Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling a PC remotely

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭

I would like to use a program that can be loaded on 2 PC's to allow me full control of the second PC.

My mother is not at all computer savy and I regularly get questions about settings. She is in Galway and I am in Kildare. I need a program that is easy enough to configure that will allow me to get full control for a short amount of time.

I have seen crossloop free and realVNC. Crossloop looks the simplest to use so that would be ideal. Has anyone used it before ?

They claim no firewall config required but I doubt that. I am on UPC and she is on Eircom. Would I also have to configure her eircom router to allow me access or get her to drop the firewall to off for a short period of time ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Teamviewer would suit for that. You can have her start it manually or you can leave it running as a service. You don't need to worry about firewalls. Logmein is another popular one. Personally I prefer Teamviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

bhickey wrote: »
    Teamviewer would suit for that. You can have her start it manually or you can leave it running as a service. You don't need to worry about firewalls. Logmein is another popular one. Personally I prefer Teamviewer.

I will give teamviewer a go. Does it get around the eircom router firewall without config ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Damien360 wrote: »
    I will give teamviewer a go. Does it get around the eircom router firewall without config ?

Yes. When you start it up it offers an ID and a password. Enter these at the other PC and off you go. The ID always stays the same but by default it gives you a new password each time. You should be up and running in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I use MESH.com. I have all PC's registered and can connect to any that are on-line (once MESH is running), MESH can be configured to always be running. No changes required on the firewall either. MESH is a Microsoft App AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Use the free version of Logmein.

It sets itself up really and is a doddle to use.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Teamviewer +1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Dazzy wrote: »
    I use MESH.com. I have all PC's registered and can connect to any that are on-line (once MESH is running), MESH can be configured to always be running. No changes required on the firewall either. MESH is a Microsoft App AFAIK.

Mesh is soon going to be changed to Windows Live Sync.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just had to add this.

Used teamviewer and it worked a treat. Saves me a trip to home to fix a PC. Might use this for a few customers also.

Thanks to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

logmein +2

Advertisement