Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Internet Connection: Splitter or Voyager 210 Internet Box

Options
  • 31-08-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have telephone and broadband connection:

In the past few weeks I have had to wait for ages to get an internet connection. Sometimes trying from 7am to 1pm to get on-line.

It appears most likely that the Voyager Box is beginning to pack in. Does this happen?

If I leave the system powered up over night, the connection stays. But if I turn off power over night it takes hours to re-connect to the internet, even though the phone connection is constant.

My service providers technical support team had no real answer...any ideas guys?

Splitter or Voyager 210 Internet Box packing in? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Could be either. Well do try changing the splitter if you can get your hands on another one. Also verify that any other devices in the house only connect to the phone line via an ADSL filter (or just disconnect them for the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Thanks BH.

Indeed, theres on other devices running apart from the phone and internet connection from a splitter.

One Tech guy at BT said it was the splitter and not the box, another Tech support guy said that was impossible and it was the other way around...I guess the cheapest route at the moment is a splitter, BT wanted to sell me an Explorer box at 79.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

One Tech guy at BT said it was the splitter and not the box, another Tech support guy said that was impossible and it was the other way around

Well it's definitely maybe something connected to the the phone line at some stage ;)

So that just leaves one of :

Router -> phone cable -> splitter -> more phone cable -> Eircom box -> Eircom exchange

Simple really. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Hi all,

I have telephone and broadband connection:

In the past few weeks I have had to wait for ages to get an internet connection. Sometimes trying from 7am to 1pm to get on-line.

It appears most likely that the Voyager Box is beginning to pack in. Does this happen?

If I leave the system powered up over night, the connection stays. But if I turn off power over night it takes hours to re-connect to the internet, even though the phone connection is constant.

My service providers technical support team had no real answer...any ideas guys?

I'm not saying it definitely is the box but I had a guy in Killenaule who's internet just stopped working one day and it turned out to be the box. BT replaced it for free.

You could remove the splitter temporarily just to see if it is that that is causing the issue and remove the phone at the same time.

Normally one of the first things I do is ring the provider and get them to do a line test. At that point if there is something wrong their end they normally come clean.

Is the DSL sync light coming on straight away?

Maybe you could "borrow" a neighbours router to test with also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

thanks guys...helpful tips...
    jpl888 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it definitely is the box but I had a guy in Killenaule who's internet just stopped working one day and it turned out to be the box. BT replaced it for free.

You could remove the splitter temporarily just to see if it is that that is causing the issue and remove the phone at the same time.

Normally one of the first things I do is ring the provider and get them to do a line test. At that point if there is something wrong their end they normally come clean.

Is the DSL sync light coming on straight away?

Maybe you could "borrow" a neighbours router to test with also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement