Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque Cashing Service

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I recently did a quick painting job for a family friend and they paid me by cheque for 100 euro, I know the standard way of processing a cheque is by lodging it into your account and waiting 5 days.

I'm looking for somewhere that does cheque cashing on the day like in the states, when i was living there they cashed a cheque there and then no bother.

Two companies I have found so far but im unsure about them, i'm expecting a "handling fee" and some sort of massive c.10% processing fee.

The reason for this is because I need the money for Thursday the 2nd and just hoping there is somewhere that doesn't charge anything major.

http://www.money-shop.ie/

http://www.chequecashing.ie/

Has anyone any experience with either of these or does anyone have any advice as to where there is a decent place to cash a cheque fast, and what are the fees like?

Thanks guys, i'm just a bit stuck for money this week :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Im not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but sure you can ignore it if its not.
    If you had a minimum of €100 in your credit union account, then you could give the cheque to the teller. They would lodge it into your account and then you could ask to withdraw €100. Or Vice-a-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Im not sure if this is exactly what your looking for but sure you can ignore it if its not.
    If you had a minimum of €100 in your credit union account, then you could give the cheque to the teller. They would lodge it into your account and then you could ask to withdraw €100. Or Vice-a-versa.
    Dont have a credit union account but thanks anyway :)

Bump

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Rycn please don't bump threads, the most recent post in the thread was only at 9pm. If people have an answer they will post it.

Which bank and branch was the cheque drawn on? You can bring it there, and bring some photo ID, and they'll cash it for you, free of charge. Don't bother with those cheque cashing services. Having looked at both those sites you linked, they look seriously dodgy, and they also don't mention anything about personal cheques, so there's a chance they may refuse to cash it for you. Often, when you lodge a cheque to your bank account, you can withdraw it before it clears, so ask your bank do you have that facility on your account.

Toots* wrote: »
    Rycn please don't bump threads, the most recent post in the thread was only at 9pm. If people have an answer they will post it.

Which bank and branch was the cheque drawn on? You can bring it there, and bring some photo ID, and they'll cash it for you, free of charge. Don't bother with those cheque cashing services. Having looked at both those sites you linked, they look seriously dodgy, and they also don't mention anything about personal cheques, so there's a chance they may refuse to cash it for you. Often, when you lodge a cheque to your bank account, you can withdraw it before it clears, so ask your bank do you have that facility on your account.
    Hi toots, sorry i just needed an answer tonight!

The cheque is a BOI one, my account is ulster bank though, but i dont want to have to wait the 7 days or whatever it is for it to clear.

Do i just go in and they give me the cash there and then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Rycn wrote: »
    Hi toots, sorry i just needed an answer tonight!

The cheque is a BOI one, my account is ulster bank though, but i dont want to have to wait the 7 days or whatever it is for it to clear.

Do i just go in and they give me the cash there and then?

On the cheque they gave you, it will have the bank and branch. If you go to that bank and branch with id they will give you cash there and then at no charge.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    On the cheque they gave you, it will have the bank and branch. If you go to that bank and branch with id they will give you cash there and then at no charge.
    Your a lifesaver :)

Your a lifesaver :)

No problem glad I could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

ANXIOUS wrote: »

Unless its crossed and marked a/c payee only. Then it has to be lodged into your personal bank account.

Unless its crossed and marked a/c payee only. Then it has to be lodged into your personal bank account.
    Yes I was just going to say, its one of those pre-crossed BOI cheques, just the 2 blues lines, not account-payee only.

Can I still cash it at the cheques address?

• Advertisement

Yes I was just going to say, its one of those pre-crossed BOI cheques, just the 2 blues lines, not account-payee only.

Can I still cash it at the cheques address?

No sorry I didn't think it was crossed, I'm 99% sure you can't. But you've nothing to lose so you may as well just chance it.

There is nothing written in the cross, its just pre-printed there.

Hmm... no idea :(

Advertisement