Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! need advice bought a car and didnt realise the head gasket was damaged

Options
  • 31-08-2010 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

i bought a 01 ford mondeo 1.8, all seem'd fine to me, and to my friend that knows a fair bit about cars, took it down to the garage for a full service and i was told the head gasket was gone. 700 euro repair:mad:.

i got a second garage to look at it and got told the same thing.

the car wasnt driven much as there was no tax on it, only one trip home and then down to the local garage.

i rang the people i got it from and they want nothing to do with it.

they said they only had it a few weeks. so im guessing they found this out and sold it on to me, and washed ther hands of it.

now im stuck with a car, thats no use unless repaired. the gaurds dont want to know about it.

im taking them to small claims court but im told i wont have much luck.

any help would be great.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

if it was a private sale I would say you have no comeback and will have to chalk it up to experience.

Not nice but thems are the breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Were these definitely private people you bought it from ?
    How much did you pay for it and where was it advertised ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Phil dublin

i paid 1500 for it, and yea it was bought from done deal, i got the car from there house.

whippet wrote: »
    if it was a private sale I would say you have no comeback and will have to chalk it up to experience.

Not nice but thems are the breaks

thats what i figured but its always good to seek more advice, just incase.

Put their number into donedeal search and see if they're selling more cars , if they are threaten them with the revenue as you think they are a dealer. If not get a better price on doing the head maybe 400 and if its a later model mondeo then you're not doin too bad at 1900 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Could you get anyone to watch the house for a while, just in case they are selling cars as a part -time operation. In other words, are you absolutely sure you bought from a private seller?

Bigus wrote: »
    Put their number into donedeal search and see if they're selling more cars , if they are threaten them with the revenue as you think they are a dealer. If not get a better price on doing the head maybe 400 and if its a later model mondeo then you're not doin too bad at 1900 all in.

yea good idea, just tried to search for a there phone number on done deal but that website doesnt return anything when u search for a mobile number,
    even tried searching for a number i seen on an add right now.

searched on gumtree to, no returns.

i think they had a bad buy and dumped it on me!!!

Could you get anyone to watch the house for a while, just in case they are selling cars as a part -time operation. In other words, are you absolutely sure you bought from a private seller?

na there to far away for that. but i dont think there dealers. gut feeling.

But the price you paid reflects this so maybe get the job done after they check out the rest of the car first

But the price you paid reflects this so maybe get the job done after they check out the rest of the car first

well 1500 for a 01 mondeo is a good price if the car is in great condition,
    but it had plently of wear and tear.

it seemed a fair price at the time, i had to replace the rear lights, and bumper. so i expected a few quid to make it nice again,

but not this.

• Advertisement

Wel, you are in Dublin so you are not stuck for options within a short radius. Shop around for best price. If you have to get the full unit try www.traynors.co.uk. They are based in Tyrone but do deliver to the South.

Wel, you are in Dublin so you are not stuck for options within a short radius. Shop around for best price. If you have to get the full unit try www.traynors.co.uk. They are based in Tyrone but do deliver to the South.

yea, ur not wrong. its not that fact ive options, its more to do with these people just getn away with dumping the car on me. and having no law to back me up. or any sort of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

i got caught like this before i bought a 2000 opel frontrea jeep looked like new it did, paid 1800 for it a week later the temp went through the roof took it to a opel garage they said gasket was gone a good bit and the last owner must have put redwell in it to get it sold, and yes they were dealers off loading it. so a long storey sort cost me 1100 to get it all redone and i did. then i found i could,nt keep petrol in it so i sold it. i did say in the ad gasket was gone and replaced.
    i ended getting 700 for it as i never wanted to see the heap of junk again so i learned the hard way

patwicklow wrote: »
    i got caught like this before i bought a 2000 opel frontrea jeep looked like new it did, paid 1800 for it a week later the temp went through the roof took it to a opel garage they said gasket was gone a good bit and the last owner must have put redwell in it to get it sold, and yes they were dealers off loading it. so a long storey sort cost me 1100 to get it all redone and i did. then i found i could,nt keep petrol in it so i sold it. i did say in the ad gasket was gone and replaced.
    i ended getting 700 for it as i never wanted to see the heap of junk again so i learned the hard way

ah man, that sucks, i understant u wanting to get rid of it, im feeling the same now about this car.

i dont understand how its so easy to get away with this type of thing.

my friend knows some people high up in the police so he's taking me to see him tomarrow, ill let you know how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

yea good idea, just tried to search for a there phone number on done deal but that website doesnt return anything when u search for a mobile number,
    even tried searching for a number i seen on an add right now.

searched on gumtree to, no returns.

