Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! need advice bought a car and didnt realise the head gasket was damaged

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Phil dublin

BnB wrote: »
    I wouldn't let the Fcuker get away with it. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt untill you found the 2 other ads. This fella obviously does this regularly.

This fella is obviously playing dirty so don't you be afraid to do the same to him.

Let him know that you know he dealing. Give him a print off of the 3 ads.
    Give him a 3 way choice -

1) Full Money back and he can have his POS Car back
    2) The cost of the repairs
    3) Small Claims Court and The Revenue

Let him take his pick.

Kerrist people like him make me sick.

i have no intention of letting him away with it.
    i already gave him the option of 1 and 2, but that was before i found out he was dealing, so im hoping option 3 might change his mind!!!

but ill wait till i speak to the gaurds later today. see where i stand.:cool:
    thanks for the support!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If this person is not registered as a business, then you can't use the Small Claims Court. Likewise, getting the Gardaí involved is a waste of time as they will see it as a private sale.

As "technically" it was a private sale, then the law of "Caveat Emptor" applies. This means that the onus is on you to make sure that the goods are acceptable.

However, since you appear to have gathered enough evidence that the person is acting as a dealer, you can hopefully use this to apply some pressure on them. Tell them that you will make the Revenue aware of their activities (as my father deals in the motor trade, I can tell you that the Revenue involvement is taken seriously).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Here's the Revenue's Guide to VAT and VRT on Transactions Involving Motor Vehicles.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-and-vrt-on-motor-vehicles.html

It covers new and second hand cars and private sales and dealers so you should be able to get all the facts you need to put the proper wind up this person!

Sorry I was going to read it for you and post the relevant bits but it's early and all the tax talk in it started to make my eyes glaze over so.....but sure it's all there anyway. Note: they need to update it though. According to them VAT is still 21.5%, as opposed to the 21% that it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Also I'm sure that if you could prove that they're selling cars in the course of business then the Small Claims option would be available to you. Only problem is that I doubt you'd be successful as the car wasn't dangerous so unless there's some rule that says they have to disclose any faults they know about on the car (which I'm fairly sure there's not but I'm open to correction) and you can prove that they knew the gasket was gone then you probably would be wasting your time.

I think you'll have better luck with the threat of the revenue than you would with Small Claims.

Good luck with it anyway. I hate sheisters like that!!

Here's the Revenue's Guide to VAT and VRT on Transactions Involving Motor Vehicles.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-and-vrt-on-motor-vehicles.html

It covers new and second hand cars and private sales and dealers so you should be able to get all the facts you need to put the proper wind up this person!

Sorry I was going to read it for you and post the relevant bits but it's early and all the tax talk in it started to make my eyes glaze over so.....but sure it's all there anyway. Note: they need to update it though. According to them VAT is still 21.5%, as opposed to the 21% that it actually is.

thanks for all th input. ill have to read over this with a large mug of tea!!
    what i have learnt from all of this is. dont buy private!! :( its a con mans market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BnB wrote: »
    Give him a 3 way choice -

1) Full Money back and he can have his POS Car back
    2) The cost of the repairs
    3) Small Claims Court and The Revenue

Let him take his pick.
    IMO, 2 is not an option. The gasket is what you know that has been blown so far. There may be more damage. Also, by the time you have gotten the repairs done, he may be long gone.

Again, IMO, tell him
    A) You get your money back
    or
    B) you goto Revenue

And if you get A, anonymous tip-off to the Revenue...

the_syco wrote: »
    IMO, 2 is not an option. The gasket is what you know that has been blown so far. There may be more damage. Also, by the time you have gotten the repairs done, he may be long gone.

Again, IMO, tell him
    A) You get your money back
    or
    B) you goto Revenue

And if you get A, anonymous tip-off to the Revenue...

lol, i like your style..
    yea im just building a case at the min. making sure hes sold at least 4 cars.
    then im going to knock on his door and give him these options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ive only found 3, and thats including mine. ill have to get someone to call them and find out if they have any more for sale.

if there classed as a dealer , does this help me nad my rights in the small claims court????
    Google his number, if he is "sloppy" it will appear several times selling cars. Most people at this game will use unregistered sim packs and toss them away after three sales. It wouldn't take too much for the authorities to keep track him more so if he is shifting them from the same address all the time.

Google his number, if he is "sloppy" it will appear several times selling cars. Most people at this game will use unregistered sim packs and toss them away after three sales. It wouldn't take too much for the authorities to keep track him more so if he is shifting them from the same address all the time.

thats what im doing now. my mate went to his friends in the police :D .
    what goes around comes around!!!! someday karma will bit him in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i was told the head gasket was gone. 700 euro repair:mad:.

This is your problem. I had a gasket repaired for €180. Your car was cheap and your problem is the repair cost.

• Advertisement

This is your problem. I had a gasket repaired for €180. Your car was cheap and your problem is the repair cost.

by all means send me the details on the garage that done that for 180.

i know this is my problem, one im tryn to fix! i just dont think its fair that i was stung with a car that had hidden prblems!

if i bought a cheap car with the information i have now i wouldnt have taking it.

thanks for your comment. but please keep the next one to yourself.:mad:

i was looking for helpfull advice, like what everyone else was giving.

Advertisement