Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to OZ New Zealand and US

Options
  • 31-08-2010 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

HI Everone, this is my first post here so its a landmark for me. Im heading away on my adventure on the 10 October for 4 months to OZ, N Zealand and west coast of America on my own. Even though i spent a few weeks in Thailand last summer on my own still a bit apprehensive. Just wondering if there are fellow travellers heading off round the same time. Also as regards travelling to Oz i have two months there to see the country if anyone has any advice on where to go what 2 see and what is the most appropiate forms of transport.. Im spending xmas in N Zealand and most of jan in west coast of USA. im bac on to eire on 6th feb. Any advice on all matters relating to travel would be greatly appreciated such as amount of money required to the type of weather to expect in the different countries.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Welcome to Boards.

I wouldnt even know where to begin pionting you on such a short time frame 2 Months to see oz is a big Ask. I would say plane.

Where do you land in Oz?

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

only been as far as sydney in Oz but have been all over NZ. your best bet is to rent a car or buy one as second hand cars are quite cheap and plentiful and it may be economically viable to buy instead of rent. for about €1000 you can buy a decent car that will do just fine and you can sell again before you leave (i made a profit on my car!). alternatively these guys do good deals and have a good selection of cars/vans to rent http://www.wicked-campers.co.nz/

as for flights, if youre flexibile and on the ball you can get quite good deals here http://flightbookings.airnewzealand.co.nz/vgrabview/en_NZ/home.do To be honest though, i urge you to drive as the roads are amazing and the scenery around every corner is just fantastic. there are always people looking for lifts in hostels so you need not be alone all the time either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 b mac donncha

Thanks z im landing in Syndey on Oct 14 and will be n OZ for two months, will hopefully get 2 see as much of the country as possible..

Bren.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

Hi B Mac Donncha - just seen your post there. I'm actually in the middle of trying to persuade myself to travel OZ on my own something similar to you. Being a female though I have a little bit less confidence but fed up with my friends always canceling so said I would have to go by myself.

I was thinking of going over there Oct 22nd or 29th - spend a week in Sydney, fly to Alice Springs for Ayers rock. Then fly to Cairns and work my way down the east coast using the bus. Thinking of spending Christmas in Sydney and then go to NZ for 3 or 4 weeks and then head home end of Jan from NZ.

I need to make my decision by end of next week I think. Just wondering if you don't mind me asking how much money you think you will be spending for the trip? Trying to figure out how much I will need as I have only interest in traveling and viewing the sights and not to work over there. Or maybe if someone else is reading this and they have been or are going might be able to give me a rough idea. Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Lovethinking

Hi Folks, Sorry to be another source of questions ... but... I was thinking of going in mid October and returning around the second week of Jan. I was hoping to go to one of the Thai islands on the way... my brother and his wife love it there... I've seen the pics... lying in a hammock, one leg on the beach, the other on your hut's veranda... aaahhhh! that's the life. Hoping to move on to OZ for a month or so, then New Zealand, then the US.... maybe home in time for tea on Jan 10th. On my own too, but by all accounts there's plenty of fellow travellers to bunch with on the way (I hope:)). Anyway, I havn't booked anything yet so if anyone has any advice.... I have noticed that the prices on www.roundtheworldflights.com are alot cheaper than USIT... is their a downside????

• Advertisement

I was hoping to go to one of the Thai islands on the way... my brother and his wife love it there... I've seen the pics... lying in a hammock, one leg on the beach, the other on your hut's veranda... aaahhhh! that's the life.

koh tao. its the bomb.

I have noticed that the prices on www.roundtheworldflights.com are alot cheaper than USIT... is their a downside????

"The ticket is valid for 12 months and is date changeable for a fee of around £90" (from the roundtheworld website)

it could get very costly if you are like me and change dates a few times. you may wanna stay in a place longer than planned or change the date you come home etc. just something to keep in mind. i booked with Trailfinders and changed dates 3 times while away which cost me €210.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anyway, I havn't booked anything yet so if anyone has any advice.... I have noticed that the prices on www.roundtheworldflights.com are alot cheaper than USIT... is their a downside????

Are you including the taxes? They're the killer.
    Also you'll need to add flights to London. That's always a downside for me. I don't travel light so the cheap airlines can get pricey. If there's any delay on the flight from Dublin and you miss the London flight the airline won't give a crap. Easily avoided by leaving really early but that might involve hotel costs and wasting time. Travel insurance probably gets over that problem though.

I haven't looked at that website too much, what do you do if you want to do part of your trip by land?
    Having to trek back up to an airport when you've traveled half way down a country would be a pain. E.g. I went from Bangkok to Samui by train / boat then flew from there to Singapore a few years ago. It was a great way to do it.

Cheers folks, I contacted Roundtheworldflights.com directly and all the super prices are for next year... looks like USIT or trailfinders would be better after all. I have to change my departure date to Oct24th due to work. My brother recommends going to OZ and NZ first and then Thailand because the weather would be better in Thailand in January. I've been told that I had better book soon as the flights are getting dearer by the day. I hope you guys have a great time... maybe we'll cross paths on the way.

Hi B Mac, With regard to your question about weather, I believe that sept to November is Hurrican season in the southern US (including LA) so it's probably better as a later stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement