Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build improvements, opinions etc...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Go with a 460 instead of a 465, they perform about the same.

Go with a non SONY/NEC drive, I went with one and it's a dull matte grey instead of a glossy black, it's also loud (not terribly but enough to just notice it over the fans) when a disc is spinning in idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Also, try using hardwareversand.de, as with OC.uk you'll find the price changes when you go to checkout.

And wait for the 950 price drop, if it hasn't hit already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im waiting for that price drop on pixmania but it doesnt seem to be happening as right now its at 400 euro :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you thought about buying the GA-X58A-UD3R instead and saving some money? It's a great board for the price.

The C300 128GB is a cracker I got one for myself last week and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I'd also go with a different cpu cooler,Perhaps some thing like a Megahalems or the Noctua NH-U12P which I'm using myself is a better choice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TVMANIAC2

Also, try using hardwareversand.de, as with OC.uk you'll find the price changes when you go to checkout.

And wait for the 950 price drop, if it hasn't hit already.

Cheers VenomIreland

What are hardwareversand like on RMA's? Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't accept credit cards?

What rough price is the Core i7 950 expected to drop to?

I think the reason the price changes is because shops like OC.co.uk & amazon.co.uk only up the VAT rate from 17% to 21% VAT rate towards the end of the checkout process. Very confusing!

Thanks ...

• Advertisement

cork45 wrote: »
    Have you thought about buying the GA-X58A-UD3R instead and saving some money? It's a great board for the price.

The C300 128GB is a cracker I got one for myself last week and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I'd also go with a different cpu cooler,Perhaps some thing like a Megahalems or the Noctua NH-U12P which I'm using myself is a better choice imo.

I had the specs for both the GA-X58A-UD3R & GA-X58A-UD5 in front of me this morning. For some reason (dual Lan maybe?), I chose the latter.

I think the dual Lan is the only difference, unless anyone can tell any different?

Looks like I'll set that back to the 3R instead so, and save a few €!

Did you have trouble installing Win 7 or other OS on that C300 drive? I heard it can be tricky to get a hold of suitable drivers to load on during the install phase?

If anyone has the 3R or the D5 motherboard, it would be good if ye can confirm no issues with sound output / mic input with Windows 7!??

Will take a look at that cooler too! I chose that Zalman as it's what I'm using in my current build - not the quietest, but sure does keep things mighty cool!

Cheers ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I very much like, however might as well throw in a modular PSU if you are spending that much, will make cabling solution much neater.

Also presuming it was a gaming build personally i would drop to an i7-930 and spend some of the difference on a 5850 (Or wait for the expected intel price drops).

Very jealous of that SSD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Windows 7 has no problem with drivers when installing with the C300 but you should disable AHCI in the bios before the install and I found that it's best to have only the C300 connected when your doing the install.

What marco_polo say's about the PSU is spot on as well,It's always a neater install with a modular PSU.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I very much like, however might as well throw in a modular PSU if you are spending that much, will make cabling solution much neater.

Also presuming it was a gaming build personally i would drop to an i7-930 and spend some of the difference on a 5850 (Or wait for the expected intel price drops).

Very jealous of that SSD :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the Corsair 650W a modular PSU?
    cork45 wrote: »
    Windows 7 has no problem with drivers when installing with the C300 but you should disable AHCI in the bios before the install and I found that it's best to have only the C300 connected when your doing the install.

What marco_polo say's about the PSU is spot on as well,It's always a neater install with a modular PSU.

Good to know!

Cheers ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TVMANIAC2 wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the Corsair 650W a modular PSU?

Good to know!

Cheers ...

The TX line is not modular, the HX line are the modular Corsair PSUs.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-022-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    The TX line is not modular, the HX line are the modular Corsair PSUs.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-022-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

Changed it!

Cheers marco_polo!

Advertisement