Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyne Cable Bridge (C+C, Please?)

• 31-08-2010 8:18pm

Hey all,

Spent a couple of hours alone in the dark last night, wandering around the Cable Bridge with my camera and thought I'd throw these up here to see if anyone loves or hates them.

Will take another trip up toward it some time in future again (I believe there's a way onto the road itself, and a small bridge overlooking it somewhere, so I'll go mooching sometime again soon).

So anyway, yeah, just throught I'd stick these here and see if anyone has any cosntructive criticism :)

FE353762BEBD470989DA12331109937D-0000333410-0001886710-00800L-B9DF5F5795BE4DD68417D236DD1F56B0.jpg

D6F444C59295464B815AB293606BC8AF-0000333410-0001886708-00800L-8B30903035DA4B068218715FE719E389.jpg

F7C6B780A2F94BF69E94FEE9C2777E58-0000333410-0001886707-00800L-90EF339A93D44E019876EDDC15FD96EF.jpg

F0571A500ED44C7D98408AAA4CBB0742-0000333410-0001886709-00800L-26244E85F7C54B40BF37C4656CDA0149.jpg

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I like #1 and #4. They don't look like bridges - more abstract!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

Wow- great shots- love the last in particular. I suppose the only criticism is that they might have been better with some dying light in the sky- but really nice nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Visuelle

I take it you mean getting onto the bridge itself!

Just get on the M1 and there is plenty of room to park your car on the grass verge well out of the way of traffic. I took plenty of shots of the bridge this way, go here.

Nice pics by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Yeah, park up on a motorway, and then go walking about taking photos, at night! :eek:

whyulittle wrote: »
    Yeah, park up on a motorway, and then go walking about taking photos, at night! :eek:

Don't be afraid, I will hold your hand :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

#1 and #4 are great. I love the lighting on that bridge.

Pivot_Al wrote: »
    Wow- great shots- love the last in particular. I suppose the only criticism is that they might have been better with some dying light in the sky- but really nice nonetheless.

Yeah I was thinking that, too. But its apparently a bit of a scumbaggy area around where I was, so I thought i'd leave it a little later too head out (i left my house at about 1.20).

Visuelle wrote: »
    I take it you mean getting onto the bridge itself!

Just get on the M1 and there is plenty of room to park your car on the grass verge well out of the way of traffic. I took plenty of shots of the bridge this way, go here.

Nice pics by the way.

Yeah, I was looking at that. Unfortunately, I'm a bum, so i don't have a car, but i seen that on the small bridge that goes over the cable bridge, there seems to be a muck hill that you can walk down onto the side of the road.

I wasn't paying much attention, but i am curious, is there a median that you can walk on on that road? I know the area beside the hill is spacious enough and safe enough to take photos (unless a car is pulling in to stop, but what are the chances!).

My only fear is that, knowing my luck, as soon as I put my foot on the road, a Garda car will pass me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

^ Please dont ever ever go walking on a motorway - especially at night!

Im on my phone and the link above aint working for me but there is a small little road that runs under the bridge alongside the river. You can walk alone it until your hearts content but its very dark and narrow in places (especially if two cars are also coming in opposite directions)

#4 is my favourite BTW

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

cool

I keep telling myself I'm going to park up and photograph that bridge. Well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the entire area around that bridge is pretty free of scumbags, you should be safe to go out anytime (taking the usual precautions of course).

It looks like the bridge has been cleaned? I went down there before the summer to get some shots, but the sides were all stained a dark brown, presumably from rain. This meant that the lovely blue reflections on the white concrete was missing, but it looks OK in your pix

• Advertisement

If you are on the bridge at night you would be taking the pictures from either side of the bridge, you would be in behind the large barriers that run the length of the bridge so you would not be on the actual road, nobody would actually really see you unless you were wearing something bright or they were driving really slow, I would actually not wear anything that could distract drivers, so dark clothes is the way to go, maybe a balaclava to top it off!

That's only my opinion from doing it a couple of times in the past, now get yourself up onto that bridge and start shooting ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

There is a little road that runs through a tunnel under the bridge. You get to it from the Slane/Drogheda Road. Take the right before the big roundabout. Pics here - http://pix.ie/pullandbang/album/366985

This is gonna be a half assed reply, as my PC shut down after I had a good long one written out, but anyway:

Kev Longshanks, the road you're talking about, I'm fairly sure that's where #4 was taken. The road passes by the bottom of the bridge.

Pullandbang, I went through that tunnel on the way home. I walked up on top of it where there was a fence that I could've jumped over and I could've made my way onto the side of the road, but I was tired and hadn't the energy. Was a bit lost at that stage and just wanted to get home and into bed. Might try again another time though, now that I know where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I really like #4

Advertisement