Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Router NAT Blocking my SIP (Linksys PAP2T)

• 31-08-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Eircom router (motorolla 2247-62) NAT seems to be blocking my blueface incoming calls.

The incoming call seems to be registering on the PAP2T.
    Outgoing calls are fine.
    I have set a stun server
    The phone is a Siemens 4012 (have tried others and dont work either)
    I have nat keep alive selected.
    I have assigned a static ip to the PAP
    SIP port seems to be open at 5060

Is there anything else I can try before I sign myself in??:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

I have set a stun server

You shouldn't need a stun server with Blueface and a PAP2T.

Have you followed the Blueface instructions here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 musically challenged

Hi,
    Is the firewall in operation and if so have you allowed for the TCP port 5060 for SIP and what ever UDP RTP ports are required.
    If the PAP2 is alerting for an incoming call it would point to the TCP port 5060 being allowed and pointed to the ATA but if the UDP RTP ports are not allowed you wouldn't get any audio. If this is not the case maybe you should try the Cisco/linksys site for any possible upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Hi,
    Is the firewall in operation and if so have you allowed for the TCP port 5060 for SIP and what ever UDP RTP ports are required.
    If the PAP2 is alerting for an incoming call it would point to the TCP port 5060 being allowed and pointed to the ATA but if the UDP RTP ports are not allowed you wouldn't get any audio. If this is not the case maybe you should try the Cisco/linksys site for any possible upgrades.

Udp and tcp open as far as i can see is there any way to test it? firewall is on low

When do I need a stun server? The router is NAT enabled. Or explain please why I dont need one. Dont completely undersatnd it

STUN (Simple Traversal of UDP through NATs (Network Address Translation)) is a protocol for assisting devices behind a NAT firewall or router with their packet routing. RFC 5389 redefines the term STUN as 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT'.

Just looked this up...

• Advertisement

Did you or did you not follow the Blueface instructions for your device connecting to their service? You shouldn't normally have to anything strange on the firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

We had the same issue at work with our IP pbx we were setting up for someone. They were eircom too but iirc it was a netopia they had.

Calls out were fine.
    About 50% of calls in reached the blueface voice mail.

I'll ask the guy who dealt with it what he did, i'm not sure if it was on the pbx or the router side.

bhickey wrote: »
    Did you or did you not follow the Blueface instructions for your device connecting to their service? You shouldn't normally have to anything strange on the firewall.

No I just fell into it cold turkey :rolleyes: Course I looked at it.

I assume they are giving us instructions as per people not being under NAT.

Eircom router NAT settings are not easy to use also.

I need NAT on for PS3 online

I am pretty sure thats whats causing the problem and I cant get past it.

I have tried port checker on my pc and its timing out on 6050 but thats on my pc and not my ATA device...

We had the same issue at work with our IP pbx we were setting up for someone. They were eircom too but iirc it was a netopia they had.

Calls out were fine.
    About 50% of calls in reached the blueface voice mail.

I'll ask the guy who dealt with it what he did, i'm not sure if it was on the pbx or the router side.

Appreciate it. Mine is a Netopia router too. :o

I assume they are giving us instructions as per people not being under NAT

No. The vast majority of ATA's connecting to Blueface will be behind NAT so their service is able to handle that fine. Your setup is probably typical of a huge number of their customers (i.e. an ATA behind an Eircom router). Have Blueface's own tech support suggested anything?

If you've followed their instructions to the letter then it should just work unless something else has been changed. You might have tried all sorts of changes and left something set in either the router or the PAP2T that is causing he problem.

• Advertisement

No. The vast majority of ATA's connecting to Blueface will be behind NAT so their service is able to handle that fine. Your setup is probably typical of a huge number of their customers (i.e. an ATA behind an Eircom router). Have Blueface's own tech support suggested anything?

If you've followed their instructions to the letter then it should just work unless something else has been changed. You might have tried all sorts of changes and left something set in either the router or the PAP2T that is causing he problem.

I have followed to the T but I will triple check.

Maybe them hoors at eircom are blocking incoming traffic on them ports?? :confused:

Maybe them hoors at eircom are blocking incoming traffic on them ports?? :confused:

Very unlikely. Have Blueface offered any help? It really should be straightforward.

Very unlikely. Have Blueface offered any help? It really should be straightforward.

All they can advise is to use thier settings ...

They dont offer support for Routers .. eirom dont offer much either

What I cant understand that if NAT is blocking it then why is it still registering with the ATA? Unless it just voice packets?

Try changing the Register Expires from 3600 (60m mins) to 180 (3 mins).

Also test if inbound calls are okay immediately after the PAP2T has registered (i.e. power cycle the PAP2T and make an inbound call before anything has a chance to timeout).

Having problems with your VoIP connection then look at these possibilities:

• More than one device with DHCP enabled between the ATA and the public IP.
    • A device that uses NAT unfriendly SIP or SPI.
    • Firewalls blocking the UDP packets needed for the ATA
    Found this too while searching

Also test if inbound calls are okay immediately after the PAP2T has registered (i.e. power cycle the PAP2T and make an inbound call before anything has a chance to timeout).[/QUOTE]

Tried this ...

Try changing the Register Expires from 3600 (60m mins) to 180 (3 mins).

Think I have tried this but will keep in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When I changed my handset to a Siemens AL14H I had to drop the registration down to 25 secs to prevent most of my incoming calls going straight to voicemail.

FSL wrote: »
    When I changed my handset to a Siemens AL14H I had to drop the registration down to 25 secs to prevent most of my incoming calls going straight to voicemail.

Will try that too when I get home tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Without going into too much specifics The issue we were having was that Eircoms DNS server didn't support the messages we were sending it and it would eventually fall back to something they did support. We changed what we sent Eircom, but changing the DNS server (maybe OpenDNS) should sort it too (if you're having the same problem as we were!)

I think though that your problem must be a config issue, what stun server are you using?

• Advertisement

I think though that your problem must be a config issue, what stun server are you using?[/QUOTE]

Does that matter?? :confused: Ive tried 2 of them.. are there specific ones for this type of setup? Ive tried 2 I pulled off other forums.

When I first purchased the ATA I went straight to the Blueface website to configure it. It worked for calls out no problem but in all I have tried I still cant get it to recieve a call.

I used the config from bluface and since I have tried numerous things like assigning an ip to the ata .. taking off the firewall .. using a stun server... changing other timing settings... keeping NAT alive ... installing a soft phone ... (which did actually ring once) and then it stopped dead after the second attempt. (I might look into that again). I am aware that they need seperate ports. 5060 / 5061.

Im ready for the men in the white coats.. :pac::pac::pac:

Got sorted all incase anyone else having the same problem. Voltage on the ata wasnt enought to power the phone I was using. changed it to 90 in the web settings and worked a treat! thanks all! :cool:

Advertisement