Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak Handshakes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

There are two types of limp handshakes
    1) is a bit feeble with a slight attempt to compensate for it with a false smile at the end.
    2) is a total wet fish and it obvious the person is not more interested in meeting you than the man in the moon (hate this one with a passion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I prefer a high 5.

However it can be embarrassing if the other person chooses not to participate & i have to pretend i was just stretching my arm or something.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭mojesius

So does anyone agree that there's really no need for it anymore?

All we're doing is judging someone's character by their grip, not reassuring them we're not yielding a weapon.

Or, is the handshake in fact the weapon of the corporate world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The worst is a weak shake from a clammy, cold hand.

/Shudders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I damaged my hand punching a solid thing some time ago. Cant squeeze anything wihout pain. Hand injurys are very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

don't understand handshakes, not really into physical contact. only real contact i know tends to be violent

if someone wants to handshake, sure i stick it out to be shuck - if they try n crush it i punch them the f**k out.

i get the impression i'd punch a lot of u out. firmly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Einhard wrote: »
    The worst is a weak shake from a clammy, cold hand.

/Shudders
    You are not supposed to shake the hand of the person in the coffin. Just say a prayer and move on.

The Agogo wrote: »
    F*cking AH what did I expect..

Childish isn't it.:rolleyes:

Now Agogo away....... WHAAAMMMMO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I agree, i think its important to give a firm handshake especially if your in an interview. I think it shows a strong character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This man could be the next leader of the free world! Third World dictators will be walking all over us when they find out the man in charge doesn't have a strong enough finger to push the button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

:mad::mad::mad: Curse and bad cess to everyone on this thread! I have a touch of arthritis in my hand, which usually doesn’t bother me much. Indeed, I frequently forget altogether that I have it until I offer the paw to some big lump of a builder who proceeds to set me roarin’.

Can we not have an alternative custom like sticking out your tongue to show you have no gun in your mouth or something? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Childish isn't it.:rolleyes:

Now Agogo away....... WHAAAMMMMO!!!!

I'm not gonna lie. I spent a bit of time trying to pun a slag for your username, but I failed.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sometimes you can tell a sweaty hand from a mile away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

handshakes are for women ,kisses is were its at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I used to weakly handshake as I was paranoid about crushing hands and stuff, I honestly never thought of it as rude. I know better now and crush hands, slap, grab cocks etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

lugha wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad: Curse and bad cess to everyone on this thread! I have a touch of arthritis in my hand, which usually doesn’t bother me much. Indeed, I frequently forget altogether that I have it until I offer the paw to some big lump of a builder who proceeds to set me roarin’.

Can we not have an alternative custom like sticking out your tongue to show you have no gun in your mouth or something? :confused:

Why not tell people beforehand?

I broke my right wrist and suffered nerve damage to my fingers which affected me for about 9 months. I just told people as I was shaking hands my hand was damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

lugha wrote: »

I think men should continue to handshake, as it's a manly thing to do. But women should rub their breasts against each other when they meet each other & when they meet men, they should offer them up for a good squeeze / honk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The only thing worse than a weak handshake is a handshake with someone that looks concerned about the pressure they're applying to your fingers. That takes the idea of a handshake to a whole new uncomfortable level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Star Bingo wrote: »
    don't understand handshakes, not really into physical contact. only real contact i know tends to be violent

if someone wants to handshake, sure i stick it out to be shuck - if they try n crush it i punch them the f**k out.

The Agogo wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie. I spent a bit of time trying to pun a slag for your username, but I failed.
    :confused:

Let me try.

Umm?....hey fonecrusher, what you got against fones fool?

.....Retching sounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

week hand shakes are awful

Yeah, they take so long....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Star Bingo wrote: »

Attempts at trying to sound hard; 1

Successes at making us think that you are hard; 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

What the f*ck is up them?

I went to meet a new client today & offered a handshake, as I always do in such circumstances, only to be met with a handshake weaker than a 20 day old piece of lettuce.

I took an instant dislike to the man. To be honset, I'd prefer a handcrusher.

I think they should teach people how to shake hands properly in school - it's a social faux pas not to know how to shake hands like a normal person.

I agree with ya SB. I hate a weak handshake, it feels like it its not genuine. But theres actually a psychology behind it. It depends on how you shake someones hand. Is it weak? equally as firm? or the hand crusher? then theres the angle to consider, is it a level hand shake or is the other hand shaker holding your hand down?

Weaker hand shakes, if its to be believed of course; generally mean the shaker is less secure or intimidated by you, or unsure of what to expect from you. If someone shakes you on the level - firm hand and hand on hand level, theres trust there, and genuinity. If someone takes your hand and crushes it or holds their hand above yours, its an intimidation tactic, or almost a warning that you're likely to be talked into anything. These people have strong personalities, and the 'down' hand shake is that you are of lesser importance.

I was shook by the hand with this in mind as a test by someone recently, and seemingly I hand crush and hold my hand shakers hand down. I'm not sure I like that. I do have confidence, and I take no shit, but Im not a bad person but never set out to intimidate anyone =/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

King Felix wrote: »
    Why not tell people beforehand?
    I keep forgetting. :o Someone offers you their hand, you instinctively take it.
    It's pretty mild so most things don't cause a problem but the hand squeezer gets me every time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

What way does a lad shake hands with a woman, squeeze real hard or soft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You think weak handshakes are bad, I used to throw out the ol' lefty and that would really throw them off guard.

Awkward shuffling and looking at hands can ensue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Charlie Haughey famously used a deliberately limp handshake - but only for greeting his enemies, to leave them feeling disconcerted.

The idea was that he would reserve his firm handshake for the favoured few and if you got the week version then you knew you were on thin ice with the boss.

Also, there are scenes in both Raging Bull and Goodfellas where De Niro and Ray Liotta give very obvious very week shakes when greeting those for whom they have no "respect"

So at least in the mob world you know where you stand when you get the wet letuice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sitec wrote: »
    What way does a lad shake hands with a woman, squeeze real hard or soft?

Depends.... is this doggy or missionary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Attempts at trying to sound hard; 1

Successes at making us think that you are hard; 0

i just repel those who think they are with wanton displays of their apparent manliness, especially in a deceptive manner. just don't need it

- are you a businessman or something? whats to shake on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

mikom wrote: »
    Depends.... is this doggy or missionary?

I'm the hand crusher. Need anything crushed?

Advertisement