Use Google.

yea, ur not wrong. its not that fact ive options, its more to do with these people just getn away with dumping the car on me. and having no law to back me up. or any sort of justice.

I empathise with you completely. Pity you cannot name & shame.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Use Google.

ur dead right, silly me!!

i found 3 other cars for sale!! with that number.!!!!!!!

;) Now you're getting somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Technically anyone that sells more than three cars in the space of a year is considered as "dealer" in the trade.

Report them to the revenue commissioners.

Technically anyone that sells more than three cars in the space of a year is considered as "dealer" in the trade.

Report them to the revenue commissioners.

ive only found 3, and thats including mine. ill have to get someone to call them and find out if they have any more for sale.

if there classed as a dealer , does this help me nad my rights in the small claims court????

• Advertisement

the 3 cars were sold in july26,june 6, and aug 14th,

this guy has to be a dealer!!1

I bet if you do some more Google digging you'll find your Mondeo for a bit less than what you paid for it.

Now you're onto something as they're a dealer , threat of revenue might frighten them into giving you money back.

I bet if you do some more Google digging you'll find your Mondeo for a bit less than what you paid for it.

well he or should i say she cause it was in her name.

wanted 1700, i paid 1500. im going to try get my mates to ring up and see if hes any other cars for sale.

ive already got the 3 webpages saved to my harddrive as proof, just need 1 more. ..

if i take him to court as a dealer, rather than a private seller do u think ill get money back towards the repair cost.

or just the payback of reporting him as a dealer to the revenue

Now you're onto something as they're a dealer , threat of revenue might frighten them into giving you money back.

hope so. really i do. this has being a long hard day.

PM the reg no and colour and I'll see if I can find it for sale by the last owner, it might mention needing work or something.

PM the reg no and colour and I'll see if I can find it for sale by the last owner, it might mention needing work or something.

done...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ah man, that sucks, i understant u wanting to get rid of it, im feeling the same now about this car.

i dont understand how its so easy to get away with this type of thing.

my friend knows some people high up in the police so he's taking me to see him tomarrow, ill let you know how that goes.

I think you would be wasting your time. The law is reasonably clear. You have a comeback if the vehicle is "a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle". You are not given a comeback if the vehicle is defective in any other way, and a faulty or blown head gasket doesn't make a vehicle dangerous (except to your state of mind!).

Check for yourself: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#zza16y1980s13

I think you would be wasting your time. The law is reasonably clear. You have a comeback if the vehicle is "a danger to the public, including persons travelling in the vehicle". You are not given a comeback if the vehicle is defective in any other way, and a faulty or blown head gasket doesn't make a vehicle dangerous (except to your state of mind!).

Check for yourself: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#zza16y1980s13

thanks for the link. :(. truth hurts.

i guess i already no im not getn my money back. but if hes classed as a dealer, i might get some retribution! :D

i only want money towards the repair. they scamed me. so the more information i can gather, including what you just sent me will determine the route in which i take. it might be pointless taking them to court. but it will upset them.

plus a treat from the revenue, and a lot of information might just let this guys know that im not backing down. this alone might get me something.

this sounds kinda petty as i read over it. but i didnt have a lot of money to spend and the fact ive to fork out more hurts me and my family. these guys are just laughting at me, and its making me sick to my stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

I wouldn't let the Fcuker get away with it. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt untill you found the 2 other ads. This fella obviously does this regularly.

This fella is obviously playing dirty so don't you be afraid to do the same to him.

Let him know that you know he dealing. Give him a print off of the 3 ads.
    Give him a 3 way choice -

1) Full Money back and he can have his POS Car back
    2) The cost of the repairs
    3) Small Claims Court and The Revenue

Let him take his pick.

Kerrist people like him make me sick.

Advertisement