Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a UK bank a/c

Options
  • 31-08-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be moving to the UK shortly for University and will have to pay rent by direct debit.

However this is only possible if I have a UK bank account. Another problem is that I'll have only 8 days to set up the account before the first installment is due.

I was just wondering which bank would provide me with an account quickly and easily with the least hassle?

I have heard some UK banks will issue you with an a/c by just showing them your passport as a form of ID, is this true?
    I also have a letter confirming my accommodation, would this be sufficient as proof of address?

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hi,

I have heard some UK banks will issue you with an a/c by just showing them your passport as a form of ID, is this true?
    I also have a letter confirming my accommodation, would this be sufficient as proof of address?

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

From experience UK banks can be far more rigorous than Irish ones with the whole ID/proof of address issue. You'll need the passport for ID and usually a bank statement/utility bill. However, as you're a student, they do often take a Lease Agreement or similar to confirm student addresses. If you approach a branch near the uni they'll be well used to it!

Most banks are much of a muchness so I guess it's whoever is more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When i went to the uk for university there were several bank officials from different banks on the campus for people in yours and my situation. You wont have much trouble getting an account with passport/proof of address/proof of course you are on, etc plus anything else you can bring. Maybe bring some proof of your full time address in ireland if you can, but thats not essential i dont think. Good luck.

Edit. Is your accomodation agreement from university residence? That should be fine to use as proof of address, thats all i had. Bring any receipts you have of any payments you have made in relation to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I work for a high street bank in London so if you are moving to London PM me and I will see if I can help you out.

Otherwise your first port of call should be Lloyds TSB. When I moved over they opened my account with just my passport as proof of ID.

There are some things you can do when you move over to help you open an account.

1) Register on the voters role.
    2) Register with the NHS - Your NHS card can be used as proof of address.
    3) Get your NI number - This can also be used as proof of address.

As was said above if you have a tenancy agreement from a reputable agency (or University Halls) then this will also be usable as proof of address.

If you know what your address is I would try and get your NI number sorted now, you have to call them up and arrange an interview which takes about a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Why not just stroll across the border at your leisure and open a bank account in Northern Ireland, using your Irish address? (maybe choose a bank with a branch close to your uni/lodgings). Once you have your new UK address you can ask the bank to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

HSBC are offering a bank account with your passport as id - which you can open online. There is a £8 a month fee though :(

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/current-accounts/passport

www.moneyguideireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Thanks very much for all the info everyone, I really appreciate it.

amcalester - thanks very much for the offer but I'll be moving to Newcastle, I'll try and go with Lloyds and set one up there. Thanks for the info on the NI number too!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

lloyds is the only bank i found that you can quickly (under your circumstances) open a uk bank account - other banks require at least proof of address which you will not have.

all you need for lloyds is a passport. i wouldnt even bother trying the other banks (at least not again :) )

ft

Advertisement