Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorised dish newbie enquiry

• 31-08-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for the past few months and the idea of a motorised dish is really appealling to me. Thing is, i wouldn't have a clue how to install it, i wouldn't even attempt it!
    I'm interested to see what free to air channels i can pick up, as well as being able to buy an Al-Jazeera or Tring card for the football. Its mainly just as an interest or hobby, nothing too serious or expensive.

Just a few things i would appreciate if people could help me with.

1. Can i put the motorised dish on the side wall of the house next to my sky dish? I don't really have the room in my garden for it.
    2. Can anyone recommend anyone in Cork who could do a good installation job?
    3. How much roughly am i talking for a decent set up?

Thanks in advance and apologies if some of these questions have been answered already.

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you'll get an idea of prices here, really you should get a 1m dish not 80cm:

http://www.wizardsatellite.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_37&products_id=304

Some good deals there as well, especially the technomate ones!

I wouldnt really put a motorised dish on the wall up high. A couple of reasons why is 1) its easy to maintain lower down 2) would be very prone to damage to motor/wall from unclement weather (a 1m dish can have a load of over 4 tonnes in a strong gust of wind)

With regards to getting it setup, you should have a go, especially if its a hobby. Yes its tricky, but you'll get advice here (From the stickys etc) and its not actually as hard as it seems! You'll get a lot more satisfaction from it knowing you've done it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

At least a 1M dish and ideally it should be mounted on a tripod or pole placed in the ground.

one the pole is plumb and the motor is correctly placed on the dish the rest should take care of itself.

plenty of help around in case you get stuck.

Advertisement