Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should all girls over 17 be offered the pill?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

So walk through town (any town), and your bound to see a young mother pushing a pram. A child with a child. Surely she cant be as good a mother as a thirty year old woman. She is still maturing and growing both mentally and physically.

What if she had had the courage to ask he parents could she go on the pill because her and he boyfriend were having sex. Most parents wouldn't want their children having sex but doing it safely is better than having a child and hampering their advancement in society.

I think it would be a good idea, for the Irish government to offer all girls the chance to accept the pill, free of charge until they are 23 years of age if they should so wish to do so. ie. if Rebecca and Seán want to have sex they will have a smaller chance of parenting a child as a result.

This would mean a huge drop in the number of unwanted pregnancies. Girls being able to continue in school and college. providing a more skilled workforce. Take the funds being given to the children and build roads, schools, hospitals, airports, windmills, hydro-electrec power stations, pay off the country's debts and invest in the future of Ireland.

But most of all it could ensure that there are fewer unwanted children who live below the poverty in this country and a smaller amount of broken homes.

would just like to know everyones thoughts on this.

Should girls be given the CHOICE to go on the pill for free? 77 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 77 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I agree.
    Also, all boys, upon reaching puberty, should have a reversable snip job done.
    We'll start with you.
    Are you up for it?

As soon as you reach puberty of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Eh, no.

Why? Because it's a f*cking stupid idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

I thought the age of consent was 17, no?

I'd agree it should be made available if they want it. Free of charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The red one or the blue on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

No, because a free pill from 16 sends a message that you should be having sex from that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Gary4279 wrote: »
    This would mean a huge drop in the number of unwanted pregnancies. Girls being able to continue in school and college. providing a more skilled workforce. Take the funds being given to the children and build roads, schools, hospitals, airports, windmills, hydro-electrec power stations, pay off the country's debts and invest in the future of Ireland.

Then everyone gets HIV because "shure I'm on the pill" and dies, the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

How about not raising girls to be sluts and not raising boys to be sex-crazed animals? Or just kill 50% of kids...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Then everyone gets HIV because "shure I'm on the pill" and dies, the end.

We get that too with "AH SHUR LIKE HE PULLED OUT I TINK I DUNNO HOW I'M UP D DUFF", from little scummers all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

em, maybe condoms would be a better idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

considering the age of consent is 17, it seems stupid to offer the pill to 16 year olds as this is basically going against the law! doing this will only encourage people to have sex and will do nothing to prevent the spread of stds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Fup you OP. If my mother had been giving the pill at 16 I wouldn't be here now, and boards wouldn't be getting the benefit of my fascinatingly erudite comments!!!:pac:

Seriously though, no. AFAIK, there's a strict regimen involved in taking the pill. If a girl can't be bothered to make sure her fella slaps a jonny on, then it's unlikely that she's going to use the pill properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gary4279 wrote: »
    So walk through town (any town), and your bound to see a young mother pushing a pram. A child with a child. Surely she cant be as good a mother as a thirty year old woman. She is still maturing and growing both mentally and physically.

You haven't really thought this one through, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How about not raising girls to be sluts
    "Sluts" are "raised" to be so?
    not raising boys to be sex-crazed animals?
    Kill libido? I'm sure that's one of the things Orwell envisioned in 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Not everyone can take the pill, some have adverse reactions to it. Also the pill is not 100% effective. Proper sex education is what is needed. The pill does not protect against STD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

The pill is hardly going to be given out free when they wouldn't foot the bill for the cancer vaccine:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

How about not raising girls to be sluts

Shut the hell up man.

We need sluts. Moar sluts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Dudess wrote: »
    Kill libido? I'm sure that's one of the things Orwell envisioned in 1984.

Will the pill kill libido?

em, maybe condoms would be a better idea?

You're joking right? You can get those legally now. Do you really picture Damo wanting to buy a pack just to ride some burd?

snyper wrote: »
    Shut the hell up man.

We need sluts. Moar sluts

If we didn't raise little boys to be sex crazed animals, we wouldn't need moar sluts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

what business is it of yours.

I'm sure if she wanted to take the pill she'd be on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

King Felix wrote: »

Not all women can take the pill.

Its a pretty serious drug that many take for granted, there are some strong side effects. Ontop of the fact that it needs to be taken correctly or you're wasting your time taking it

King Felix wrote: »
    It can do, one of science's cruellest ironies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Hmmh a tricky one. They should be given the pill if they need or request it. It shouldn't be a problem to get it from the doctor at that age.
    I think they're should be more locations where you can get free condoms....apart from freshers week in college:D

Ooh Snypee - you're so understanding of women's issues. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Wouldn't work.
    Like has been said, the age of consent is 17 for a start. And the pill doesn't always work, and doesn't suit all people.

And there's far more important things to be spending that money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

Ok fine maybe offer them it a 17.

Note the word 'offer' not force. if they and their parents decide its for the best the so be it.

agree that sex education is for the best and should involve parents. mine involved an old lady explaining the mechanics of sex. not what sex is really about.

free condoms in 6th year, college, youth clubs ect... for the 1st few weeks there would be balloons all around every boys school but they would eventually get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OP, you haven't really thought this through, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

We get that too with "AH SHUR LIKE HE PULLED OUT I TINK I DUNNO HOW I'M UP D DUFF", from little scummers all over.

:eek:

Don't doubt the power of pulling out....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

OP, you haven't really thought this through, have you?

yes, its quite simple.

cost of pills is less than child allowance

they have a choice to go on it after consulting with a doctor.

they get the pill for free so everyone can avail if they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Wouldn't work.
    Like has been said, the age of consent is 17 for a start. And the pill doesn't always work, and doesn't suit all people.

And there's far more important things to be spending that money on.
    Yeah like all those poor bankers for a start. I think free contraception is a great idea, both the pill and condoms should be free to the young (over age of consent obviously) and to the unemployed who might not be able to afford them. Cuts down on unwanted pregnancies, and combined with good sex ed for the youngsters will will make a serious dent in the numbers of people catching std's. Such an initiative would probably save money in the long run.

Advertisement