Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a few basic renters' questions

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks,

Would really appreciate any advice given on a few basic (but probably obvious) questions to do with renting.

I've been renting for the past 4 years but through a private landlord, have never had any dealings with letting agents. Now, myself and a friend have decided to get a place together, and have started looking on Daft.ie, etc.

The main question I have is how much leeway letting agents are prepared to give you in terms of timeframes. Say, for example, we see a place on the 12th of September and want to take it. The problem is that neither of us can move until October 1st at the earliest, as we have paid rent until the end of September in our current places and can't afford to pay double rent as well as a deposit for the new place.

Would the letting agents hold the place for us until October 1st, or would they generally expect you to start paying rent immediately?

Also, how amenable are agents these days to taking offers on something? i.e. an apartment is going for 1200, but our budget is 1,100....

Thanks in advance.

CWF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

This is always a pain. I was fortunate enough at the end of my last lease that a family member was going away for 2 months and I moved into her place while I was searching for a new place to avoid having to pay 2 months rent and another deposit. If you can do that it's a great solution.

Otherwise, the agent might well be open to your plan given good tenants are like hen's teeth these days. So all you can really do is ask.

As for making an offer, yes, you absolutely should not offer the asking price. I'd be looking to close at 10% below asking at least, so make your opening offer low enough to allow for that, assuming the agent will want to haggle your initial offer up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

In the current market, most landlords will be ok waiting 2-4 weeks for a good tenant, especially if you can offer a (non-refundable) booking deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

silja wrote: »
    In the current market, most landlords will be ok waiting 2-4 weeks for a good tenant, especially if you can offer a (non-refundable) booking deposit.

Eh why would you give a non refundable booking deposit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

Thanks for the input guys, that's slightly encouraging... however I am also wondering about the non-refundable deposit! That'd just be like paying a month's rent, surely... I take it that isn't protocol for everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I'd imagine the poster means it would be non-refundable in the event you pull out of the deal. When you move in it will become your refundable security deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'd imagine the poster means it would be non-refundable in the event you pull out of the deal. When you move in it will become your refundable security deposit.

Yep, sorry I wasn't clearer- booking deposit is basically some money ( sometimes one months rent, though often less) you pay the landlord to "hold the home" for you. It shows you are serious and won't pull out at the last minute, as if you do, the landlord gets to keep it to defray his expenses in re-advertising and loosing rental income while he looks for another tenant. If you do move in, the money paid will go towards the security deposit, and thus becomes refundable once you move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

Aha, I see what you mean now. Thanks a lot for your help... will keep fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I found it easier to deal with an agent to be honest. They were like an intermediary for both parties to come to an arrangement that suited. They were able to reduce the rent and put in a clause so that I could break the lease after 6 months with 4 weeks notice if needed.

Advertisement