be the point of the show. That being said I see that they do continue to help eliminated contestants up until the finale so that's good.

I wouldn't be a fan of the trainers. I can tolerate the man but the woman is just not very genuine. She is very rude and dare I say it fake. All those little pep talks that she gives seem incredibly contrived.

The show likes to bang on about inspiring America but I'd be interested to know just how many viewers have successfully shifted their weight because of being inspired by the show. I mean The Biggest Loser is not real life, you cannot compare a situation where contestants are given free access to personal trainers, gym equipment and nutritional information to real life where none of that is available to the average joe.

Anyway, I am enjoying the show all the same. Of the women I like Amanda the most and from the men Rudy and Allen. These are the contestants who just get on with it and stay out of the drama of it all.

In sum, good show, though I doubt it's as inspirational to the masses as the show likes to think it is.
    Watched the last season and watch this season whenever i can. Would like to see Allen win it, he really seems to be the one trying the hardest. I agree about the trainers, the man is alright and seems genuine where as the woman is just irritating and really gives the impression that she thinks she's better than them. as regards the drama aspect of the show its still a tv show there always going to bring drama and the occasional sob story into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Whatever you might think about Jillian (the trainer) she gets results. I think of the 7 seasons so far 6 of the winners have been trained by her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Hrududu wrote: »
    Whatever you might think about Jillian (the trainer) she gets results. I think of the 7 seasons so far 6 of the winners have been trained by her.

I'm watching it now and she's pissed off at Rudi for not mentioning that his sister died when he was 12, I mean it's none of her business, what's she so pissed off about? :confused: Purely a vehicle for her to make some "dramatic TV", this is exactly why I don't like her.

I think you could get the same results out of someone without pissing them off like she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm watching it now and she's pissed off at Rudi for not mentioning that his sister died when he was 12, I mean it's none of her business, what's she so pissed off about? :confused: Purely a vehicle for her to make some "dramatic TV", this is exactly why I don't like her.

I think you could get the same results out of someone without pissing them off like she does.

I agree. She's always saying how she has to get to the root of the problem in order to help them lose weight

Rudy has lost a metric f*ckload of weight since the start of the show. He knows how to lose weight without trying to make him lose another pound in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Agree completely, I hate the little segment each week where she tries to break someone down and "get to the root of the problem", it's such BS... Thankfully I'm watching on sky plus and can just fast forward lol :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brionde

I'm a bit of a sucker for the sob stories to be honest, but I get the point that Gillian just nags it out of them - kinda unnecessary. I also do think the show is inspiring - maybe not for everyone but I'm sure it gets some people off their ass and some people just need that bit of inspiration.

I kinda hope Rudy wins, he's kicking ass with the weight loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

beegirl wrote: »
    Agree completely, I hate the little segment each week where she tries to break someone down and "get to the root of the problem", it's such BS... Thankfully I'm watching on sky plus and can just fast forward lol :-)
    Ah thats just american Tv tho aint it! Full of Drama

Watching this and Auz's biggest loser, and jaysus that difference in weight lost and weight is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I've started watching it - I LOVE Jillian Michaels! She's brilliant. Yes she is tough, but she gets results, and they are a lot happier now with their exercise routine than they were the first day they got on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

been watching this since I accidentally left the first episode of this season on in the background and got hooked. I'm a fan of Danny all the way. No idea why, he'd probably do my head in if we were friends but just like seeing him get on with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

We have only started watching from this season but it has become one of our fav shows. I agree with the other posters that Jillian is very fake and really plays up for the cameras. It is quite annoying!

I thought they were cruel to vote off the biggest girl Shay from the show. She was doing really well & was starting to lose big numbers.
    We noticed that they never showed an update for Shay and the end of that episode.

so it's either there's a big reveal at the end of the series or she's back on the pies & has lashed the weight back on :eek:

• Advertisement

We're a year behind the US, they are already a season a head of us. If you wanna find out what happened with Shay, I suggest that you visit the official website for Biggest Loser. ;)

Season finale is on, Rudi FTW. :cool:

Amanda made a fair observation, how do you make sure you never go back? I find visualising where you once were and how you felt at the time as a great motivator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Any idea when the actual finale is on? Cannot find it anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The finale was on last Monday (not yesterday, the Monday before it). It'll probably still be shown on repeat on Sky - try Sky1, Sky2 or Sky3.
    I am so frikkin happy Danny won!!!! YAY!!!! He was my absolute fav, and I can't believe how good he looked at the finale, the weight loss was insane!!!! Fair play to him, he really deserved the win.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    The finale was on last Monday (not yesterday, the Monday before it). It'll probably still be shown on repeat on Sky - try Sky1, Sky2 or Sky3.
    I am so frikkin happy Danny won!!!! YAY!!!! He was my absolute fav, and I can't believe how good he looked at the finale, the weight loss was insane!!!! Fair play to him, he really deserved the win.
    It is insane alright considering where he started from, but I'd be interested to know how much time elapsed between the final week on campus and the finale. Fair dues to Rudy as well. All of them really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Employer

After the last week on campus they had 60 days when they came back and were joined by the 3rd person for the next 60 days...

Fantastic results I didn`t even recognise the winner!!!!
    And I was hoping and praying for the "At Home" winner too..
    I loved the before and after shots Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gunnerdonegal

could you tell me where online can i buy the biggest loser on dvd?

Advertisement