Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Xbox 360 Controller w/ improved D-Pad

• 31-08-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

This doesn't interest me much but a lot of people tend to regard the d-pad as the only sh!tty part of the 360 controller and it seems MS have addressed this in their new controller:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/new-xbox-360-controller-with-improved-d-pad-confirmed-by-major-n/

Theres a video of major nelson showing it off. The dpad can be twisted to raise the "plus" and so you can switch between a disc and a plus. Apart from the dpad the only real changes seem to be slightly more concave sticks and the coloured buttons are now different shades of grey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

as long as they fix when you are using the d pad and you press one direction and then the xbox pcks it up in a whole other direction thing i'll get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The green controller was meant to be better, i got it and the d pad was indeed better but other than the articles i read there was no mention of improvement on the controller. the new one doe have the plush/disk changing thing but unless this is replacing the current controller in which case i'll get one eventually i don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Varik wrote: »
    The green controller was meant to be better, i got it and the d pad was indeed better but other than the articles i read there was no mention of improvement on the controller. the new one doe have the plush/disk changing thing but unless this is replacing the current controller in which case i'll get one eventually i don't care.

The modifications on the limited green controllers was carried over to the standard controller shortly after. You could still be unlucky and pick up a new controller with the original mechanism though in shop where they don't have a high turnover of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Having bad luck with some of our machines it's that time of year where 3 things break over the same week. Can anyone point me in the direction of a website or shop that sells Xbox controllers (joypads or whatever you call them) for the regular Xbox not the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Microsoft plans to release a new xbox360 controller in February(ish) that features a transforming D-pad.

Yes. The "almost" perfect controller is getting plastic surgery.

Changes to the controller includes:

• Transforming D-Pad.
    • New colour scheme for buttons.
    • Black paint where there was none before.
    • Concave design on analog sticks.

And yeah, that's pretty much it.

Some may say that's not much.
    And some may even say what's the point?

But looking at the video provided by "Major Nelson," Microsoft's director of programming for Xbox Live, I'm happy to say "cool."

Yup. The new patented D-Pad looks quite nice.

The new D-Pad transforms from a disk into a (raised) plus shape with a twist of a hand.

Planned to be released November 9th in the US.

So its expected February for European gamers.

Cnet covers the exciting news with a nice video giving us a sneaky peaky.

Enjoy. :pac:

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20015189-17.html#ixzz0ybkVwdPI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

HxGH wrote: »
    Black paint where there was none before.

LOL :pac:

Jev/N wrote: »
    LOL :pac:

Its what the consumers demanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

you should have searched the forums before posting this thread as this is the third or 4th one i have seen re the new 360 controller youir about 3 days too late posting this..

you should have searched the forums before posting this thread as this is the third or 4th one i have seen re the new 360 controller youir about 3 days too late posting this..

I actually searched it after i wrote it up and said feck it, mines better. :P

I saw two and they were just one liners really.

I felt the need to go educate. :pac:

I actually searched it after i wrote it up and said feck it, mines better. :P

I saw two and they were just one liners really.

I felt the need to go educate. :pac:
    you can educate in the other threads, this just blocks the forum up with pointless multiple threads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Any pics???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

you can educate in the other threads, this just blocks the forum up with pointless multiple threads

Isn't that called back-seat moderating? If you have nothing nice to say...

I guess. Maybe next time.

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    Any pics???

And If you check out the link provided there's a nice video giving you a better look.

Thuck_Fat wrote: »
    Isn't that called back-seat moderating? If you have nothing nice to say...
    AWW new user ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

DARK-KNIGHT, back seat moderating is not tolerated on boards.ie.

HxGX, I'm merging this thread sonce there are many like it. Before posting about something that is big news, make sure that there are no threads like it!

FG

FutureGuy wrote: »
    DARK-KNIGHT, back seat moderating is not tolerated on boards.ie.

HxGX, I'm merging this thread sonce there are many like it. Before posting about something that is big news, make sure that there are no threads like it!

FG

Thanks FG ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Not sure which thread I should be posting this on but since this seems to be the most active one about the new controller, thought I'd post a link to the new Razer Onza wired controller that's due out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmbItq7Ny0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRG3cxx5K1s

If you don't mind it being wired, then it might be of interest to you.

Not sure which thread I should be posting this on but since this seems to be the most active one about the new controller, thought I'd post a link to the new Razer Onza wired controller that's due out soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmbItq7Ny0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRG3cxx5K1s

If you don't mind it being wired, then it might be of interest to you.

Wow there's so much more with these controllers, yet, they aren't wireless.

Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

$65 dollars for a controller, pretty steep! Why not keep it the same colour as the xbox 360, i dont want a white xbox and silver/black controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

johnn wrote: »
    $65 dollars for a controller, pretty steep! Why not keep it the same colour as the xbox 360, i dont want a white xbox and silver/black controller

I reckon as far as MS are concerned, black is the official colour of the 360 now since the slim one came out.

Wow there's so much more with these controllers, yet, they aren't wireless.

Pity.

The point of it being wired is to make sure that there's no lag or interference between the controller and the console.

I don't wish to start this argument over which is superior, wired or wireless, as both have their plus sides. Let's just say that professional gamers pretty much always use wired controllers in tournaments and leave it at that.

The Onza seems to be aimed at high end/competitive gamers, so it'll have a niche market. I love the idea of it but waiting to see a proper review about deadzones and general feel of it. It looks like the thumbsticks are extended too, much like FPS Freaks, which allow you to increase sensitivity and thus turn speed but still keep control.

The point of it being wired is to make sure that there's no lag or interference between the controller and the console.

I don't wish to start this argument over which is superior, wired or wireless, as both have their plus sides. Let's just say that professional gamers pretty much always use wired controllers in tournaments and leave it at that.

The Onza seems to be aimed at high end/competitive gamers, so it'll have a niche market. I love the idea of it but waiting to see a proper review about deadzones and general feel of it. It looks like the thumbsticks are extended too, much like FPS Freaks, which allow you to increase sensitivity and thus turn speed but still keep control.

No, no.
    No arguement here! :D

Point taken!
    I suppose I'm a little too casual for this controller.

No, no.
    No arguement here! :D

Point taken!
    I suppose I'm a little too casual for this controller.

I just read something stupid about the Onza. Supposedly it's designed for the competitive market but it's been banned from MLG (Major League Gaming) because the extra bumper buttons can be remapped to any other button on the controller. Thus making it a "modded" controller which is against the rules. Kinda stupid of them, you'd think they would have checked that before designing and producing it :rolleyes:

Am I right in saying that the new MS controller won't be available in Europe till next Feb/March but released in the US within the next few weeks? That kinda sucks!

Am I right in saying that the new MS controller won't be available in Europe till next Feb/March but released in the US within the next few weeks? That kinda sucks!

If you read my post on this thread you would see that this is true.

PS- Yes, it does suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks ugly as hell. Think it's an incredibly pointless and stupid move to change the color of the buttons.

Advertisement